Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mavis Valley, Cadder Pit Disaster, August 1913
*derek hutchison*
post 18th Sep 2009, 05:29am
Post #46

hi i am 24 and my grandad lived in the vailly he was cairns hutchison and his brother was willam otherwise known as big hutchie his sister was margret and the other bessy does anyone know of them oh and his dad loved motorbikes and my granda was into ferreting and poatching in low moss wood and in dices pond for duck eggs ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*walter hutchison*
post 4th Oct 2009, 04:21pm
Post #47

QUOTE (derek hutchison @ 18th Sep 2009, 06:34am) *
hi i am 24 and my grandad lived in the vailly he was cairns hutchison and his brother was willam otherwise known as big hutchie his sister was margret and the other bessy does anyone know of them oh and his dad loved motorbikes and my granda was into ferreting and poatching in low moss wood and in dices pond for duck eggs ?

hi derek i to had relations that lived in the valley maybe we are related my granny was born jeannie neilson her first husband was a william b hutchison who died in 1915 who had sons called william,david,walter,robert,effingham(eddy) daughters magaret and jean thenshe remarried a charles junor and they had a son called james junor maybe your g/granddad is william as im sure he had sons called william and cairns if it makes sense please contact me on hutchison31282@btinternet.com

+Quote Post
hutchison3128
post 13th Oct 2009, 01:19pm
Post #48

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,564
QUOTE (derek hutchison @ 18th Sep 2009, 07:34am) *

hi derek my father lived in the mavis valley if your great granddad was a william hutchison we could be related as my father had a brother called william if that william was born approx 1900 and his mother was a jeannie hutchison later to become jeannie junnor if it rings any bells please contact me through this website cheers walter hutchison

+Quote Post
*David Simpson*
post 15th Oct 2009, 04:44pm
Post #49

QUOTE (hutchison3128 @ 13th Oct 2009, 02:17pm) *
hi derek my father lived in the mavis valley if your great granddad was a william hutchison we could be related as my father had a brother called william if that william was born approx 1900 and his mother was a jeannie hutchison later to become jeannie junnor if it rings any bells please contact me through this website cheers walter hutchison

Did any of the "Hutchisons' " live in Sunnylaw St. Posilpark at one time, as I often heard my Grandfaither speak of a "Hutchie" who was a neighbor and worked in the pits with him.

+Quote Post
*Maureen Moonie*
post 22nd Nov 2009, 12:23am
Post #50

QUOTE (derek hutchison @ 18th Sep 2009, 05:27am) *

My Mum came from Mavis Valley...Lizzie (Betty) MacAloon and her twin Isa (Bella) along with many other siblings! She still talks about the place with great affection " Poor but Happy" is how she descibes it. Sure I have heard her mention "Hutchie"

+Quote Post
*HILTON COTTAGE*
post 28th Dec 2009, 09:11pm
Post #51

QUOTE (katimak @ 16th Apr 2009, 11:30am) *
Hi all, just newly registered here - I found this thread when googling Cadder Primary School. I grew up on Cadder Road, and was one of those children who thought the man living in that house had been a German war criminal. My mum was quite friendly with his wife and we used to spend a lot of time playing in their garden, and used to be invited into the house fairly regularly. I remember it was very dark and old-fashioned inside, and yes there was a lot of equipment laying around even then.

+Quote Post
*walter hutchison*
post 2nd Jan 2010, 08:03pm
Post #52

QUOTE (Maureen Moonie @ 22nd Nov 2009, 12:21am) *
My Mum came from Mavis Valley...Lizzie (Betty) MacAloon and her twin Isa (Bella) along with many other siblings! She still talks about the place with great affection " Poor but Happy" is how she descibes it. Sure I have heard her mention "Hutchie"

hi maureen could you ask your mum if she remembers a jeannie junnor she was once married to a william hutchison who died in ww1 and she remarried a charles junnor they lived in the valley all her her kids were hutchison's with the exception of the youngest who was a james junnor they all stayed in the valley until it was vacated and moved on yours walter hutchison

+Quote Post
Hutchieclan
post 28th Jan 2010, 09:12pm
Post #53

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,064
Hi, just found this site. My grandfather, David Hutchison, was born in Mavis Valley in 1912 and died in Stoneyetts Hospital in 1990. I have a family bible which has records of births, deaths and marriages. From this, I know that his mother was Jeannie Junnor, who married Charles Junnor in 1917. Family stories suggest that Charles Junnor was her second husband. She was born in Keppochhill in 1882 and died in 1943.

David Hutchison had 7 or 8 brothers, William, Robert, Joseph, Walter, Charles, Effingham and James. There appears to have been two sons named Effingham, perhaps by different husbands. There were also three sisters, Margaret, Jeannie and Jeannet (spelling as per the bible).

Among the many entries, I found records of the death of Effingham Hutchison in Mavis Valley in 1902, and Wm. Cairns Hutchison who died aged four months on 2nd April 1926. I also found that William Hutchison, my grandfathers eldest brother, married Jeannie McGill in 1919, and died in 1924. Other references include the marriage of James Weather Junnor to Margaret Cook Clark in March 1937, and Charles Hutchison to Hannah Pirrie in June 1938 . They each had 4 children, but their names are not recorded.

Hope this helps, and happy to assist further.

+Quote Post
*walter hutchison*
post 28th Jan 2010, 09:58pm
Post #54

QUOTE (Hutchieclan @ 28th Jan 2010, 09:10pm) *
Hi, just found this site. My grandfather, David Hutchison, was born in Mavis Valley in 1912 and died in Stoneyetts Hospital in 1990. I have a family bible which has records of births, deaths and marriages. From this, I know that his mother was Jeannie Junnor, who married Charles Junnor in 1917. Family stories suggest that Charles Junnor was her second husband. She was born in Keppochhill in 1882 and died in 1943.

David Hutchison had 7 or 8 brothers, William, Robert, Joseph, Walter, Charles, Effingham and James. There appears to have been two sons named Effingham, perhaps by different husbands. There were also three sisters, Margaret, Jeannie and Jeannet (spelling as per the bible).

Among the many entries, I found records of the death of Effingham Hutchison in Mavis Valley in 1902, and Wm. Cairns Hutchison who died aged four months on 2nd April 1926. I also found that William Hutchison, my grandfathers eldest brother, married Jeannie McGill in 1919, and died in 1924. Other references include the marriage of James Weather Junnor to Margaret Cook Clark in March 1937, and Charles Hutchison to Hannah Pirrie in June 1938 . They each had 4 children, but their names are not recorded.c h

Hope this helps, and happy to assist further.

hi hutchieclan it appears that we are related as my grannie was jeannie junnor aka hutchison as my father was a effingham hutchison i have all the relevent info re my side of the hutchison clan but not of ie my uncles ,aunts ,cousins etc i live in edinburgh effingham had 5 children 3 sons and 2 children of whom 2 sons are now dead ie david and robert my 2 sisters are alive elizabeth (LIZ) and anna jimmy junnor was my uncle who lived in govan if you want you can contact me either on my email address or by phone it is hutchison3128@btinternet.com or [personal phone number removed] as it would be great to learn more of the family history cheers walter neilson hutychison

+Quote Post
*walter hutchison*
post 29th Jan 2010, 02:21pm
Post #55

hi re hutchieclan your grandad david was my uncle as my father was effingham farquhar hutchison could you please phone me on [personal phone number removed] to discuss this as my history of my family is sketchy to say the least cheers walter neilson hutchison

+Quote Post
**cowan**
post 3rd Feb 2010, 10:27am
Post #56

Hi David Simpson, Jim Cowan here i remember you ok. Living in Auchinairn, there is also Alec Jean and Jan McAuley live close to me here, sorry to say there isent any of your mothers family left Molly died a few months ago, the last of the Cowans from Mavis Valley.

+Quote Post
golfer
post 3rd Feb 2010, 11:02am
Post #57

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,358
QUOTE (David Simpson @ 31st Aug 2009, 05:21pm) *
Hi there RonD and Jim Cowan, both my Grandfathers were miners at the pits you mention, in fact, Jim Cowan is my cousin. We used to see each other at Jellyhill 50 years ago !! My Mothers name was Una Cowan. and we grew up in Clydebank. Started out in the shipyard, but I've since worked in Copper, Urainium, Gold, Asbetos, Phosphate, and Diamond Mines. So I guess it really is in the blood !!! It was a very pleasant surprise to come accross Jims name here, brought back some memories. I remember my Mother taking me to Mavis Valley after they knocked the buildings down and showing me where she used to do the washing etc.
Ive been in Africa these last 39 years, now "Mining" sugar in Swaziland.

Hi David Jim Cowan here great to see your name, unfortunely there isent any of the Cowan family left who came from Mavis Valley, Molly was the last, she died a few months ago, ill leave my e/m address if its allowed, james.cowan15@ntlworld.com by for now. Jim

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 4th Feb 2010, 10:57am
Post #58

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Hutchieclan,

I see from your recent post that your grandfather was David Hutchison and have been wondering if he was a friend of my dad (Bill Thomson). The dates would be about right (born 1912, died 1990).

Wee Davie, as we always knew him, lived in the Maryhill area and worked for a time at the Maryhill Public Baths. He travelled to New Zealand in 1964 with my dad but returned to Scotland in 1965. We know that Davie got married and had a daughter named Helen, I think. It's a longshot, I know, but just maybe it is the same person.

The other querie I have is, where is Cadder situated and is it far from the Cadder housing scheme near Lambhill? My family lived in the scheme until we all emgrated between the years of 1959 and 1964.

Sad to say, I left Glasgow with very little knowledge of its surrounding districts and have found this topic on Cadder very interesting.

Cheers,

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 4th Feb 2010, 09:05pm
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi scots kiwi lass cadder is between maryhill and lambhill the cadder scheme was built there in front of the cemetry cheers i have put this on before but it might bring back memories

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 4th Feb 2010, 09:17pm
Post #60

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Thanks, Possilboy. I do remember seeing these photos of the shops in Skirsa Street and was shocked to see the state they were in. My family lived in Cadder when the shops were built and the flats above them were rented out to tenants.

I was aware of the area of Cadder on the outskirts of Glasgow but had never been there and don't even know where it is.

Cheers,

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Dec 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.