Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Space Shuttle In The 1980s Flying Over Glasgow?, Anyone remember seeing space shuttle?
Glesga Geek
post 25th Sep 2011, 10:11am
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 10,803
I came across this post from another forum : http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewto...p?f=3&t=788

and I do remember being took out of class into the playground to look up and saw a plane with the shuttle attached - it was high up and I remember the sun reflecting off from it and my teacher saying that its something we will always remember (he was right!) -

But can anyone really confirm the year? I was so sure that I was in primary school at the time though I left in 1982 but some on that forum think it was 1983 and not 1981- which would mean I was in secondary school... now I am all confused !

can anyone remember seeing it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 25th Sep 2011, 11:01am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I remember that well,Major Tom(Kennedy that is) was in command,just going up to confirm that the earth was still flat.Can you hear me Major Tom? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 25th Sep 2011, 11:09am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
The Boeing 747 carrying the Shuttle Enterprise landed in Stanstead Airport, where I was on contract with Aviation Traders at that time, in ... June 1983.
It was built for test purposes and wasn't capable of spaceflight. It's spare parts were later used in the construction of the Space Shuttle Endeavour after the loss of the Challenger Shuttle.
1981 was the year of Columbia's maiden voyage. That's probably why you're gettin' the dates a bit mixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB7gY7lwBE0

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Glesga Geek
post 25th Sep 2011, 11:23am
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 10,803
thanks for the quick replies! now its a fact that I am not 41 and getting old and so is my memories!!

That means I was in secondary school 1st year ! its so vague in my head now... smile.gif

+Quote Post
klingon
post 25th Sep 2011, 11:50pm
Post #5

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
Yup-it was 1983 coming back from the Paris airshow and as stated did a flypast over Glasgow and East Kilbride-I seen it from my garden in Johnstone-just hanging there like a big toy!-it was the Enterprise which was mounted on the 747-the pre-production mockup used for glide tests and landing checks-it's in a museum in the USA now-as will all the shuttles be shortly-so sad to see them go but they were getting old and outwith their lifespans.

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
Sandra1
post 24th Aug 2012, 07:53pm
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 11,150
Glad I found this.I have told my husband about this many times and didn't believe me! proof at last !!! Thanks all !

+Quote Post
*Field Marshal*
post 1st Oct 2012, 10:51am
Post #7

I saw it in Johnstone also, all the kids were taken outside at school to watch it - it was very low and was piggy back on a Boeing 747. Cannot find a single photo of it though; plenty for it at Paris or London but not one picture of it over Scotland. As a nation, not one of us was able to get the batteries in the Polaroid.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 1st Jul 2013, 08:27pm
Post #8

I was due to pick up my friend and drive to East Kilbride to see the space shuttle flypast. My friend slept in and instead we went to the highest point behind his house . Just as we got to the top part of Giffnock quarry the space shuttle flew over on the back of a 747. It was so low we could see the pilots!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.