Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doon The Watter, A boat trip
stratson
post 24th Apr 2006, 11:49am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Will be Going Doon The Watter as often as possible this year(Free travel an tha. haha!)
Will call at your pals pub stuarty and convey your "Hello".
My aunt and uncle had a wee house in Bridgend st. Now buried in Rothesay, They retired there man tears ago from Anderston.

sorry, off topic again rolleyes.gif .

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 25th Apr 2006, 11:48am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
It is not quite "doon the watter" but next Saturday 29 April, at Inverary, there will be an unique opportunity to sail in a Clyde puffer.

As part of the "Show Scotland 06" event, the Scottish Maritime Museum will be organising trips on Loch Fyne on the refurbished puffer Vital Spark. This vessel is one of the few puffers which remain seaworthy. There is a great deal of interest in the trip and the organisers recommend advance booking. Telephone 01499 302213

For other events in "Show Scotland 06" visit the link:

Show Scotland

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
lizeeloo
post 25th Apr 2006, 02:09pm
Post #18

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,209
How fortunate you all are to be able to still sail Doon The Watter.... and seniors for free. I am dead jealous stratson....

I want to do all of those things advertized on the Show Scotland website.

My most vivid memory of those trips was the one I made to Rothesay then on to the local bus to Port Bannatyne for a weeks holiday with my best girlfriend . We were just 18. Met a bonnie wee lad called Johnny at the local dancehall in Rothesay . He was a reporter for the Buteman He kept on waving to me from the dock til we were out of sight as I sailed back up the Clyde. We were in luv wub.gif
Never saw him again...sighhh

--------------------
lizee

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 26th Apr 2006, 02:07pm
Post #19

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
I remember going doon the watter with my grannie in the late forties and early fifties for the day. There was the Queen Mary 2 paddle steamer I was told it changed it name so that the Queen Mary name could be put on the Luxury Liner launched a John Browns.

I seem to remember the name Jeannie Deans another paddle steamer but not sure if that was the name of a barge that sailed on the Canal may be someone can jog my memory.

The most frigtening thing I can ever remember happening on a ship was on a trip coming back to Glasgow after a days sail. We were just about to dock at the Broomilaw and everybody made for the side of the ship we would get off the ship began to roll over in that direction. I skipper had to give out a warning over the tannoy system for passengers to move quickly from that side so as to bring the ship upright again. As a young boy it stuck in my mend now when I sail anywhere I am usually the last to make for the exit.

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 26th Apr 2006, 02:29pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
You are correct, the Jeanie Deans was a paddle steamer. Scariest moment I had on a trip doon the watter was coming back from the Cowal Games. I was about 10 I guess and the boat was full of competitors at the games (I was a highland dancer). I was joking with one of the big heavy weight competitors and I guess giving him some lip. He lifted me up and set me on top of one of the life boats and walked away and left me there to stew for a while.....

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 26th Apr 2006, 04:04pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Hi Hudgy,
I think we may have been on the same trip! Was there quite a swell in the water and the Captain had to make a couple of tries to get moored, the hawsers kept missing? Everybody went to watch and if I remember correctly it was on the starboard side so, of course, the ship started to tip. I can remember my Daddy scooping me up and carrying me to the other side of the ship. Not much was said but of all our trips "doon the water" that one really stayed with me and I was pretty young, not even in school yet.

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 26th Apr 2006, 11:32pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
Hello Huddgy, further to your Reply #19, I can give you a bit of information about the Clyde steamers you mention. The Queen Mary II was not a paddle steamer. She was built in 1933 and called simply, "Queen Mary", but renamed 'Queen Mary II' in 1935 in deference to the giant Cunarder "RMS Queen Mary", (as mentioned by you) and nearing completion at John Brown's , Clydebank. The 'Queen Mary II' originally had two funnels, then they were changed to the more modern single squatty one. With one or two funnels, she was a fine looking steamer.

You are correct about there being a paddle steamer, the Jeanie Deans. She was built in Fairfield's, Govan, in 1931. I don't recall any canal barge by that name. It is possible there was an earlier steamer by the name of 'Jeanie Deans', but I don't know for sure.

Cheers, Dugald.

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 27th Apr 2006, 04:03am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Here's the one funnelled Queen Mary II, was doon the watter on her a good few times. It was a real treat to make the trip, especially at a young age.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
keelie gal
post 27th Apr 2006, 08:07am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,519
I remember going to rothesay with my gran n granpa and it was always raining i think the last time we went it rained the whole week i remember lena zavaronis parents had a chip shop out there and they were the best fish n chips you could get wub.gif

--------------------
ITS NICE TO BE NICE

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 27th Apr 2006, 10:34am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
There were, indeed, two steamers which sailed under the name "Jeannie Deans". The first was built by Barclay Curle in 1884 and was broken up in 1920.

The second Jeannie Deans was built by Fairfield's in Govan in 1931 (see Dugald's reply) and was broken up in 1968. This paddle steamer served as a minesweeper in the Second World War and was extensively damaged in action.

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 26th Mar 2007, 11:28pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Used to go to Millport at the Glasgow Fair, down to Largs and accross on either The Waverley or The Old Keppel, then they brought in the car ferries at the other side of the island .We got bikes hired at the start of the holiday and Mum and Dad hardly saw us except for mealtimes , we never came to any harm.I wonder if you could let yer bairns have as much free reign nowadays, I don't think so.Has anyone been to Millport recently?Do you mind the painted rocks?The crocodile and the Indian's face?
There was a chippy behind one of the cafes and it sold the best chips ever , the queue was always up the close and out the door, it was a complete fire and health hazzard ,
what the hell ,it was magic.Came back the next year and they had shut it down, there was loads of Glasgow punters looking for it too.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
maureenl
post 22nd Jul 2007, 10:37am
Post #27

Special Visitor
Member No.: 4,873
One year we went to Rothesay and the next we went to Dunoon and that went on for years. Now my parents are staying in Rothesay and we visit at least 3 times a year. I can remember going on the Waverly and the Caladonia paddle steamers. Then the saturn, Juno and Jupiter and now its MVBute

+Quote Post
maureenl
post 22nd Jul 2007, 10:38am
Post #28

Special Visitor
Member No.: 4,873
Zavaronis is still in Rothesay There is a chippie and they have an ice cream shop run by her aunt Margaret

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 3rd Aug 2007, 08:37pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
My Wife s Granny had a house in Port Bannatyne Near The Hotel/pub owned by the Marshalls. I used to ride in the cycle races on the Sept. Week End. Still took trips down anytime we went back to Glasgow. Still love the place. We used to stay in a B&B owned by a couple who had moved back from California and bought the place. It was very nice and Clean.

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 3rd Aug 2007, 08:48pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
PS Maggie Cameron was her Grannie`s Name . George Marshall was our Friend ,He went to Van., B.C. Then went back home again. We since lost touch.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.