Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> School Trips
Purplefan
post 27th Mar 2011, 07:27pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
what was your memories of your school trips, good or bad?
I used to dog school quite a lot, and i was only ever been on three, Twice to the zoo and once to
the pantomime, it was a theater in the Gorbals (can't remember it's name)
But it had Francie and Josie. And they did this routine that still has me in stitches thinking about it.
Francie came on and sung the Alexander brothers song, These are my mountains, and Josie would
stand there, and his chest would get bigger and bigger. It was the funniest thing i ever saw.
P.S. I went to Hawthorn primary in possilpark.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tombro
post 28th Mar 2011, 09:09am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
My first 'School Excursion' was from St Sixtus in 'theDrum' to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery, circa 1958. We walked up to Moneymusk Place to catch a Number 9 Corpy bus, I sat on the top deck right at the front and I loved the Gallery.

One painting stuck out in my mind from that day (Salvador Dali's portrayal of 'The Crucifixion').

Some ten years later, after emigrating to Australia at the end of 1960, I presented an Art Assignment at High School based on that early childhood memory and was given an 'A plus', the only time I ever got more than a 'C' for anything in art !

Purplefan, I've now been a teacher in Oz for more than thirty years (still going at 61) and you can see some pics of my latest school excursion (September last year) on this site if you search. It's called Tombro's School Excursion and it was a two day, overnighter !

Great idea for a topic, mate !

Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
ilookedup
post 28th Mar 2011, 11:14am
Post #3

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,232
First thought on seeing this was that we never went on school trips. Then I remembered a few! Calderpark zoo; I went there twice at primary school. My memory is that it was freezing. I spent a month at a school camp in Abington, I think in 1961, last year at primary school.
The only trip I remember from secondary school was a brilliant day out we had on Cumbrae, would be when I was 15 or 16. Cycling around the island (chasing girls). Chucking rocks ito the water (and chasing girls). Generally just trying to do anything to attract girls' attention. Aaahhh.
Tombro - I hit 61 yesterday.

--------------------
Breathe in for passion, breathe out for joy.

+Quote Post
notaneastender
post 26th Apr 2011, 12:29am
Post #4

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,296
Does anybody remember summer/holiday school trips in the 1960's from Glasgow to Findochty in the North East. My parents have great memories of taking kids there when they were young teachers. I now live within striking distance of Findochty and often think about how long the journey must have been from Glasgow around the coast.

+Quote Post
gemini anne
post 26th Apr 2011, 01:27am
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,817
hi folks, my memories of primary school trips is mainly visiting calderpark zoo, and outdoor venues on the coldest, wettest days of the year!! im sure our "heidy" had an upsy on the weather! best trip wi secondary was goin to an outward bound girls school in Wales, think it was called Rhowniar. had my first go at abseiling, scary but fun once i found my nerve. loved doin the "boy" stuff withoot the boys...rock climbing, sailing, field sports etc. the fittest week of my life haha

+Quote Post
Chrissie
post 26th Apr 2011, 03:17am
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,556
I remember going to Hamden Park to see the Queen and Pres. Eisenhower. The schoool also took us to the theater to see pantomines. One trip we were taken on had to do with VD (aka STD). I don't remember where it was but they had pictures and body busts that were supposed to depict what happened to you if you got one of the 7 different kinds of VD. None of us understood what we were looking at and had no idea what they were talking about. rolleyes.gif

The primary school also took us on longer trips. We would bring two bob every monday to the teacher for a given amount of weeks for our trip. This was back in the late 1940s. I remember one year we spent a week at Campbelltown and another year we went to Stranraer for a week. They were really good wee trips and they took us on side trips while we were there. That's when I saw Davaar Island with the painting of the crucifiction in the cave. smile.gif

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 26th Apr 2011, 03:35am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
QUOTE (notaneastender @ 26th Apr 2011, 10:46am) *
Does anybody remember summer/holiday school trips in the 1960's from Glasgow to Findochty in the North East. My parents have great memories of taking kids there when they were young teachers. I now live within striking distance of Findochty and often think about how long the journey must have been from Glasgow around the coast.

We lived in Portknockie for a few years , it was the next wee village on the same coast as f'nichty, as pronounced by the locals (Findochty), i worked in the hospital in Bucky for a few years as well , nice part of the world.
Now bacl to the topic , i rember 2 school trips , one the quali trip to Culzean Castle , it was magic and also Edninburgh zoo , it was a great day as well.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 19th Aug 2012, 09:15am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Auchinairn Primary, one excursion to Edinburgh zoo and an afternoon at Portobello beach c. 1956.
another was to Helensburgh. I couldn't understand why we were swimming in the the big pool when the beach was 200 yards away. The last one was to Dunoon with its rocky beach, the first time I tasted Coca Cola.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Don C.
post 5th Jan 2014, 07:38pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 25,806
Hi on our last year at Primary School ( St. Louise Primary ARDEN ) we where taken to The sunny Island of good old Milport for our last year treat. Still have many fond memories of that day. Down to Largs then on the Boat, Packed lunch in hand,I don't think it lasted to we got to Milport.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Don S. Cairns

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Jan 2014, 04:07pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
A school trip I made (1956) was with our class of 12 year old boys to Loch Lomond which included a climb up Ben Lomond where, on the way up, we passed a spritely old Lady and her young granddaughter on their way back down looking as if this was just a daily stroll for them.
Back at the Loch it was decided that we could all go skinny-dipping but the sight of two woman approaching from a short distance away made us uncertain if we should.
"If they're Ladies," said Mr Pettigrew, "they wont look. If they're not Ladies, it doesn't matter. tongue.gif
A skinny-dipping we went. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 6th Jan 2014, 10:59pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
On a geography outing to Galashiels our teachers very foolishly left the class to our own devices for about an hour. It was a beautiful warm spring day and the teachers wanted a wee bit of time on their own (pub).
The River Tweed as it flows through the town is quite shallow, but quite fast flowing. So we were all warned with the wagging finger, "Nobody is to go in the river." Needless to say the minute all adult supervision had gone about twenty lads and lasses jumped into the Tweed. Quite a few of us got skint bums and legs as we slid over the rocks in the fast flowing water. Did we get sympathy when our teachers returned? Naw we got leathered.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.