Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hundred Acre Dyke
jimfaekp
post 9th May 2010, 08:19pm
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,501
My family have stayed in and around King's Park / Toryglen for 50/60 years.

My dear old departed Dad used to talk about the 100 acre dyke. According to him part of it used to run parallel with Ardmory Ave / Curtis Avenue. The line seemingly follows the borderline between the back gardens in Ardmory Ave and those in Curtis Avenue.

He showed me a couple of old pieces of what was said to be the dyke. It is supposed to have run from about Kerrycroy Avenue right up to adjacent to where The Hundred Acres pub is. Funnily enough, my Mum and Dad's last home was in Ardmory Ave and Dad showed me what he said were probably bits of the old dyke embedded in a banking at the edge of the back of the garden.

I found this thread after seeing what is possibly part of the dyke in the side garden of the first house on the left going up the hill on Kerrycroy Av from Curtis Av. Might be part of it. Might not. It certainly looks old enough and would have been in exactly the right position to agree with what my Dad told me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 9th May 2010, 10:05pm
Post #17

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
Jim,

I think you are right. The 100 Acres has always been in Curtis Avenue and what your Dad told you makes sense. I lived in Croftfoot and I remember that the 100 acres was the nearest place for a carry-out. Was there not a garden centre also nearby?

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
jimfaekp
post 10th May 2010, 01:30pm
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,501
Hi Ian

Yes. There was a nursery which was situated just a wee bit past the 100 acres, towards Rutherglen. My sisiter used to get some good, inexpensive plants from there. I think that it has closed it's doors to trade in the last few years.

+Quote Post
*bobnali*
post 29th Jan 2012, 10:28pm
Post #19

HI AUSSIE, this wall ran along our back garden near the Montford house pub, a neighbour showed us a piece of bolder with date carved on it 1721. 0ne day Jack House knocked our door and asked about it. He was writing a book on it.we have photos of area when it was just a field alongside Malls MYRE.Now area has football pitches on it many a day i sailed across the myre in an old wardrobe.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.