Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buying Black Babies, school
big tommy
post 10th Oct 2005, 03:26pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
An interesting story from another site:
I honestly believed that I was buying a Black Baby from Africa!! After donating my penny, I watched excitedly as the teacher marked off each box on the grid, and patiently waited until every last one was filled in. The teacher would announce in class that you had finished the card, and you got a clap from everyone and it made me feel so happy and that I has done something really important. I got a certificate for filling my card and can only assume that in my innocence it was a form of adoption papers.

The following week at school my teacher asked me if i wanted another card to collect more pennies. Can you imagine her face when I said "But please Miss, I haven't had my other Black baby yet!!"? She was speechless and could only blink and say, "But Thomas , you didn't really think you were going to get a black child from Africa, did you?" To which I replied, "Well Miss, after all, I did pay for one."

My first self inflicted real "riddie" and I can tell you I still cringe with embarassment before I burst into laughter. When I think about it the teacher couldn't have explained to us properly about the collecting for charity that we so lovingly donated every day with such unselfish conviction. So yes, I'm going to say it - "Miss, it was your fault!"

I still feel a tug at heart strings when I think about how let down I was that day. I was gutted!

As told by Tazza

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elkhnd
post 10th Oct 2005, 04:06pm
Post #2

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,408
I'll have the adoption people from several major US cities contact you.....better late than never biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 10th Oct 2005, 04:33pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
A wee bit late for a baby now ..A widower and 75 year old .

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
elkhnd
post 10th Oct 2005, 04:40pm
Post #4

Lord Provost
Wait..aren't you the one who made the post about it not being too late to learn an instrument?

It'll be like giving a puppy to an old dog, adds years to their lives!

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 10th Oct 2005, 05:14pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I remember buying a wee black baby , it was a great feeling to fill the book up ,I often wondered how they got the money to Africa? and awe they big pennies whit a weight the were rolleyes.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 10th Oct 2005, 07:19pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Dear Elkhead

Sorry! But the only instrumen i ever learned to play was the gramaphone
Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
Heather
post 10th Oct 2005, 08:25pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Tommy, I well remember taken in a penny to school to buy a 'black baby'. Mum used to tell us she had enough babies of her own ( eight of us ) without us buying any more.

I was surprised when my son started school in the 60s, to find out that buying black babies was still on the go.

Recently we had our loft insulated, so we had to clear it out and among the treasure's we found were a couple of our son's certificate's for the babies he bought. The difference in his day was that when the baby was paid for, the children were allowed to give the baby a name of their choice. smile.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
boots
post 10th Oct 2005, 09:03pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,524
Elkhound, sorry, you're accusing the wrong person. I'm the guilty party. So how's your music coming along?

Sorry folks, I'm off topic there.

+Quote Post
elkhnd
post 11th Oct 2005, 02:27am
Post #9

Lord Provost
Sorry, I should do better research. I'm a bit behind in practice, but I do have a lesson tomorrow. Teacher favors old country/cowboy songs, hopefully I can get him to help me with Eleanor Rigby, or When I'm 64!

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 11th Oct 2005, 06:21am
Post #10

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
I can't remember buying a black baby, but I do remember black sambo (that sounds terrible now) the nuns use to bring it around the classrooms and you placed your penny in it's hand and it put it in it's mouth.

I loved it I use to drive my mother mad wanting money for it. I think this money was more for the priests and nuns to go to Africa.

+Quote Post
Angela Chick
post 11th Oct 2005, 10:25am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,713
Like weesmasher a dont remember buying one, but i remember the teacher having a jar on her desk and saying to us to put our spare pennies in it for africa, this was in 1975 at my primary school.

--------------------
Tell it like it is

+Quote Post
Glasgow Girl
post 12th Oct 2005, 12:23am
Post #12

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,419
Oh if only babies were so easy to come by. I remember giving to the black babies, but never enough in my opinon, so in my tiny mind that's why i never got one?

God Bless all babies

--------------------
Triumph is temporary, glory is eternal.

+Quote Post
wee sammy
post 12th Oct 2005, 01:02am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 64
I remember buying a black baby they had that card and they ticked it off every time you gave a penny then you gave it a name i called mine Harry he must be about 40 years of age now and he never called me once so if you are out there Harry i am still waiting ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 12th Oct 2005, 01:13am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Well ahm sure he'll no be hard tae find Sammy...HARRY????? fae AFRICA???? laugh.gif

We too had the Black Baby certificates, like you say Sammy I think the whole stamped page wis how much? Wis it twelve pennies?..or a shilling? Cripes ah cannae remember.
Then it was called the Biafran Mission, I think you're right weesmasher, it was more for the missionary's themselves to go there.
I think my mum still subscribes to the Buchlyvie Fathers, they're missionary's too.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 12th Oct 2005, 02:02am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I remember black sambo we had one in our class .You put your penny in his hand and it went up and into his mouth. We had a card and every penny you put in,one of your boxes got a x . When you had paid in full ,half a crown ,You got to name the child. I only ever remember naming one ,Anne. I always liked that name. biggrin.gif

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.