Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Salmond Vs Sturgeon, A fishy affair
Kemedian
post 2nd Sep 2018, 04:49pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
I've always admired your optimism Jagz. You may pour as much cold water on this story as you like and review it through your yellow-tinted glasses till your keyboard breaks. The trouble is, your Party isn't fending off unwanted attention from the usual sources we hear about.

The tense power struggle between the progressive and moderate camps of the SNP has been rudely exposed for all to see since Salmond took exception so very publically to the preliminary outcomes of the Permanent Secretary's investigation. The Political decline of the man was effectively complete, he had dropped out of Westminster and last I heard he is working for Russian television. But these recent allegations of misconduct while in office threaten to sully his highly successful career and internationaly renowned reputation. So, given that he has responded with all guns blazing and has chosen to exert the significant pressure of his own devotees from within the independence movement upon his reluctant yet duty bound discipliners heading the Party, you shouldn't really be overawed by the consequent general level of amazement expressed among his friends and foes alike.

We live in interesting times!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 2nd Sep 2018, 05:18pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 2nd Sep 2018, 02:24pm) *
There truly is an element of blind loyalty and of a bunker mentality exuding from this donorship. The whole world as they see it seems to be conspiring against their 'embattled' leader, from Westminster to Holyrood to the media to unionists and unfortunately to the genuine alleged victims.

I partly agree with you Jagz. This is indeed a lot of fuss, although you seem strangely certain that it's about nothing. In which case it will be the SNP, not Salmond, with many questions to answer.

Sorry? Who is the “embattled” leader and what is a “ genuine alleged victim”? huh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 2nd Sep 2018, 06:17pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 2nd Sep 2018, 05:49pm) *
The tense power struggle between the progressive and moderate camps of the SNP has been rudely exposed for all to see

We live in interesting times!

I know i'd be better talking to a brick wall but here goes nothing.

Kem, there is no power struggles, splits, Civil war or any other nonsensical terms about the SNP (although the same can't be said of the London based parties of all hues) so will you please take your own advice and wait and see.

It really is nice to have you back on GG again but surely the state of the Union and your British parties should be taking up your time?

With just over two hundred days till Brexit there is lot's to discuss, as you say, "We live in interesting times".

Now if you'll excuse me i have to go up to the loft to get my Fife and Drum as my papers arrived earlier informing me that my Garnock Valley regiment are shipping out at dawn to confront General Sturgeons troops who are encamped at the River Cart.

Does anyone have a spare musket as i can't find mine anywhere? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 2nd Sep 2018, 06:46pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (ashfield @ 2nd Sep 2018, 07:18pm) *
Sorry? Who is the “embattled” leader and what is a “ genuine alleged victim”? huh.gif

Typo. He meant "alleged genuine victims".

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 2nd Sep 2018, 08:31pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 2nd Sep 2018, 06:18pm) *

The first reference, well that's Salmond of course, whose donors still fancy that their deposed leader has a Political career ahead of him (should the vacancy arise).

The second, are the two most important people of all, who must feel belittled and greatly anguished by the backlash from the afforementioned accused (note his "patently ridiculous" comment) and his fanatics, some of whom have picked up his baton and sustained the criticism of the two alleged victims. As Sturgeon says, the complaints must be robustly handled regardless of the standing or clout of the person implicated.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 2nd Sep 2018, 09:13pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
rolleyes.gif So you lied when you said "Let's wait for the outcome of the court proceedings, the police investigation and latterly the Party's due process"?

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 3rd Sep 2018, 12:13am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Just passing the time, Jagz. smile.gif

One big question I have, which has nothing to do with the case specifically but concerns the immediate fallout for the SNP, which is what we're really discussing, is this:

When we have those loyal to Sturgeon coming out to support the investigative process saying that the Party is united, and when we have those loyal to Salmond saying the same thing, what are those with no allegiance (like myself) supposed to think and who do we believe?

My take on this glaring irregularity in these responses is that the leadership is saying one thing (at least publically when questioned) and the activists are saying another. This scandal has hit the central nervous system of the Party and there is no common narrative to be found. This is unchartered territory for everyone, so why should anyone expect the normally careful and orchestrated Party line in this instance? Would it have been at all like Salmond to keep his mouth shut and dignity intact?

Still the Party tries to cover up the mess, by all saying they're "united". But there can be more than one, there's Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Dundee, Sheffield...

From the outside it's an experience somewhat analagous to gazing at an imploding star, you know there's a lot more going on that isn't observable yet still you can't quite process the enormity unfolding behind the lens.

Back on Planet Earth however, there are two women who now need to be shielded from the glare that Salmond's retalliations have attracted. They should be reassured and supported through what would otherwise have been a difficult enough time for them.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 3rd Sep 2018, 09:13am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Oh dear, DJ has grasped all the straws and left you with nothing clutch on to Kem.

Why do you not want to talk about the imploding Tory party as the Brexit mess rumbles along, and what about all the forty plus women that need to be shielded from all the Tory and British MP's?

Surely they should be reassured and supported through what would otherwise have been a difficult enough time for them?

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 3rd Sep 2018, 09:18am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Forget Angry Salmond's pink beret, this eclipses anything he has ever uttered, because this devastating revelation is aimed straight at him and that divisive crowdfund. There can be no denying the feud that has arisen between them now. For Nicola to come out with such a statement speaks volumes of her dislike for the course of action her old mentor has taken since the Party went public with the investigation. If Salmond's veiled threat of leading a rebellion sounds remarkable, if he succeeds in court what will Nicola do and where will she go!

Attached Image

QUOTE (She really said this)
I would not wish to be a citizen, let alone First Minister, in a country which placed any barriers in the way of women speaking out.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 3rd Sep 2018, 09:28am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Who's stopping women speaking out?

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 3rd Sep 2018, 09:28am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Just in case you don't believe me Jagz...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scot...litics-45370101

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 3rd Sep 2018, 09:52am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 3rd Sep 2018, 10:28am) *
Just in case you don't believe me Jagz...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scot...litics-45370101

Read it twice and can't see anything about women being stopped from speaking out, could you highlight it for me?

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 3rd Sep 2018, 10:11am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Attached Image

Should've gone to specsavers.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 3rd Sep 2018, 10:16am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
So no one is actually stopping women from speaking out then? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 3rd Sep 2018, 12:39pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
It's Nicola you need to tell that to.

She said it, not me.

Why she did, is a matter for conjecture. To shut down your senses and ignore the current context of her remark, could however lead someone like your good self to fail to see the clear meaning behind her words.

You are backing Salmond, and I don't expect you to understand Nicola's point of view.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Jul 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.