Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1448 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
Dylan
post 15th Jan 2013, 03:19pm
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Why thank you Serabash.

I know you do smile.gif

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 15th Jan 2013, 05:41pm
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Attached Image

Just in case your mulling things over

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 15th Jan 2013, 07:04pm
Post #63

Mega City Key Holder
Fair unbiased information .?

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 15th Jan 2013, 07:30pm
Post #64

Mega City Key Holder
Yup.
The truth can be fairly powerful, however.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 17th Jan 2013, 10:25am
Post #65

Mega City Key Holder
Alex Salmond is to meet the head of Quebec's separatist party, who is planning a third referendum since 1980.

Critics fear that Quebec Premier Pauline Marios wants a " Neverendum ", a continuing series of referendums.

Critics of Salmond fear he may copy that tactic if they lose the vote next year.

I assume this would depend if the SNP having lost the vote would be re-elected as the Scottish Govt. ?

We would then have these " Debates " infinitum. !

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 17th Jan 2013, 12:47pm
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
The premiere of Quebec is visiting Scotland as part of a European tour, should Salmond not meet her just because she is also the leader of Parti Quebecois ?

BTW the Daily Record spelled her name wrong, it's Marois not Marios, methinks they're playing their Nintendos too much.

How many referendums on an issue should be allowed?
I and i'm sure many others would like a say on the EU, i was too young to vote on the only one we had. It would be wrong to consign something to the bin just because 1 generation didn't like it, if a party stands on a referendum issue and wins then they have a mandate to hold one, if thats every 5 years then so be it.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
*Judah*
post 20th Jan 2013, 08:50am
Post #67

QUOTE (john.mcn @ 17th Jan 2013, 01:04pm) *
The premiere of Quebec is visiting Scotland as part of a European tour, should Salmond not meet her just because she is also the leader of Parti Quebecois ? ....

The patri Qubecois is a racist as well as separatist party. After the failure of their last referendum, they blamed the First Nation tribes of western Canada for their failure to separate from that great country. Had they achieved their goal only French would have remained as the only language taught in schools. The rights of indigenous Canadians would have ceased to exist as they are not considered French or Francophone. As Scotland existed as a country for 700 years before the advent of union, the situation between the two countries has little parallel. For a Scottish politician to seek the advice from such a small minded racist entity does their cause no credit.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2013, 01:22pm
Post #68

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
I thought i'd post this on your thread wee davy as another positive for the YES campaign.

As a former advisor to Madeleine Albright and expert on International law Professor David Scheffer say's an independent Scotland and England would be joint successor states to the EU.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/ref...n=email%2Balert

Perhaps some of the Tory led No campaigners who have been claiming Scotland would be kicked out of the EU would like to respond?

+Quote Post
lindamcf
post 20th Jan 2013, 02:49pm
Post #69

Resident
Member No.: 9,006
Hello All,
Ive voted SNP all my life for one reason.
I couldn't stand Labours arrogant assumption that the Scottish people would always vote for them and that they could do no wrong on our eyes and therefore they could do what they liked.
I cant see one good valid reason for staying in the Union, but on the other hand i cant see one good valid reason for leaving either.
If we wanted to be truly independent WHY would we want to stay in the EU.
As an oil and whiskey(amongst other things) producing country you would think that we would be able to negotiate trade with other countries without the money guzzler that the EU has become.
I see it as just changing one master for another.
I will vote when the time comes, but just now i still don't know where my X will go,
Linda

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 20th Jan 2013, 04:33pm
Post #70

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
QUOTE (lindamcf @ 20th Jan 2013, 04:06pm) *
As an oil and whiskey(amongst other things) producing country

Since when, Linda? ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 20th Jan 2013, 04:47pm
Post #71

Mega City Key Holder
Hello lindamcf

The EU is a bit of a sideshow.
Although a significant one, but think on.
Fact
The UK, England, or any other member will NOT be leaving the EU, after your independence vote.
Your years of support for the SNP, I'm sure wasn't just dependant upon a Scotland, 'on its own', but a Scotland free of the Westminster monopoly of important decisions with regards Scottish interests.
Westminster/London PRIORITIES, lie South of the Watford Gap.
Living in the North of East England, I can assure you of that.

Regards,
wee davy

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2013, 04:53pm
Post #72

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (lindamcf @ 20th Jan 2013, 03:06pm) *
Hello All,
Ive voted SNP all my life for one reason.
I couldn't stand Labours arrogant assumption that the Scottish people would always vote for them and that they could do no wrong on our eyes and therefore they could do what they liked.
I cant see one good valid reason for staying in the Union, but on the other hand i cant see one good valid reason for leaving either.
If we wanted to be truly independent WHY would we want to stay in the EU.
As an oil and whiskey(amongst other things) producing country you would think that we would be able to negotiate trade with other countries without the money guzzler that the EU has become.
I see it as just changing one master for another.
I will vote when the time comes, but just now i still don't know where my X will go,
Linda

Hi Linda, i would have thought that someone who has voted SNP all their life would have had at least one good reason for voting YES, however if you look through the other independence threads on GG you will find many good reasons for the people of Scotland to vote YES next year.

As for the EU issue, i am no great fan of the EU either, but the question of EU membership is always raised by the unionists as a way of trying to scare undecided voters that somehow an independent Scotland would become a pariah on the World stage, a lot of issues regarding independence don't need to be discussed before the referendum but are thrown out by the NO brigade just to muddy the waters and confuse the independence issue.

As you have already said of our oil and whisky among the many other home produced industries, will ensure the World beats a path to our door to purchase our second to none produce, so we would survive even without the EU, and being accountable to the people of Scotland any Scottish government would have to listen to the people if we decided to have a referendum on staying or leaving the EU or if we want a referendum on the monarchy or any other issue that can be decided after we are an independent nation again.

And i don't think many of the No campaigners would agree with you as you see us as swapping one master for another, as they will remind you we are equal partners in an equal union.

Aren't we?

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2013, 04:58pm
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 20th Jan 2013, 04:50pm) *
Since when, Linda? ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif

I didn't want to point that out tongue.gif

+Quote Post
lindamcf
post 20th Jan 2013, 05:19pm
Post #74

Resident
Hi wee Davy,
I know and agree with what your saying but it still gets oan ma goat that the SNP are still willing to hand our independence to Brussels

Hi Mathieson biggrin.gif to you too tongue.gif

Hi Jagz,
do you honestly think that if the people want a referendum on the EU that whoever is in control at Holyrood will let us have one. We've been shafted (politest word i could think of) for years by the self serving political classes, independence wont change that fact

+Quote Post
lindamcf
post 20th Jan 2013, 05:20pm
Post #75

Resident
sorry mathison the wee faces should be the other way round

+Quote Post

1448 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.