Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bellevue, Childrens Home
Rating 5 V
matt.63
post 9th Feb 2007, 02:01pm
Post #1

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,502
My mother passed away when i was aged 4 and my father left with 7 of us decided to {the term used then was put us into a home} this home was Bellevue convent in Rutherglen so off we went all but my two oldest brothers. giving the times it was'nt to bad but was still quite a hard envirement I spent six years of my childhood there. i have tried to find any information about Bellevue but all I know is that a school has been built where it used to be. Years ago while passing through a transit camp.in England on my way overseas i met someone who had been in the home at the same time as me and this is the only person I have ever met from Bellevue. i'm hoping that through these boards someone else might turn up so anyone got any information about Bellevue

--------------------
A man's a man for a that
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*mah363*
post 23rd Dec 2007, 07:13pm
Post #2

My mother and her two sisters were also at Bellvue in Rutherglen from approx 1936 to 1947 where she then went to Lightburn hospital as a trainee nurse. She spoke of the "home" often and did have fond and not so fond memories of it. She kept in touch with one of the nuns "stir teresa" I don't know if you were in the home at that time if so if you post you can let me know through the forum and I will post their names etc.

+Quote Post
*tina clark*
post 9th Feb 2008, 03:39pm
Post #3

hi just out of interest how would i find out if someone had been in a childrens home . i ask because after 2 years trying to find info on my late father and his family i still cant find anybody with any info from 1934 when my dad was born until he met my mum in 1964ish i know he was in the army for a while beforehand but nothing about his childhood and he would never talk about this time so someone said maybe he was in care of some sort thanks tina

+Quote Post
**Danny**
post 30th Dec 2009, 03:30pm
Post #4

QUOTE (mah363 @ 23rd Dec 2007, 07:11pm) *
My mother and her two sisters were also at Bellvue in Rutherglen from approx 1936 to 1947 where she then went to Lightburn hospital as a trainee nurse. She spoke of the "home" often and did have fond and not so fond memories of it. She kept in touch with one of the nuns "stir teresa" I don't know if you were in the home at that time if so if you post you can let me know through the forum and I will post their names etc.

+Quote Post
Pollock
post 30th Dec 2009, 08:13pm
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,910
QUOTE (mah363 @ 23rd Dec 2007, 07:11pm) *

My mum was in Bellevue between the same dates as your rels, she also knew sister Theresa. What was your rels names? My mum is really interested
Danny

+Quote Post
*Matt Burns*
post 31st Dec 2009, 02:29pm
Post #6

HI, and my brothers john patrick and james and sister alice were in bellevue from app.1944/52 my sister alice passed away while in the convent .our family name was/is Burns like yoursevles have good bad memories hope to hear from you

+Quote Post
*mc devitt*
post 26th Sep 2010, 02:07pm
Post #7

In reply to Matthew Burns. I remember your family Alice was my friend, along with Mary Munroe, Do you remember any of my brothers? Charles, John, Desmond and Owen Mc Devitt.

Regards Mari Lacon (nee McDevitt).

+Quote Post
*Pat Mcnulty*
post 25th Dec 2011, 08:25pm
Post #8

QUOTE (Matt Burns @ 31st Dec 2009, 01:48pm) *
HI, and my brothers john patrick and james and sister alice were in bellevue from app.1944/52 my sister alice passed away while in the convent .our family name was/is Burns like yoursevles have good bad memories hope to hear from you

+Quote Post
jinkee
post 2nd Mar 2012, 08:43pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,269
hi i was also in bellvue from around 1947/48 to 51 and it was pure cruelety from the day i went in to the day my young brother and i were taken out,, my main bone of contention was sister Angela, she was nothing more than a vicious thug, that beat the s=== out of us from day 1,, and her usual punishment was to make us walk around the yard with our handa behind our necks like prisoners of war,, well try it for hours on end and let me know,, i hate that woman even to this day with every fibre in my body,, so please do not anyone tell me of the good times in Bellvue...

+Quote Post
jinkee
post 2nd Mar 2012, 08:46pm
Post #10

Unpacking
Matt i need to reply in my case as in my young brothers case there were no good times in there,, we were beaten constantly and will leave it at that for now

+Quote Post
jinkee
post 2nd Mar 2012, 08:51pm
Post #11

Unpacking
can any one tell of a guy in bellvue called Basil Jones

+Quote Post
irene seddon
post 24th Apr 2012, 09:31am
Post #12

Settling In
Member No.: 11,516
smile.gif Hello. Three of my cousins, Mae, John, and Veronica (Vera) Cairns were sent there after their Mother died. This would be in the mid Forties. Although they came from a large family, it was weirdly thought that as their Father was widowed they would be better off in Bellevue. Iremember visiting them there as a very young child and taking them, I,ve been told by Mae (now Cleary) their first banana. Sadly, Vera has died, and John has been given the accolade of M.B.E. They left Bellevue around 1949 after their father remarried. They then went on to have siblings David, Catherine, and Francis. Cannot belive that three young children were sent to an Orphanage, by a large family!!!

+Quote Post
*lorrane*
post 19th Jan 2013, 12:20am
Post #13

Does any of any photos of Bellevue would love to see them as memory is vague was there 1959.

+Quote Post
*Jim McLau*
post 10th Feb 2013, 06:55am
Post #14

QUOTE (lorrane @ 19th Jan 2013, 12:37am) *
Does any of any photos of Bellevue would love to see them as memory is vague was there 1959.

Hi,

We believe our Mum was in Belle Vue, between about 1933, aged 10, on a daily basis, after her adoptive Mother died and then full time from about 1937, aged 14, after her adoptive Father died, leaving about the age of 17. Her name was Elizabeth (Betty) McCallum.

We have been in contact with Belle Vue to try to confirm this, as we are trying to find details of Mum's real family, however they state that the records they have for around that time, have been destroyed or damaged.

We have photo's of Mum and others in and around what we believe to be Belle Vue, however, Mum passed away in 1979, so obviously is unable to confirm the details we have. I would be happy to forward copies of these to you.

I would also like to hear from anyone else who had relatives at Belle Vue around that time or knew Sister Agnes, who I have been told, Mum was very friendly with and in fact travelled to London in the mid sixties to meet up with.

Jim

+Quote Post
*McDevitt*
post 16th Feb 2013, 12:05pm
Post #15

Hi. My background is similar to yours.
1949 my mum died, leaving my father with five young children, me being the youngest aged 3,
We were there for 5 years,
My e mail address mcdevitt46@yahoo.com
Regards
Owen mc Devitt

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.