Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buying Black Babies, school
rosie-k
post 4th Apr 2007, 03:24pm
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
I still have the Black Samba bank, I got it when I was born , you can still put money in it and the kids and grandkids have all played with it.
They always get the money back they put in as it has no bottom. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 18th Jul 2007, 01:39pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
they black sambo banks are worth a few bob noo so if you want to sell him am sure u would get lots of black babies as they say

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
gallowgategal
post 4th Sep 2007, 09:59pm
Post #18

Settling In
Member No.: 4,498
I remember the black babies biggrin.gif

Each card had 25 spaces and cost 1/2p each so it cost 12 1/2p to name a black baby. I usually called them after my aunts and uncles so there should be a few black 40+ year olds called Mona, Sadie, Archie, Frank and Harry cool.gif

--------------------
Have I missed anything ??? ???

+Quote Post
toerag
post 5th Sep 2007, 02:43am
Post #19

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 167
Stuarty, my husband had one of they banks when he was wee, so was always on the look out for a replacement, so he now has a wee collection, three of them, he bought one at the Barras in Glasgow!! He bought another at an antiques show in Toronto! On the bottom of one it has the name Jolly n----- bank, not politically correct in to-days society!

+Quote Post
stratson
post 5th Sep 2007, 06:00am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
As a child, used to take the jelly jars for this cause, s'trange, canny remember ever fillin' a card, mind ye, ma da had quite a few o' his ain, possibly that's why!

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
wilstar
post 13th Oct 2007, 12:03pm
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,066
Much to my unfortunate circumstances of education, in consequence of attending a junior secondary school, I still recall the collections of the large pennies for the "Black Babbies". It was however, clearly explained by our teachers that this was not some form of laterday slave procurement but a charitable act. The purpose of the gathered revenue was to feed, clothe and educate the children of those less fortunate than ourselves residing in the "Dark Continent". This is not to say that we,(my class mates and myself) were of an affluent background, but, to the contrary we had parents who themselves were in fact struggling to make ends meet. Those of the immediate post WWII generation, will concur with my sentiments on this subject.

+Quote Post
Angel Eyes
post 15th Nov 2009, 11:48pm
Post #22

Settling In
Member No.: 7,743
I remember buying loads of black babies and being able to give them all names that you were allowed to give them once you'd filled up your card. I was a wee lassie who liked her money's worth (still do!) so I would use every single bit of space at the bottom of the card once it had been filled up with pennies, and for one wee black baby, their name would go something like this, 'Eileen Geraldine Penelope Maria Esmeralda Kathleen Rose! God love them! Like they didn't have enough problems. I loved reaching the bottom of that card to give out another 10 names or so.

+Quote Post
Mario BROGAN
post 15th May 2011, 01:00pm
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,976
Halo there Tommy,
I wouldny worrie about it too much A was convinced that the famous Black Babies were the Black Currant or liquorice version of Jelly Babies and couldnt understand why Miss O Neil always seemed to dissapear with the cash to then continue with the lesson, as if nothing had happened. Maybe it was in those days that I decided to join the POLICE............

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 16th May 2011, 05:35am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
Highly recomended reading on this subject;
Elmore Leonard's "Pagan Babies"
You will never again contribute without thinking thrice!!!

+Quote Post
beth
post 16th May 2011, 07:38am
Post #25

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
"Black Sambo" used to visit us every Friday to receive the pennies we so happily gave, just to see his hand throw the pennies down his throat. We were told it was to feed the starving black babies in Africa. Never thought then that I would be living amongst them!

+Quote Post
Melody
post 16th May 2011, 07:59am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I thought that it was the silver milk bottle tops that saved the black babies. Whit were we saving them for?

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 16th May 2011, 08:17am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Silver milk bottle tops? You must have been fae the posh side o' the railway line. We only had Alu tops laugh.gif
All these many years later and we're still being asked to contribute to the starving in Africa. The big Live Aid Concerts of the mid '80s under the leadership of Bob Geldorf were a great step forward but basically not much has really changed in the end; the starving goes on.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
Melody
post 16th May 2011, 08:31am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
laugh.gif Och ye know whit ah mean. They were silver tae me, still are. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ionnsaigh
post 16th May 2011, 09:36am
Post #29

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,122
QUOTE (Melody @ 16th May 2011, 08:07am) *
I thought that it was the silver milk bottle tops that saved the black babies. Whit were we saving them for?

Ours went to the convent on Roystonhill.

--------------------
The Dear Green Place.

+Quote Post
benny
post 16th May 2011, 10:43am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Use tae be silver paper - including milk bottle tops, and the stuff frae the auld type fag packets - was saved "for the blind". Ah don't know whether they went tae a local blind charity, or tae the RNIB, or whatever, but that's whit ah remember savin it fur. Never heard of the "black babies" stuff though. Mebbe we were too skint tae ask fur donations.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.