Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Funny Things You Hear, Overheard conversations
sumac
post 18th Aug 2020, 11:09am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
I thought I’d start a new topic because we need a wee laugh now and again. These are things I heard while teaching.

Parents Evening and one of the mum’s was pushing her son out of the school door, smacking him over the head to the beat of her words - “Yur teacher sayed yur fantastic - fantasticly stupit!” slap slap.

One of the absence notes read, “Please excuse Sharon’s absence from school. She had a brain scan but they couldn’t find anything.”

An infant teacher asked her class who could give her a sentence with the word “tap” in it. A wee boy’s hand shot up. He told the teacher,”The tap ay ma heid’s awfy sair.”

Written in a News Book in P2 - no Ramona, no Ramona. I asked the wee girl to read me her story - “Ah’m gaun tae ma aunties, no ramora, no ramora but ramora.”

In the 70’s, in my P7 class, the topic was Current News. One of the boys was telling us that Princess Margaret was in Mustique with her boyfriend. Another pupil commented that she couldn’t have a boyfriend because she was “an auld wummin” then quickly added, “Oh sorry, Miss!” “Why are you sorry?” I asked. “Because she’s your age. I didnae mean tae call you an auld wummin!” I was all of 25!

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
taurus
post 18th Aug 2020, 11:47am
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
it`s good to remember wee funny things from your past and still enjoy a wee laugh. Years ago we took out Yorkshire friends to a special auction for antique clocks and watches. My husband was in the trade. Just had to retire recently with cataract op gone wrong (twice )!! and a hand tremor. This woman liked to watch the pennies,but her husband was flambouyant,if she wanted a thing she got it. She looked at these gorgeous clocks,200 years old some of them,and when the auction got goimg and she heard a price,she said in her terrific accent,'bluddy hell you could get new for that money ". she never lived it down.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 18th Aug 2020, 06:04pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I once had an elderly chap (probably younger than I am now ) tell me his wife was recovering from having an "insurrectomy" unsure.gif Amongst many of my favourites was a woman who told me she that a sinkhole had appeared in her back garden. She wondered why I was laughing when she told me a council official was coming to look into it tongue.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
taurus
post 18th Aug 2020, 09:25pm
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
still smiling here Ashfield,my cheer up for the new day just starting.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 19th Aug 2020, 08:33am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
As a wee laddie I was always unsure when going into the water on the coasts. My older brother in explaining bouyancy to me had told me that being able to float meant that the grabity wouldn't pull me down.
I was always expecting that grabity to grab me at some time or other. Bliddy stuff of nightmares was for me, laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
sumac
post 19th Aug 2020, 10:32am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Oh, THH, you poor thing! But it’s still funny. 😁

--------------------

+Quote Post
sumac
post 19th Aug 2020, 10:42am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Something like your story that wasn’t so funny at the time.

My daughter, nearly 40 now, but 5 then, was having lunch after school, watching TV with me. It was at the time when the reason for AIDS was being discovered. I was too busy making lunch to notice what was on. She became very quiet and then a wee tear dripped from her eye. I asked her what was wrong and I would fix it. At first she wouldn’t say then she blurted out, “I don’t want to be 6, Mummy.” When I asked her why not, she said she would get the disease and die when she was 6. She was really scared. It transpires that the reporter had said you get AIDS after SEX and there was no cure so you would die. God love her! 😰

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 19th Aug 2020, 11:14am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
That reminded me about the joke where the TV interviewer goes up to an island off the north of Scotland to discuss the life of a shepherd who'd lived alone there since a young man.
They covered how he coped with the rugged weather and kept his croft in order with the basic of tools and how once a month a boat comes and drops of victuals which he can't provide for on the island in return for a few lambs once or twice a year.
"An important question which I cannot allow to go unanswered", asked the young lady interviewer, " is, what do you do about sex?"
"Oh, I make me a bowl of porridgge around then", he replied.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
sumac
post 19th Aug 2020, 12:38pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
🤣🤣

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 19th Aug 2020, 06:23pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 19th Aug 2020, 09:33am) *
As a wee laddie I was always unsure when going into the water on the coasts. My older brother in explaining bouyancy to me had told me that being able to float meant that the grabity wouldn't pull me down.
I was always expecting that grabity to grab me at some time or other. Bliddy stuff of nightmares was for me, laugh.gif

My first primary school, St Teresa's in Possil, was a coral of single classrooms at one end and a wood and brick building at the other, before it mysteriously burned down rolleyes.gif It had a wooden platform joining up the class doors and, at 5 years old, my 5 years older brother told me to meet him at the wooden platform. When I asked a "big boy" where the "granda" was he fell about laughing. He pointed and said the verandah is over there blush.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
taurus
post 19th Aug 2020, 08:57pm
Post #11

Super City Key Holder
when I was young sex was what the coalman brought the coal in when you lived in Kelvinside.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 20th Aug 2020, 08:57am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
When my two daughters started asking ME tricky questions, i would tell them sex came after five and before seven.
I know, im a coward lol

+Quote Post
sumac
post 20th Aug 2020, 09:06am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
I’ve just remembered when my nephew started primary school (he’s in his 40s now). He complained to his mum that the teacher told them they were going to gym. When the class got to the big hall, Jim wasn’t there. 🤭

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 20th Aug 2020, 12:11pm
Post #14

Super City Key Holder
this goes back to the 60`s. My father in law had just arrrived and there was a boxing match on in the local club. he was a mad keen boxing fan could name every winner back to 1912 sort of. He went with his 3 adult sons,and you can imagine the 4 of them all talking. some young smartie Aussie blokes behind them starting taunting them about their accents. My husband was worried his brothers might get in to a fight,but the old man couldn`t take any more. He said,whit youse sayin we hud tae come tae this country to learn youse yins how tae talk English. problem solved,Aussie boy speechless and the brothers all had a great laugh and the legend still around to this day.That same old man went to work in a car pool of young blokes,and they all talked about the weekend how much sex and whatever they`d had. The old man said oh for F.. s sake talk aboot somethin fur eatin.they made him uncomfortable.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 20th Aug 2020, 03:01pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 20th Aug 2020, 09:57am) *
When my two daughters started asking ME tricky questions, i would tell them sex came after five and before seven.
I know, im a coward lol

That explains my problem Dave . I did`nt get home till 8. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Sep 2021

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.