Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> School Memories Were They The Best Days?, Teachers and 1st & last day of school etc
Rating 4 V
petalpeeps
post 16th Oct 2007, 01:59am
Post #16

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
HI Maryhillgal , I went to Garrioch Secondary , wisnae brainy enough tae go tae NK laugh.gif A lot of my friends went to NK so lost touch with them .
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 16th Oct 2007, 02:00am
Post #17

Super City Key Holder
Forgot to add , went onto secondary around 1967 .

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 16th Oct 2007, 02:04am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
You're a bit younger than me P/Peeps. When did Garrioch become a secondary? My husband went to Garrioch but it was a primary then.

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 16th Oct 2007, 02:16am
Post #19

Super City Key Holder
Not sure Maryhillgal , i went there from 67 to 69 when we moved to pollok. I know that part of Garrioch is used for one of the colleges ,think it is Stowe college

+Quote Post
stratson
post 16th Oct 2007, 03:08am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Loved primary school days, by the time had reached S.S. could not wait to leave rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Avril
post 16th Oct 2007, 09:06am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Hi MHG, my wee cousin Maralyn (yes that's the right spelling smile.gif ) went to Garrioch Primary then around 1963 until 1968 she went to NKS.

My dad also went to NKS but that was back in the early 1930's.

Alex my cousins lived in Liddesdale Road just opposite Miltonbank and they had to go to Chirnsyde. Miltonbank infants was down by Scaraway Street and the juniors was up at Scalpay Street. I think Torogay Street was the dividing line which decided whether you went to Miltonbank or Chirnsyde

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 16th Oct 2007, 09:51am
Post #22

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Stuarty - I didn't know there was a Springbank Academy. From 1945 till 1953, I lived in Hinshaw Street and went to Springbank Primary in the same street. Is this the same building?

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 16th Oct 2007, 10:21pm
Post #23

Super City Key Holder
I don't know when Garrioch became a secondary school . However there was three parts to Garrioch when i was there .The top building just as you turned off Maryhill road , was where i went for registration , halfway down the road was what we called the huts . A few low buildings with a large playground attached .Right at the bottom of the road was a larger school building , which i am sure was originally Garrioch Primary . Part of Garrioch is now used by Stowe College .

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 22nd Oct 2007, 01:29am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
P/Peeps, the top building was the old Eastpark Junior Secondary school. When I left Shakespeare Primary, if you passed your quallie you went to North Kelvinside Senior Secondary and if you failed your quallie you went to Eastpark Junior Secondary. Actually, both schools were good schools.

+Quote Post
*Guest Janice **
post 13th Nov 2007, 03:21pm
Post #25

QUOTE (lindamac @ 21st Feb 2007, 10:49 PM) *
Take it aweboady hated school & would prefer not to chat aboot it och well a tried tae bring yees summitt new 11 hits not a comment says it awe shame int it wurr runin oota hings tae blether aboot hahaha

Yeah I Loved NKS, are you Linda MacFaden , I am Janice Rough do you remeber me??

+Quote Post
*Guest sally **
post 27th May 2008, 02:31pm
Post #26

hi i enjoyed my school days, i went to ruchill primary i remember the head teacher was called miss park, she was very strict. there was a lovely teacher called mrs cunningham who was a great teacher i think every pupil liked her. i am going back to 1960 when i started primary. when i left ruchill i could have went to nk but decided to go to garrioch but secondary school as my friend was going there. i did enjoy garrioch though, when i was there it was all girls classes and all boys classes. i remember the rules where that the girls had to walk on one side of the pavement, and the boys the other side when moving from one part of the school to go to another part if changing classes. the girls and boys had seperate playgrounds i went to garrioch from 1967 to 1970. does anyone remember mrs blake the english teacher she was a really good teacher. what other teachers does anyone remember if they went to any of these two schools at the same time i did.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 1st Jun 2008, 05:44pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I loved school ,cant really remember my first day.However I do remember about two weeks later got on the tram at Alexandra park and I guess my big sister and I got on the wrong one .You see it turned at Aiken St instead of going right up Cumbernauld Road. We both went hysterical .The conductress got off and put us on the next car. Will never forget it.
Hated to leave my primary , Still did enjoy Charlotte St.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
*Guest Maria **
post 1st Jun 2008, 06:30pm
Post #28

QUOTE (Isobel @ 1st Jun 2008, 05:51 PM) *
I loved school ,cant really remember my first day.However I do remember about two weeks later got on the tram at Alexandra park and I guess my big sister and I got on the wrong one .You see it turned at Aiken St instead of going right up Cumbernauld Road. We both went hysterical .The conductress got off and put us on the next car. Will never forget it.
Hated to leave my primary , Still did enjoy Charlotte St.

The school was always referred to as Charlotte Street because that was it's location. It's proper title was Our Lady of St Francis. Does the school still exist? Charlotte St was the senior secondary school for Catholic girls. St Mungo's was the senior secondary school for Catholic boys. There used to be senior and junior secondary schools before comprehensive secondary schools.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 2nd Jun 2008, 12:07am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Yes I am aware of the proper title,but as you say we all referred to it as Charlotte Street. In answer to your question ,I believe the girls now go to St Mungo's.Not sure if Our Lady & St Francis is still standing.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 2nd Jun 2008, 04:44am
Post #30

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
Hi Isobel.

Have you seen this old Charlotte St school photo?

http://www.glesga.ukpals.com/schools/olsf1951.htm

Are you in it? I am not suggesting you are that old. wink.gif

Seeing this old photo reminds me that my parents have old school photographs. I know my dad has an old class photograph from St Mungo's Academy, Parson Street, Townhead which must have been taken around 1948. Similarly my mum has an old class photograph from St Anne's Primary school next to the Gallowgate, which also must have been taken around 1948.

According to my mum, she was meant to attend Our Lady and St Francis, Charlotte Street but her parents could not afford to buy her the uniform, so instead she attended Sacred Heart Secondary School in Bridgeton - along with most of her friends - which I assume must have been a junior secondary school.

I must get round to posting these old school photographs sometime.

Paul

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.