Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blessed John Ogilvie, John Ogilvie School
hopalong cassidy
post 28th Jan 2008, 02:06pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 3,490
I went to Blessed John Ogilvie Easterhouse, from 1965-72. My First teachere as Mrs Seenan and the head Mistress was Mrs Fox. The Head master was Mr Madill, here retired and was replaced my Mr Mcdonald. My last teach was Miss Glendinning.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Tommy Nevin*
post 31st Jan 2008, 06:04pm
Post #2

Hi,

Great to see your entry.

However, and surprisingly, the school was, in fact, called Ogilvie Primary and the church was named Belssed John Ogilvie until he became a saint.

A common mistake that I made, and kind of keeps us all a bit confused.

We should all go for the real and original name of Ogilvie Primary.

Best regards,

From Tommy Nevin
(brother of Mary, Michael, Pat, Joseph and Kathleen).
You must know at least one of that lot.

+Quote Post
hopalong cassidy
post 1st Feb 2008, 08:08pm
Post #3

Visitor
QUOTE (Tommy Nevin @ 31st Jan 2008, 06:11 PM) *
Hi,

Great to see your entry.

However, and surprisingly, the school was, in fact, called Ogilvie Primary and the church was named Belssed John Ogilvie until he became a saint.

A common mistake that I made, and kind of keeps us all a bit confused.

We should all go for the real and original name of Ogilvie Primary.

Best regards,

From Tommy Nevin
(brother of Mary, Michael, Pat, Joseph and Kathleen).
You must know at least one of that lot.

Yes, I know the name. My late mother know the family. Sad to see the old school gone.

+Quote Post
*Scott Bandy (formally Scott Gilb*
post 28th Jul 2008, 06:41am
Post #4

Tommy!

If you're the Tommy Nevin who lived at Starpoint in S'pore, e-mail me at: Sbandy@activision.com. It's me, Lee's son, Scott! smile.gif

I'm also trying to reach you via Pat and the BBC...

Hope you see this,

--S

+Quote Post
*ellen davis*
post 13th Sep 2008, 08:22am
Post #5

i also went to john ogilvie primary from 1961 1967 i stayed opposite the chapel , no 120 wellhouse sister of john , mick , pat, philip , mary margaret and theresa hahahaha u must know one of us!!!

+Quote Post
hopalong cassidy
post 3rd Oct 2008, 07:09pm
Post #6

Visitor
Hi Ellen, do you have a sister, Margaret? if so I was in her class

+Quote Post
*Thomas Ward*
post 9th Feb 2010, 01:29pm
Post #7

Hello All,

I too attended John Ogilvie Primary and was an altar boy at Blessed John Ogilvie. Funny, but I was quite upset when I realised that both buidings were no longer there, especially the church. It seems almost perverse to knock down such a famous building. Of course I remember Mr Nevin - as we are related! It would be nice to hear from you! I left John Ogilvie Primary around 69, and Easterhouse around 73.

I remember Mr Byrne, Mr Murphy, Miss Glendinning,Miss King, Mr Madill (the headie) - does anyone remember Mrs Teviot? I spent some time up at the annex, perhaps for a year or so. I lived in Banton Place, off Wardie.

I suppose it sounds nostalgic, but I believe they weren't such bad days; the church and the school were such a big part of my life, it's hard to believe they are no longer there. But we have our memories, eh?

I am related to the Nevins and the Jones girls who lived in Eddelwood. I was friendly with the McShane boys, Brian & Jim.

I would love to see some pictures of the church and the school.

Get in touch Tommy!

Tom Ward, Blantyre.

+Quote Post
*Stephen McAree*
post 28th Nov 2011, 04:15pm
Post #8

Attended Ogilvie Primary from 1962 until 1969. Last teacher was Mr Byrne and some of my classmates were Sharon McPake, Sarah Warren, Angela Bryden, Phillip Scholtz, Pat Donaldson, Nora Gibson, Brian McShane. I remember you, Thomas Ward. I used to live at the corner of Wardie Road and Bantom Place. I lived there until 1976 and then travelled around the UK working with a national company. Returned to Glasgow in 1984. Joined an international organisation the following year and in 1988 was sent on my first overseas posting. Spent the next 13 years working in several countries. Finally put down roots in Australia where I live today. I return each year to Glasgow to visit family and friends and was there in July this year. I often reflect back on my days at John Ogilvie and the friends I had there.

+Quote Post
*Jean Wright*
post 20th Jul 2012, 08:48am
Post #9

Hi, I didn't go to the school but was married in the church on 29th December 1962 and we celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary this year. My husband came from Baldovan Cres and I came from Haliburton Cres (no longer there) but I belonged to St Benedicts but they had not built the church then and had mass in a hall. I remember Fr. Henry McGinn asked if we had to get married, as you could not get married in Advent in those days!! We moved away from Easterhouse and made our way to Australia i 1966. Sorry to see that the building was demolished.

+Quote Post
*john mc causland*
post 12th Dec 2013, 09:29pm
Post #10

Hi I also attended john ogilvie 1967- 1971 then went to st gregorys, miss jones was our teacher classmates I remember, joseph finnegan good football player and michael nevin just as good, also john glendinning, mabel spears, mathew cant remember surname he was handicapped loved footie as well, good days would reverse time if i could, we lived in 38 wellhouse crescent. Left easterhouse and moved to livingston 1973,now i live in london scince 1978,great memories well some of them at least. John mc causland

+Quote Post
*ellen davis*
post 10th Feb 2014, 09:34pm
Post #11

QUOTE (hopalong cassidy @ 3rd Oct 2008, 07:26pm) *
Hi Ellen, do you have a sister, Margaret? if so I was in her class

yes i have a sister called Margaret

+Quote Post
*Brian fox*
post 12th Mar 2014, 05:33am
Post #12

I also went to to St john Ogilvie from 74 to 81 before i moved to Australia it would be good to catch up with anyone who remembered me, bf1970@hotmail.com.

Brian

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 29th Oct 2014, 11:38pm
Post #13

I also went to St John ogilvie primary from 73 until 80. Best years of my life moved away from Glasgow in 82. Great memories of easterhouse. :-)

Theresa mcvey.

+Quote Post
*Michael Simpson*
post 14th Jul 2015, 03:15pm
Post #14

I think I left the school in 1962. Lived on the Kilmarnock Rd in Newlands. I remember a classmate called Bezoari - he would snitch on you if you talked! In summer one of the sports was throwing the cricket ball to see who got it furthest. I was second or third - the guy who came first each time was real good. We played rugby at the St Aloysius school playing fields way away.

Anyone remember any of this? I moved to Manchester area when I left.

Michael Simpson.

+Quote Post
*Jim dunn*
post 21st Aug 2015, 10:30am
Post #15

QUOTE (ellen davis @ 10th Feb 2014, 09:42pm) *
yes i have a sister called Margaret

I was in your class.

Jim Dunn.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.