Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buying Black Babies, school
TeeHeeHee
post 16th May 2011, 10:47am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Right Benny, I remember the silver paper collections for Guide Dogs for the Blind.
Never figured oot what the dogs would do with the silver paper. cool.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 17th May 2011, 06:05am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 16th May 2011, 08:55pm) *
Right Benny, I remember the silver paper collections for Guide Dogs for the Blind.
Never figured oot what the dogs would do with the silver paper. cool.gif

Thea used them tae make trails so they could see in the dark!!!!

+Quote Post
RonD
post 17th May 2011, 07:01am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Don't remember any collections for Black Babies but I do remember the wee box for collecting for Dr. Barnados Homes. Ma Mammy always found a few pennies for this as she was brought at Qurrier's Homes in Brig O' Weir.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Glesga Geek
post 25th Sep 2011, 09:56am
Post #34

Visitor
Member No.: 10,803
I remember this!!

I was at Primary School from 1975 - 1982 and well remember that around 1977-1980 collecting monies for black babies as part of the school and church campaign. There was a little cardboard collection box that each of us got and we had to fill it up with 2p pieces. I think if you collected 30p worth or 1 you sent it off and got a certificate or similar !

There was also a drive for the Ethipian Famine in the early 80s where we were encouraged to donate bashed tins of food or those with no labels to the campaign. They were sent by some mysterious people to Ethiopia but I always wondered what would they think of when some terrible person would have sent unlabelled tins of dog food instead !?

+Quote Post
benny
post 25th Sep 2011, 12:05pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
If ah wis starvin ah'd hiv a go at dug food - it disnae seem tae dae the dugs any herm. Merr important, ah hope they remembered tae include a tin opener in their food parcels tae the Ethopians.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
irene seddon
post 24th Apr 2012, 12:53pm
Post #36

Settling In
Member No.: 11,516
smile.gif Delighted to see a link for The Black Babies. When I was at school in the mid 1940's we used to have a large chart on the wall with stairs going up. Every time you brought some money in the baby would go up a step until you reached 2/6d at the very top, which gave the impression of Heaven. In those days, as you can imagine it took a long time for children to get many "babies" which we duly gave names. Every time I hear Led Zeplin's tune "Stairway to Heaven I think of this chart and all the pressure to get a "Baby".

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 7th May 2012, 01:25am
Post #37

Whenever I've brought the "black baby cards" up with my friends they look at me like I'm mad! they had different coloured ones at my school in Blantyre and they were different prices. You collected them, horrible bloody things wi pictures of dyin weans on them. I'm glad I've finally found some other people who remember them coz i thought I might have been hallucinating! and when I googled them this is the only link that came up!

+Quote Post
taurus
post 26th May 2012, 11:44pm
Post #38

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
We had collections for the black babies when I went to Sacred Heart in the 40`s,my mum never had any pennies to spare for we seemed as poor as all these wee black babies and all the other poverty stricken nations. However one year when my stepfather was home from the sea he gave me tuppence,I was so proud being able to drop it in the box as it came round the classroom. I was only about 7 or 8 at the time. when I came
home from school my stepfather said " well where is it?" I said what? and he said the wee black baby,I gave you tuppence to buy me one where is it? He was a great joker,we laughed a lot when
he was on leave,typical Glaswegian with a dry sense of humour.

+Quote Post
**Donna**
post 28th Aug 2012, 11:20am
Post #39

I really did believe that I was buying a Black Baby from Africa!! After donating my penny, I watched excitedly as the teacher marked of each box on the grid, and patiently waited until every last one was filled in. The teacher would announce in class that you had finished the card, and you got a clap from everyone and it made me feel so happy and that I has done something really important. I got a certificate for filling my card and can only assume that in my innocence it was a form of adoption papers.

The following week at school my teacher asked me if i wanted another card to collect more pennies. Can you imagine her face when I said "But please Miss, I haven't had my other Black baby yet!!"? She was speechless and could only blink and say, "But Donna Marie, you didn't really think you were going to get a black child from Africa, did you?" To which I replied, "Well Miss, I did pay for one."

My first self inflicted real "riddie" and I can tell you I still cringe with embarassment before I burst into laughter. When I think about it the teacher couldn't have explained to us properly about the collecting for charity that we so lovingly donated every day with such unselfish conviction. So yes, I'm going to say it - "Miss, it was your fault!"

I still feel a tug at heart strings when I think about how let down I was that day. I was gutted!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.