Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Holyrood 90210: Glasgow Reality Tv, High school fly-on-the-wall documentary
GG
post 2nd Jan 2011, 10:09pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Education bosses at Glasgow City Council have been criticised for allowing the independent television company behind the controversial reality show 'The Scheme' to film a fly-on-the-wall documentary at the city's Holyrood secondary school. Politicians, pyschologists and education experts claim that the authority is guilty of exploiting pupils and leaving them open to feelings of exclusion or jealousy.

It has also been claimed that officials at the council, whose institutions regularly feature at the bottom of school league tables, are pandering to a growing obsession young people have with celebrity culture.

Filming has already begun at the school in advance of a scheduled broadcast of three one-hour episodes to be shown on BBC Scotland later this year.

Tom Harris, Labour MP for Glasgow South, commented:
"I am not entirely comfortable with the notion. I have never believed that reality TV is anything of the kind, people behave differently for the cameras, and I don't think it's particularly healthy for children."

Dr Cynthia McVey, a leading pyschologist at GCU, said:
"A lot of people feel fame and celebrity is everything: it makes them feel loved and worthy. Secondary school is a time when children are often self-conscious and young people who are not picked to be featured in this programme may feel excluded and jealousy could arise."

Nick Seaton, an education campaigner, claimed that the filming could distract pupils from their studies. Mr Seaton added that he believed authorities should have turned down the request to film in order to work harder at improving standards.

A spokesman for Glasgow city council responded:
"The head teacher and the school staff have worked very closely with the BBC, parents and pupils to make this a positive experience. The entire Holyrood community is exceptionally proud of the school and the great work it does and they are keen to show that."

The council insists that only children whose parents have given prior written consent will be featured in the shows.

Attached Image

The 'best of' The Scheme, a fly-on-the-wall documentary by the same company filming in Holyrood. WARNING: contains very strong language:

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**Helpmaboab**
post 2nd Jan 2011, 11:43pm
Post #2

Jings, I've now heard it all! If I were a parent of one of these pupils and they filmed my child without my consent I'd sue their troosers aff!

There will be tears at bedtime with this one!

+Quote Post
*Janice smith*
post 2nd Jan 2011, 11:59pm
Post #3

QUOTE (*Helpmaboab* @ 2nd Jan 2011, 11:21pm) *
Jings, I've now heard it all! If I were a parent of one of these pupils and they filmed my child without my consent I'd sue their troosers aff!

There will be tears at bedtime with this one!

???

+Quote Post
Atget
post 3rd Jan 2011, 12:00am
Post #4

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,635
Never mind this controversy. What about an M.P. who spells "Comfortable" with two Ms?

+Quote Post
Rob Rattray
post 3rd Jan 2011, 12:19am
Post #5

Visitor
Member No.: 7,864
Can't see rhyme nor reason why this CANNOT proceed! If the parents don't seem to approve, they're the ones who either need counselling or think they're one better than the Almighty!
It is in these circumstances that the so-called students would not even know if/when they were filmed anyway, if at all, so there's nothing to complain about.
Send me copies of the completed job for it probably will not be televised in Australia for many years if ever.

--------------------
God Bless
Rob

"SUPER SIDERA VOTUM”

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 3rd Jan 2011, 12:30am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I hope this is not some production company making a cheap show and end up having a good pop at Glasgow and some of its kids.I will however put money on some school kid coming out of this as the new celebrity of 2011.Will it be wee Kylie frae Toryglen or maybe Kerry frae Cathcart?

+Quote Post
*jimmy g.*
post 3rd Jan 2011, 01:08am
Post #7

I think this programme should be screened... it would give parents an insight to what happens when their children attempt to be educated???

Because it doesn't seem to work when i overhear their conversations on buses, in the area of Holyrood School.

Waken up parents!!!

Jimmy G.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 3rd Jan 2011, 01:29am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
The majority of voters have made an overwhelming descision to give a resounding no to this enterprise. Unfortunately bureaucracy knows best and the wishes of the majority, in the interests of social control and manipulation, will be ignored in totality. Has anyone wondered where they come from? As a teacher in Australia, I can assure readers that in the intrerests of the children, if reporters turn up at the school gate the police are not far behind them. There would be no photography of childrens faces no matter what, and those allowing would soon be looking for an alternative income. I expect also that the anti-social website for the disfunctionals and perverts, Facebook, will be called into play to help identify the participants, exposing children of all ages to the scrutiny of the perverted, the obssesional, and the paedophile.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 3rd Jan 2011, 01:34am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (Rob Rattray @ 2nd Jan 2011, 11:57pm) *
Can't see rhyme nor reason why this CANNOT proceed! If the parents don't seem to approve, they're the ones who either need counselling or think they're one better than the Almighty!
It is in these circumstances that the so-called students would not even know if/when they were filmed anyway, if at all, so there's nothing to complain about.
Send me copies of the completed job for it probably will not be televised in Australia for many years if ever.

It will probably never be screened in Australia as we do have laws governing the media exposure of children at school in this country.

+Quote Post
Mary48
post 3rd Jan 2011, 01:46am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 241
The more I read of these 'reality' programs the more I think Ben Elton was on the mark when he wrote BLIND FAITH

Scary stuff sad.gif

--------------------
From Larkhall, no that far away really.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 3rd Jan 2011, 02:09am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Nick Seaton, an education campaigner, claimed that the filming could distract pupils from their studies. Mr Seaton added that he believed authorities should have turned down the request to film in order to work harder at improving standards.

Scraping the barrel here. Englishman Nick opposes the Scottish Government's plans to charge English Students intending to study in Scotland less than what they have to pay to study at an English equivalent. He claims ‘It risks making Scotland more parochial and insular.’ I'm not quite sure how parochial and insular we are but the I live in Glasgow unlike the rent a gob quoted above. I'm sure a Yorkshireman like Nick would have lots to teach us about parochialism and insularity.

He also hates big schools so his view on Holyrood the most successful Catholic school in Glasgow and the biggest school in the city are obviously going to be coloured. All in all you''d have to be desperate to use him in any argument on Scottish education.

+Quote Post
*Claire*
post 3rd Jan 2011, 02:33am
Post #12

Tom Harris, Labour MP for Glasgow South, commented:

"I am not entirely comfortable with the notion. I have never believed that reality TV is anything of the kind, people behave differently for the cameras, and I don't think it's particularly healthy for children."

I would like to hear more from Mr Harris on this subject. IMO it's about time Glasgow's Labour MPs took a greater role in shaping the future of this city. They are the most senior and able politicians we have yet they seem to have been sidelined in recent years.

+Quote Post
*June Macnab*
post 3rd Jan 2011, 02:38am
Post #13

I just sat down to catch up on posts and find back to back glasgow guide videos of the x-factor, whatever that is, with scantily clad women prancing about the stage with the usual message - women's bodies are for sale - (and please, please don't tell me C is a great artist and doing this in the name of art!!) --- then some supposed adults and teen agers smoking like chimneys, using foul language and running from the police over drugs (all in front of very young children who nobody seems to pay any attention to) and the girls doing the usual thing and arguing over the pathetic 'boys'!! My God, is the message never going to change? This is as always about exploitation by the few to make big bucks and in the 2nd video it exploits some poor, under educated young women. What in heaven's name is the message these 'teachers' and council is trying to send? And don't mention Elvis in defence - look how he ended up. North America is leading the way in all this debauchery and I am just waiting for the fall of Rome! Again! June Macnab Vancouver Island, B.C.

+Quote Post
beezzneezz1
post 3rd Jan 2011, 03:06am
Post #14

Visitor
Member No.: 6,906
well in years to come when these kids go for a job then this could discrimanate against them as there would be employers could remember them for all the wrong reasons , as we all know kids will act up just for the sake of it so for the future for the kids then this is all wrong ....and these are supposed to be educated people who decide all this .... ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 3rd Jan 2011, 09:58am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Why cant parents etc take photos of their children in school plays, yet this TV company is allowed access to the school?
I will give the programme a miss, unless its as good as The Scheme biggrin.gif
Bye for now, norrie.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.