Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

30 Pages V  « < 28 29 30  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Department Stores, What did I miss?
Betsy2009
post 28th Jul 2015, 11:17pm
Post #436

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 28th Jul 2015, 08:55pm) *
Posh shops for when my clothes were bought for me. C&A when I was buying my own!

I've just realised what that must sound like!!!

All I meant was that my gran would save up for ages and take me to one of the good department stores to by me a 'quality' skirt. When I was old enough to buy my own clothes I much preferred to have a couple of cheaper skirts so I could change my clothes more often to be in fashion rather than having something that would be the same for years.
My gran didn't have much but what she did have was 'good' stuff.
Funnily enough, I changed into my gran as I got older!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
toerag
post 30th Jul 2015, 01:05am
Post #437

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 167
Remember when I worked in the town, Blythswood Street, we got to go to Sauchiehall Street for lunch, the place I worked was Esso Petroleum and they gave us Luncheon Vouchers, anyone remember them, and we got to go get our lunch up town!!! funny the things that come back in your memory!

+Quote Post
*Alan Jardine*
post 8th Jul 2016, 08:45am
Post #438

Hi Fergusons confectionery is now made by Golden Casket Greenock.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 29th Jul 2016, 07:44am
Post #439

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
QUOTE (sylviajane @ 22nd Jul 2008, 10:56pm) *
Does anyone remember a shop called 'Dallas' which was near the Cowcaddens subway?
Also there used to be a lane over to the right of that shop going towards the city where there was a row of shops and I've wondered for many years where those shops were and what shops were there...that's all I can remember....
lovely big shop , remember it well.. it always had crystal in the window.. thought very posh..

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 2nd Aug 2016, 09:54pm
Post #440

QUOTE (dizzybint @ 29th Jul 2016, 07:44am) *
lovely big shop , remember it well.. it always had crystal in the window.. thought very posh..

Cant remember it for the life of me, but the last thing I bought to wear in Glasgow was at the main CO-OP store. It was a genuine Harris tweed jacket on sale ( too bright fur Glesga) for 5 pounds! Very cheap. also bought a pair of indestructible leather soled shoes for 35 shullins.

I still have a photo of me at a wedding wearing said jaickit. And the shoos.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 2nd Aug 2016, 09:58pm
Post #441

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Billy Boil @ 2nd Aug 2016, 11:54pm) *
Cant remember it for the life of me, but the last thing I bought to wear in Glasgow was at the main CO-OP store. It was a genuine Harris tweed jacket on sale ( too bright fur Glesga) for 5 pounds! Very cheap. also bought a pair of indestructible leather soled shoes for 35 shullins.

I still have a photo of me at a wedding wearing said jaickit. And the shoos.

Just elegant!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
*evelyn smith*
post 5th Apr 2017, 08:59am
Post #442

QUOTE (AnneTeak @ 21st Jun 2009, 12:44pm) *
Does anyone remember the really expensive food shop in Union Street called Ferguson's? Just down a bit from the entrance to Central Station.
As a rare treat we would get some amazing cakes from there. I still dream about their peach flan!

+Quote Post
**Clelidiob**
post 7th Sep 2017, 01:26pm
Post #443

What is with Winnipegs apparent obsession with department stores? Ive heard this noted before by Winnipeggers, and the stores just seemed out of proportion with the size of the city.

+Quote Post
*Bully Boiul*
post 14th Sep 2017, 04:01pm
Post #444

QUOTE (*Clelidiob* @ 7th Sep 2017, 01:26pm) *
What is with Winnipegs apparent obsession with department stores? Ive heard this noted before by Winnipeggers, and the stores just seemed out of proportion with the size of the city.

That is common to mall major Canadian cities. The small enterprises were chocked of by massive malls and "enclosures" posing as shopping centres. The loss of speciality shops is irreversible.

If you wish to see the peoples preference got to False Creek Vancouver at the weekend. People are more than willing to pay the extra and go the extra mile for artisan produced quality foods.

+Quote Post
LinnyBinny36
post 24th Oct 2017, 08:11pm
Post #445

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,955
Dallas's in Cowcaddens (next to Grand Cinema) had their own 2-stop SUBWAY below ground floor! Ironic as they FACED Cowcaddens subway station! (1940's-50's)

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 19th Nov 2017, 08:53pm
Post #446

QUOTE (LinnyBinny36 @ 24th Oct 2017, 08:11pm) *
Dallas's in Cowcaddens (next to Grand Cinema) had their own 2-stop SUBWAY below ground floor! Ironic as they FACED Cowcaddens subway station! (1940's-50's)

Never heard of that one, but I have been in a Tokyo department store wher the train stopped at a platform in the actual store.

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  « < 28 29 30
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.