Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rationing.
angel
post 5th May 2015, 12:30am
Post #76

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (taurus @ 4th May 2015, 08:57pm) *
we didn`t have carpets(true story) and I used to borrow a neighbour`s carpets and beat them over the railings out the back court,so I could look like "normal" folk.I was about 14.

When I was a child we never had carpets .... living in a single end with 7 of us and a dad who wasn't the biggest wage earner on the street but was never idle in his life , .. he could find work when others could not and when I was about 7/8 years of age I became very much aware that other children had so much
more than I and because they lived in better condition's than me . I was in fact ashamed of my circumstances , and never once did I invite a school friend to were I lived . as a matter of fact as I got a bit older I became extremely unhappy with my lot . this situation in my life did not change until I was 16 yrs of age

I think that no matter the age of that young person/child , poverty does have a devastating effect on them emotionally, as a matter of fact this condition is repetitive and probably contagious if one is not able to run like hell and get away from it .

Unfortunately in this day and age these conditions still exists in this wonderful civilized western world in which we life . Rationing or not . Whose to Blame , the parents or the powers that be .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
taurus
post 5th May 2015, 05:23am
Post #77

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
I have said all this before on another forum and got shot down in flames,but I know for a fact,that while we were living in abject poverty,in my case,a lot of the time my mum wondering where the next meal was coming from,a visit to the pawn always helped,I still say the English,even in their worst of conditions,were better off than us in the East End. I visited my auntie in Manchester,in what eventually was considered such a blight on the horizon ,the houses were all demolished,yet,in her 2 up and 2 down,with front and back door,into their own wee yard and out to a wee lane,,that still made me yearn for something better.They seemed to me,a wee girl at the time,as "well off".My point being,it seemed to be ingrained and taken for granted that the English would have a better standard of living than the poorest areas of Glasgow. We could see it when we emigrated to Australia,the people we met,who were as working class as us,so many of them had houses to sell before leaving,we didn`t come across any in the hostel from Glasgow who did. The government kept the people of Scotland down,in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 5th May 2015, 08:55am
Post #78

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
I really don't think you can blame the English for your situation. Better too blame the GCC.
I came from 16 kids in a two bedroom tenement. When I was a bit older I spent a couple of weeks in the Summer on Mull where my uncle was a forester. Fabulous times were had but I didn't compare where they lived to my home. It was just different, that's all. Taking what you've said above, I should blame the islanders for my situation. That seems a bit daft. Maybe it's just attitude. I've lived in posh places and I've lived in dumps but always just got on with it. It's up to me to change it not some far away politicians.
I'm sorry you had such a terrible time when you were a kid and have to say that I do appreciate that I was lucky.
I've just remembered one of the dumps I lived in. It was a basement flat in London with the bath in the hall behind a curtain!!! Four of us shared it so there were always people coming in and out. Eek!

+Quote Post
zascot
post 5th May 2015, 02:25pm
Post #79

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Taurus your lucky, we didnae huv carpets so my ma used tae take me oot the back an beat me. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
angel
post 5th May 2015, 04:04pm
Post #80

Mega City Key Holder
I don't think that rationing made the slightest difference if you where poor , I know my mother couldn't afford to buy what she really needed and there was a couple of times when she sold the clothing coupons as others did , to get money mellow.gif

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 6th May 2015, 02:04pm
Post #81

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
QUOTE (zascot @ 5th May 2015, 03:42pm) *
Taurus your lucky, we didnae huv carpets so my ma used tae take me oot the back an beat me. biggrin.gif

Your'e lucky Zascot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
taurus
post 7th May 2015, 11:37am
Post #82

City Key Holder
brilliant!! who could ever top Monty Python in the poverty stakes. Say no more biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
taurus
post 7th May 2015, 11:42am
Post #83

City Key Holder
Anyway,the one thing rationing did was give us all good teeth,(sadly a lot of mine went to the bin in later years) and studies showed that the British people ,during rationing had good health with a controlled diet,and no obesity.Not all bad news then.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 7th May 2015, 02:14pm
Post #84

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Taurus, you reminded me of two things which are kinda linked in my head. We received a food parcel, allegedly originating in the USA, sometime during the mid 50s. It had strange dried red butter beans (aye, we know now it was Kidney Beans rolleyes.gif ) amongst the stuff in the box. By coincidence, we also got a letter from my aunt, who had emigrated to Australia with her family a few years earlier. They left "for a better life", in no small part because of the after effects of the war. Ironically, while we were doing OK food wise, she was complaining about what life was like in their transit accommodation in Yeerongpilly, Brisbane. Although we lost contact over the years, I don't think things went particularly well for her or her husband but I'm sure my cousins reaped the benefits of the opportunities on offer. I hope so anyway.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Rab
post 7th May 2015, 02:49pm
Post #85

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 7th May 2015, 12:59pm) *
Anyway,the one thing rationing did was give us all good teeth,(sadly a lot of mine went to the bin in later years) and studies showed that the British people ,during rationing had good health with a controlled diet,and no obesity.Not all bad news then.

laugh.gif Reminds me of when I was in my 50s and I went to my new dentist in a small English village. He took a look in my mouth, frowned, shook his head, looked at me and said 'Lanarkshire?' laugh.gif

'Close enough' I replied.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rab
post 7th May 2015, 02:52pm
Post #86

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Rab @ 6th May 2015, 03:21pm) *

Sorry -should have read 'You're lucky Taurus' laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 7th May 2015, 09:55pm
Post #87

City Key Holder
Right enough Rab,compared to that wonderful skit,I was a princess!. Anyway,in spite of the rationing,and the war,and all that ,my childhood in our house,full of love and all the comforts my mum strived to provide us with I wouldn`t change one minute of it,it`s all part of living.To young kids growing up,it was the sweetie rationing bothered us the most,the poor mammy was left to worry about all the other (important) deprivations.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 7th May 2015, 10:05pm
Post #88

City Key Holder
yes Ashfield,the early migrants had it hard,a big culture shock in every way,it wasn`t always a good move for everyone. In 1961 we thought we wee having a hard time in the migrant hostel ,before we settled in to the way of things and worked hard to get out of it,it felt like a prison sentence,as were tied in for 2years. we got friendly with a lot of people who`d arrived something like 14 years before us,and heard the horror stories they had to tell,we realised it wasn`t so bad after all.I was years bfore I got over missing Glasgow and all the family and friends we left behind.

+Quote Post
angel
post 8th May 2015, 06:20pm
Post #89

Mega City Key Holder
I never missed Glasgow , Scotland , but I certainly missed my parents and siblings .

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 10th May 2015, 08:22am
Post #90

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Agree with you Angel. I have never missed Glasgow, although I have been back quite a few times when I have had business in the UK.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd Aug 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.