Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doggers Card, Did yie have wan
Dave Grieve
post 19th Jan 2012, 04:22pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Who among the board had a Doggers Card, I got mine at St Roch's annex up in Provanmill and am convinced we only got caught because our teacher decided to leave early one day and found four of us already sitting on the bus when he climbed on at Royston road. rolleyes.gif
We used to answer the roll call for the first class and then when moving to the next one do a runner out the gate up to the Provanmill Inn and catch the bus from there.
Worked a treat for months until we got Busted.
The system was changed after that and there was a roll call at every class. laugh.gif
It was good while it lasted
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 19th Jan 2012, 04:45pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Only reason I attended school wus to get the belt for no attending it, never got a chit to be signed or anything as Whitehill was a posh school and it's pupils where trusted as adults. Mwahaha, big mistake.

Used to brick it solid when anywan chapped the door, always thought it wid be the School Inspecter doing the rounds. Them buggers ken't where to go looking for doggers.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 19th Jan 2012, 04:50pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I was never a dogger as I liked going to School. Seriously I did.

One day my mum kept me off because I was not well. After she left the house to take the younger one's to school, I got up and dressed then went off to school. I fainted in the classroom and the Janitor carried me home to a very annoyed mum. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 19th Jan 2012, 04:58pm
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
I got caught in the basement of lewis's listening to the records. Nice man came up to me and and made some discreet enquiries of me. Couple of days later the man was at the door asking my mum if she knew i had been off school on such and such a day. Had to get it signed at every class

+Quote Post
westieshome
post 8th Oct 2014, 12:38am
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,657
Saint Mungo's Academy.

Got doggers card three times. Twice expelled but very persuasive father got me back in !

Still managed to get some highers and o levels. Left the Mungo in 1968 and went to Canada in 1969.

Gerry

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 8th Oct 2014, 03:10am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Ha'...had one for years in secondary school,got it initialed every period,every week,every year!!....went to court twice!....I learned all I had to know in nursery school!...lol

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 8th Oct 2014, 03:13am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Forgot to mention.....I held the school record for the most truant and the most belt.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 8th Oct 2014, 03:15am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Forgot to mention.....I held the school record for the most truant and the most belt.

Oooops' double post.

+Quote Post
ktv
post 8th Oct 2014, 07:10am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
I avoided most of second year so had one the whole of 3rd n 4th year.

still managed to pass all my exams though so I put that down to 2nd year just being a filler year between going to secondary and starting the exam work haha.

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 8th Oct 2014, 07:50am
Post #10

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I was always subtle. I lived near the school and would nip home unnoticed and nip back if there was something I liked. Regret it a bit now though.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 8th Oct 2014, 09:01am
Post #11

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
I've never heard of doggers cards. Were they in use when I went to secondary school (1953-1957)?

I was only an average student but generally tried hard to learn. The worst thing I did at school was when I was around 14. Like all my family, I was football mad and when Rangers drew (I think) a Scottish Cup game one Saturday it was to be replayed mid-week following. I took the day off school, feigning sickness, to go with my Dad to the game and, worried my Commercial teacher would twig where I had been, I took the next day off too. He knew fine well where I had been and said to me quietly on my first day back "did you enjoy the game"? Was my face red!

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
Ruchazie Rat
post 8th Oct 2014, 04:58pm
Post #12

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,702
I don`t think there were Doggers Cards in my day. 70`s-80`s. Instead, if I recall, the end bit of The Report Card was given over to attendance. Complete with "comments" box. Enough said!

angry.gif

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 9th Oct 2014, 06:33am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 8th Oct 2014, 11:18am) *
I've never heard of doggers cards. Were they in use when I went to secondary school (1953-1957)?

I must have got mine about 57 - 58

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 10th Oct 2014, 10:26pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
QUOTE (Ruchazie Rat @ 8th Oct 2014, 06:15pm) *
I don`t think there were Doggers Cards in my day. 70`s-80`s. Instead, if I recall, the end bit of The Report Card was given over to attendance. Complete with "comments" box. Enough said!

angry.gif

Doggers Cards were definitely about in the 70s, don't know how I never got one as I missed most of my 3rd year French classes. In St Augustines it was rumoured that the headmaster had been doctoring the registers, giving the school a great attendance record but I've no idea how much truth there was in the story. Mary

+Quote Post
lindamcf
post 10th Oct 2014, 10:53pm
Post #15

Resident
Member No.: 9,006
We called it a Plunky Timetable.
You had to get it signed in everyclass and then take it home for your Mum to sign it.
It was such a hassle and fair put you off skipping classes. ( so i was told laugh.gif )

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.