Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scotstoun And Yoker, Memories of the area
Rating 5 V
axil
post 26th Sep 2011, 10:22pm
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,309
Here's a wee poem I wrote about Yoker, I was born in Langholm Street but left there when I was 6 and moved to Peterson Park. Do any of you remember the fish shop at the bottom of Kelso St? And the Anchorage is still there.

A YOKER CONTRAST.

Part One.

With wellies and white apron on, the woman leaves the shop
To soap up all her windows wide, to watch, I had to stop.
Throwing pails of water up, to wash away the foam,
It cascades down so delicately, it’s like a little stream.

White marbled counter, feathered black, is polished, shining bright.
The floor tiles always left ‘til last, when they lock up at night.
Large wooden tables being scrubbed, vigorously by hand,
The double handed brush they use, does as it's command.

Their knuckles white with faces red from rocking to and fro
They must work hard to get it done, before it’s time to go.
The heavy bristles on the brush are tearing up the grain
But they clean away the debris to leave it right as rain.

It’s strange that when we talk of fish, we conjure up a smell
But in this shop, no bouquet here because there’s nothing stale.
The workers now are going home and some may go out dancing,
The Locarno ballroom up the town, is where they’ll find romancing!

The Other Part.

The gentlemen, all local men, they stand outside their pub.
The Anchorage will soon be packed and they will have their fill.
The vendor sells them The Pink Times, to check up on their club
They go inside to air their views, with pint and quarter gill.

A Saturday night, a busy time, a time for fights and singing,
A skirmish starts and that is stopped until he starts again.
The punches fly, the boots go in but still the tills are ringing
He crawls outside, a bloody face, the measure of his pain.

The drunken crowds pour out the pub, it must be half past ten
And gather on the corner, to say goodbye to friends.
They stagger home and cling to rails and sometimes fall in closes
But home they’ll get, it may take hours, not smelling much like roses.

They’ll go to mass, or even church, if awakened Sunday morning.
Their thumping heads and bloodshot eyes, they’re on a faithless mission .
These hypocrites, they must attend but inwardly they’re groaning.
Shaking still, a priestly fear, goads them into submission.

With service over and handshakes done, they need hair of the dog.
The only place where comfort’s found, is there behind the bar.
A lonely place inside his head, deep breathing now with mouth agog,
His brain’s still pickled, at last found heaven, drinking nectar from his jar.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
axil
post 26th Sep 2011, 10:23pm
Post #32

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,309
This is another poem written about Yoker and in particular my sister Mamie. I think everybody in Yoker knows her!!

Mamie.

A Saturday meant Whiteinch baths, I want those days, so many laughs.
Scared of water, full of fear, the reason Mamie brought me here.
I was five and she eleven, the swimming pool, to her was heaven.
Her confidence was really high and from the highest board she’d dive.

She’d jump right off and straighten out, then disappear completely.
A perfect dive, it went so fast, she’d reappear so neatly.
All I could do was watch in awe, a rubber ring around my waist,
Dangling in the pool below, I’d watch her glide with haste.

I loved to watch my sister swim, it seemed like nothing fazed her
But she was good, if not the best, at her age, in the water.
I loved those days, they’re memories now, but still I have a smile
I now can swim and owe it all, to Mamie’s special style.

Sometimes we’d miss and down the road, there was this magic place.
Where dreams came true, if for a day, inside this comfy palace.
The seats were huge, the ceilings high, ornate in red and gold
I’d wriggle round, stare at the screen, I’m five not very old.

The lights go out and darkness falls and that’s the magic sign
Then through the black, there shines a beam, a single little line
The clicking sounds and flickering light, that’s how “flicks” got its name,
The picture starts, the screen’s alive, a hush now fills the air.

Near the end, I hear a scream and turn to Mamie frightened
She tells me lies and deathly tales, so awful, I start crying.
Banshees wail, fly through the air with horses white and ghostly,
They’re scaring me, I want to go but Mamie scared me mostly.

+Quote Post
nippynell
post 27th Sep 2011, 10:51am
Post #33

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,094
QUOTE (axil @ 26th Sep 2011, 11:09pm) *
This is another poem written about Yoker and in particular my sister Mamie. I think everybody in Yoker knows her!!

Mamie.

A Saturday meant Whiteinch baths, I want those days, so many laughs.
Scared of water, full of fear, the reason Mamie brought me here.
I was five and she eleven, the swimming pool, to her was heaven.
Her confidence was really high and from the highest board she’d dive.

She’d jump right off and straighten out, then disappear completely.
A perfect dive, it went so fast, she’d reappear so neatly.
All I could do was watch in awe, a rubber ring around my waist,
Dangling in the pool below, I’d watch her glide with haste.

I loved to watch my sister swim, it seemed like nothing fazed her
But she was good, if not the best, at her age, in the water.
I loved those days, they’re memories now, but still I have a smile
I now can swim and owe it all, to Mamie’s special style.

Sometimes we’d miss and down the road, there was this magic place.
Where dreams came true, if for a day, inside this comfy palace.
The seats were huge, the ceilings high, ornate in red and gold
I’d wriggle round, stare at the screen, I’m five not very old.

The lights go out and darkness falls and that’s the magic sign
Then through the black, there shines a beam, a single little line
The clicking sounds and flickering light, that’s how “flicks” got its name,
The picture starts, the screen’s alive, a hush now fills the air.

Near the end, I hear a scream and turn to Mamie frightened
She tells me lies and deathly tales, so awful, I start crying.
Banshees wail, fly through the air with horses white and ghostly,
They’re scaring me, I want to go but Mamie scared me mostly.

Brilliant...R u talking bout " THE ODEON " What a great picture house!!!

+Quote Post
annmcc53
post 13th Dec 2011, 01:42am
Post #34

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,241
QUOTE (Tam Byrne @ 7th Apr 2011, 12:37am) *
I lived in 107 Langholm St and attended St Brendans school in the late 60's and then went to Thomas Aquinas in 69. I loved the place as there was always something going on especially with the railway right at the back and the swing park in the street. Can any one rememberr the tragic accident concerning a motor bike going on fire and a young girl by the name of Alison dying? I stiil think of that accident to this day it wasthe first time that death occured in my young life.

HI TAM i remember that she was alison currian she lived next door to the fearns 103 langholm st and her pal was margaret duncanson who was badlt burned in the accident im sure there was a boy as well

+Quote Post
nippynell
post 13th Dec 2011, 08:22pm
Post #35

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,094
QUOTE (annmcc53 @ 13th Dec 2011, 01:01am) *
[quote name='Tam Byrne' date='7th Apr 2011, 12:37am' post='35300
I lived in 107 Langholm St and attended St Brendans school in the late 60's and then went to Thomas Aquinas in 69. I loved the place as there was always something going on especially with the railway right at the back and the swing park in the street. Can any one rememberr the tragic accident concerning a motor bike going on fire and a young girl by the name of Alison dying? I stiil think of that accident to this day it wasthe first time that death occured in my young life.

HI TAM i remember that she was alison currian she lived next door to the fearns 103 langholm st and her pal was margaret duncanson who was badlt burned in the accident im sure there was a boy as well

I'm positive Margaret Duncanson was in my class at st. Tams.

+Quote Post
*karen baker*
post 30th Jan 2012, 12:57am
Post #36

QUOTE (annmcc53 @ 13th Dec 2011, 12:58am) *

Hi was the little girl badly burned in this accident called Nancy Gallagher, i lived at 150 Langholm Street we left for Southampton in 1971

+Quote Post
rosiedouglas1234...
post 11th Jul 2012, 04:58pm
Post #37

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,128
QUOTE (*nancy* @ 17th Jul 2009, 11:02pm) *
i was born in the house in langholm st yoker in 1947 giving my age away what agreat place to grow up iwent to the old yoker school infants middle and secondry ilived with my granny and granda katie and robert pollock iwent back and stayed with my ma da when they moved to the drum summerhill road in 1958 or 9 weewere about the first to move in to summerhill my ma da were mary and john bennett

i knew the bennetts i lived in yoker 208 langholm st my name was douglas we had a big family stephen magaret thomas theresa rose (me) mary elizabeth william sandra and kathleen i loved yoker been back a few times if you dont know me you may know theresa she hung around with a pudgy bennett if your the same family im on facebook under rosie douglas if you want to have a look go ahead nice chatting to you bye x

+Quote Post
kenb
post 11th Jul 2012, 08:02pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
does any onr remember my dads family or ndeed my dad BOOTH tam booth i would love to get in touch with them again lost touch by the working away excuse or living in geordie land.they came to the drun from whiteinch and scotstoun i used to cycle to my granny booths on a sunday from the drum i also ran for the school four times at scotstoun show grounds we done realy well we had white lightning on our side jacky beagan memories

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
rosiedouglas1234...
post 12th Jul 2012, 01:13pm
Post #39

Unpacking
QUOTE (*margaret* @ 18th Mar 2010, 01:51pm) *
i lived in yoker in the 60s we lived at 176 langholm st our name is devlin and we lived rite across from the park we had great neighbours one big family and i have a lot of good memories with them the lows, buchans, jimmy mcdonold the booky nxt door
as kids we were never bored we moved away in the 70s when ma da died went to live in cumbernauld we visited yoker regularly but then life has a habit of changing and everybody moves on
recently i went to visit a really nice neighbour she is still the same as i remember her but wat a change in the street the back courts and the old railway all been modernised we used to play over in the railway the old burn and the middens full of rats its a diffrent place now and most of the people are gone but memories for me are always with me

+Quote Post
rosiedouglas1234...
post 12th Jul 2012, 01:24pm
Post #40

Unpacking
i stayed in yoker aswell in 1962 i was 8 origanally from govan 8 burndyke st moved in to 208 lanholm st and loved it we had a girl stayed in the st called alison curren she was killed in a motor bike accident it went up in flames in the street she got killed cant remember who it belonged to but it was some fella across the rd fae us shame she was ma wee pal i always remember that i also remember the big manky rats when we where oot the back climbing the middens my namw was douglas then i came from a large family we had stephen, magaret, tommy,theresa,rose thats me mary belle wally sandie johnny and kathleen my mum was flora douglas got called flo ma da got called stevie he worked in the yarrows ship yards anyone know of us get in touch i am on facebook aswell as rosie douglas just msg me i will reply i promise remember a pudgy bennett and mo wilson and the gourleys stayed above us top flat anyway have to go to wrk now so keep in touch if you want to bye

+Quote Post
rosiedouglas1234...
post 13th Jul 2012, 01:34pm
Post #41

Unpacking
QUOTE (annmcc53 @ 13th Dec 2011, 02:57am) *
[quote name='Tam Byrne' date='7th Apr 2011, 12:37am' post='35300

hi tam im rosie douglas from 208 langholm street alison currian was my friend i remember some of what happend back then the guy who owend the bike got hurt or killed im not certain would love to know for sure but i miss alison and often think of that day the gourleys stayed up the stair from us my mother was flora douglas my da was stevie he worked in yarrows if you ever want to chat about yoker im on facebook under rosie douglas as i am trying to trace an old friend from way back called anne turkington we hung about together and another girl called catherine murray and her sister rosemary murray married a fella called allan she was my older sister theresa,s pal. i also remember wee maureen wilson known as wee mo i went to see her just for a visit down memory lane it was very nice to be back anyway if you know me and want to get in touch then i leave it in your hands bye everyone t/c

anybody fae yoker may contact me if they wish would be great to hear from old friends xx im married and most people dont find who they are looking for under their married name so put maiden name if possible bye

+Quote Post
rosiedouglas1234...
post 13th Jul 2012, 01:46pm
Post #42

Unpacking
QUOTE (linda barr @ 27th Aug 2010, 05:55pm) *
I lived in 7 Langholm Street in the early 60's till about 1967. I remember my mum hated it, she thought it was too rough. I remember the freedom, we used to get the bus to school by ourselves, we were only 6! We used to go out to play and not come home for hours, and my mum had no idea where we were. I have my old school photo, some of the children look very poor, tatty shoes and shabby clothes but I can't remember ever noticing it. In the photo I remember Ian, Joe, Nancy and Helen. I went back to find it a few years back and had a bit of trouble because of the name change but when I did get there the whole of the street had been knocked down apart from the bit at the top I'd lived in so I was able to take some photographs. We left to move to Dunblane, what a difference. The children at my new school used to comment on my broad glasgow accent. I often wonder if my life would have been any different if I'd stayed in Langholm street. I only have happy memories of the place.

hi linda from yoker names rosie douglas lived in 208 langholm street loved it back then the house we stayed in is still there just revamped a bit still a close probely have nae rats running aroon the midden like we did loved the wee park and that see saw i fell aff it banged my heed lol but i remember the lovely cafe where we all went with oor pals for ice cream showing aff anyway linda im on facebook if you ever want to chat under rosie douglas as no one knows me by my married name takecare bye

+Quote Post
rosiedouglas1234...
post 13th Jul 2012, 01:53pm
Post #43

Unpacking
QUOTE (Elma @ 20th Jun 2011, 02:50am) *
Right on, Rab smile.gif Although I lived in Scotstoun it was always the RENFREW Ferry biggrin.gif

yip we always refferred to it as the renfrew ferry strange isnt it wee rosie douglas bye

+Quote Post
donnadoo
post 22nd Jul 2012, 05:13pm
Post #44

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,132
I lived at number 20 Langholm Street from 1960 to 1974 went to yoker primary and then victoria drive lived across the road from the Bennets and next close to the Higgins other neighbours i remember were the clarks who s young brother died in a hit and run when he was 5 my family name was Reid

+Quote Post
donnadoo
post 22nd Jul 2012, 05:19pm
Post #45

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,132
hi i lived at number 20 langholm street from 1957 to 1974 family name Reid

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.