Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Raglan Street, Any Photo's of Raglan St
*Jackie McCormick*
post 4th May 2008, 03:42pm
Post #16

I remember you and your Granny I believe one of her sons was killed by American friendly fire during the War. Here is a photo of the coronation party in the back court Raglan/Lyon St.

Do you recognise anyone.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 4th May 2008, 06:26pm
Post #17

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi Jackie,

I do not recognise any in the photo it looks as if it is the Backcourt of Raglan St the building behind them Lyon St. Is the the back of St Joseph's parochlal hall which entrance was on Manreace Place (sorry for spelling) between the Chapel and the infants school which now is a nursery. Are you anything to do with the McCormacks that lived up our close 13. none of my uncles was killed during WWII but my grandfathers brothers was KIA in France July 1916

regards Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 5th May 2008, 12:45pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
hi jackie my ma and my aunties were called mc cormick or mack a need to find some papers and my granda was blinded in the first world war he was 30 years older than my granny nellie she only had one kneecap and walked all her days with a straight leg a wonder if you are related granda was john and my aunties and mammy by oldest first elisabeth,catherine,ellen.and theresa all lived in cedar place until the late 50ies but theresa never left maryhill and is still there around the corner from maryhill road .

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
*JACKIE MCCORMICK*
post 20th May 2008, 08:24pm
Post #19

none of the mccormicks mentioned were my relations mine were the coalmen from farnell street

+Quote Post
*Owen DOUGAN*
post 6th Aug 2008, 01:14pm
Post #20

Log on to google.com. go to the top and log on to images, then type in RAGLAN STREET,GLASGOW. and hay presto up will come RAGLAN STREET photos.

regards,
Owen Dougan.
6th.aug.08.
2.22pm.b.s.t.

+Quote Post
**anne**
post 28th Mar 2009, 12:21am
Post #21

I loved reading all these replies about Raglan St and Balnain St. I didn't grow up in Glasgow, but spent many happy times with my nana and grandpa in Balnain St. My grandpa was in the merchant navy, and when he came home, he used to go to the swingpark at the bottom of Balnain St and take the children there to Woolworths and buy them all sweeties. They had a wee dog called Sandy, who did the rounds to the shops round about, getting treats from the shopkeepers. I went back recently looking for Balnain St, and was sad to find it's no longer there.
I also remember my mum talking about Father Lynes. She went to St Joseph's too. Her name was Ruby Conlan. I don't know if anyone remembers her from those days.

+Quote Post
*josephine stevenso*
post 22nd Aug 2009, 10:13am
Post #22

Robert,

I remember you gan.Do you have twin sisters Isabel & Anne who lived with there aunt and uncle (Dunn) who also emigrated to Canada? I lived at 48 Raglan Street until it was demolished I was freinds with thm until they emigrate, we attend the same schools(St Joseph's).

Josephine Stevenson (nee Higgins)

+Quote Post
*alexandra duncan*
post 26th Jan 2010, 10:11pm
Post #23

My father and his family lived at 19 Raglan street in 1944,their surname was Duncan.
It would be great to hear from anyone who knew them.
My father was Alexander, his father Alexander, mother Grace and brother David.

+Quote Post
alexd8112
post 26th Jan 2010, 10:25pm
Post #24

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,057
Hello,
My father Alexander Duncan lived at 19 Raglan Street in 1944,
with his brother David, mother Grace and father Alexander,
I would love to hear from anyone who remembers them.

+Quote Post
**Joan**
post 14th May 2010, 10:19am
Post #25

Hi

I, like every other child in that neighbourhood, remember buying toffee apples from the lady at the window. I was born at 61 Raglan Street in 1948 and my maiden name was Taylor - I'm related to the White family (grandparent's) who lived in the street for many years. My mum Ina, dad John and Sister Alice Anne (Gallagher) moved to Drumchapel around 1953 but I remember 'playing at shops' in the fruit shop in NorthWoodside Road when we returned to visit aunties and buy some messages every Saturday - the nice lady in the shop let me use the scales and put things in bags when customers came in while we were there. Our family. mother's 2 sisters and dad's sister, all lived in the same close which was right next to the dairy near the North Woodside road end of Raglan Street. I also remember the horse and cart rides that cost one penny and also the rag and bone man that gave you a balloon if you took out old clothes. Vague memories of the lamp lighter who the children followed around as he lit the gas street lamps - he also used to occasionally give us a ha'penny which would in these days be condemned as dangerous. Happy memories but I certainly wouldn't want to return to the living conditions that prevailed then - I enjoy my modern luxuries. Interesting that there is a push to resurrect trams ! my dad used to driive the old Glasgow trams that are now in the museum.

Joan Williams - nee Taylor

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 18th May 2010, 07:24am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
It has proved impossible to find a decent picture of this street, so I'll add what I have. I may have posted these on other threads. They show the entrance to the street on Garscube Rd. - you can just see the street sign, middle left, and a part of the street to the left of the partially demolished building - and an overhead shot of the Round Toll area.
Hello to Hudggy, how are you doing?
Le durachd,

Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 8th Jun 2010, 10:37pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
Finally got a picture of Raglan St. Two things though - it's in Sydney and I'm in it!

Le durachd,

Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 9th Jun 2010, 07:23am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
My late,great aunt Mrs Thompson owned the fishmongers shop at number 8 Raglan Street in the 50s and 60s until the building was demolished.The shop had a big stags head up on the wall and a massive big stuffed fish in a glass case also up on the wall.Perhaps some readers will remember the shop.

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 9th Jun 2010, 03:07pm
Post #29

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Eddy I seem to remember your face from Garscube Rd I know you say you came from Oakbank Terrace.
Jupiter I remamber your aunt and her shop we used to get our fish from her I stayed at 13 Raglan St with my gran she sold candy apples from her window you may remamber.

Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 9th Jun 2010, 04:22pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Huddgy, your ringing a bell with the candy apples.Was there not a pawnshop on that side of the street.I also recall the hairdressers,Mrs Ionta.She always had wee yappy poodle dogs.In fact my mother who worked in the fishshop bought one.I remember picking it up at the old Buchanan Street train station.She had the wee dog for years.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.