Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hinshaw Street, Life in Maryhill in the 40's & 50's
BallindallochNZ
post 19th May 2005, 08:37pm
Post #1

Special Visitor
Member No.: 465
Our family lived at 43 Hinshaw Street during and after WW2. We were re-housed to Cadder around 1954 and although we still visited an auntie at No.43 for a year or two, I didn't see much of the old place before I left Scotland in 1963. We have happy memories of playing "doublers" against the tenement walls. rounders in Doncaster Street, "kick-the-can", C-C-K, visits to Ruchill Park in the summer. I went back for the first time in 1988 and could not believe my eyes, although I already knew that all the old tenements had gone years before. The only building I recognised was our old school, Springbank. I will be back in late June this year and hope to make a visit to this area.

None of my family has any photos of these old streets, though I have tracked down an old one of the school. It would be great to see some photos of this area if anyone can help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 22nd Jun 2005, 11:41am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
The Virtual Mitchell website has photos of the Blythswood, Maryhill Rd. Queen's Cross etc.
You might like to read Robert Douglas's new book 'Night Song of the Last Tram' which is set in and around your area at the same time. He's reading extracts from it at Community Central Hall on 7th July - tickets going fast at 5.

Dimairt

+Quote Post
BallindallochNZ
post 8th Aug 2005, 09:06pm
Post #3

Special Visitor
Kia Ora, Dimairt

Many thanks for your reply. I live in New Zealand and visited Scotland for a short time in late June/ early July this year. I left Glasgow again on 4 July, so could not have attended Robert Douglas's reading at the Community Centre. However, I did buy a copy of his book "Night Song of the Last Tram" at Waterstones in Sauchiehall Street, as it had already been recommended to me.

What a wonderful book - I could hardly put it down! Robert and I were very close neighbours (he lived at 14 Doncaster Street). We went to the same schools (Springbank and North Kelvinside) but he is three years older so we were not classmates. His book brought back some lovely memories of Hinshaw and Doncaster Streets - Bundoni's fish & chip shop and Cocozza's cafe to name a few. On the inside cover there is a map of the general area we grew up in. Like Robert, we had a lot of sadness in our family but also a lot of happiness. Tenement life in Glasgow must have been very hard - we had nine people living in a room and kitchen - but we surely made the most of it and enjoyed life to the full. My sister is now reading this book and I know she will love it.

To anyone thinking of buying Robert's book, I would say don't hesitate. Even if you live(d) in another part of Glasgow, you will find it relates to just about any tenement area. If you know of a contact address for Robert Douglas, I would like to pass on my congratulations to him.

Cheers,

Betty

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 9th Aug 2005, 11:43am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
You're welcome Betty. I've added another for you. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed Robert's book - the reading at CCH was packed out and he proved to be as entertaining in person as he is in print. By the way,you can write to him care of his publisher.
If you're looking for other snaps from the area let me know. I have pics of the Seamore and Blythswood, Tramcar Vaults, various schools, shops etc. but seem unable to load more than one at a time, don't know why.

Le durachd,

Dimairt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 9th Aug 2005, 02:52pm
Post #5

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
hi betty
I,TOO HAVE RECENTLY READ ROBERTS BOOK.AND IT WAS BRILL AND SAD AND VERY NOSTALGIC.LIKE YOU I WAS BROUGHT UP IN THE SAME AREA,AND CIRCUMSTANCES.SPRINGBANK LATE 50S AND THEN THE POSH SCHOOL ,EASTPARK huh.gif WE DONE THE SAME THINGS .IT WAS LIKE READING MY OWN STORY.BUT ,LIKE YOU ,WE HAD TEN IN A ROOM AND KITCHEN ,IN FIRHILL RD,ENJOYED YER POST B

+Quote Post
andypisces1
post 9th Aug 2005, 03:09pm
Post #6

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,621
Hello to all who have posted so far. I too lived on springbank st till.1959. went to dunard st and Nk. My name is andrew steele have a sister and brother Isobel and John. John went to eastpark and Isobel NK. We lived at number 61 springbank st the close before mcmillans the joiners. Love the old photos of maryhill although i dont have too many myself. In fact i had none till i got some through the board. So keep them coming they are more than welcome.....andra

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 9th Aug 2005, 04:19pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
my pals went to Eastpark school Irene McGill, Alice and Ena McCallum ,and Irene was an usherett in the Star picture house on the Maryhill Rd she thought sje wis the cats meow what a laugh biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 10th Aug 2005, 01:22pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Here's another one of Maryhill Rd.

Dimairt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 10th Aug 2005, 04:34pm
Post #9

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
Hi Dimairt keep these pictures coming they are great,when i get the chance to come home i am not able to get up to Maryhill my brother stay out in Denny so it makes it a bit difficult to get there.Iwent to Eastpark and i lived up the Gillshie

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 10th Aug 2005, 09:20pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Your wish is my ..... can anyone tell me how to add two or more snaps at a time?

Cluelessly yours
Dimairt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
BallindallochNZ
post 15th Aug 2005, 11:22pm
Post #11

Special Visitor
Many thanks for the photos, Dimairt. I have got quite a collection now of streets in Maryhill. What I would dearly love is a photo of Hinshaw Street, where we grew up. I have got two or three of Springbank School but none of the opposite side of the street (tenement at the corner of Maltbarns Street) or any of the other buildings in the street.

Sadly, I did not get time to wander around this area when I visited recently but hope to be back in 2007, when I will be able to stay longer. Looking forward to it already.

Thanks also to Aaron for your comments. We were a hardy bunch, weren't we? I am sure the way we grew up helped to build character and was a great education in how to deal with whatever life throws at us. I have often thought how amazing it is that despite the hardship we all seem able to look back on those years with such happy memories.

+Quote Post
flam
post 16th Aug 2005, 10:56am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All This is No 27 Maltbarns St, and I believe it is Hinshaw St looking towards Maryhill Rd Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
BallindallochNZ
post 17th Aug 2005, 01:01am
Post #13

Special Visitor
Thanks, Flim - I remember this block of houses well. The one in the photo is at the corner of Hinshaw and Maltbarns Street. Over to the right, there are some newer brick buildings. This is where the tenement was that I grew up in. There was a bit of spare ground between the flats in the photo and our tenement (No.43 Hinshaw Street). The school (Springbank) is still there but I believe it is a community centre of some sort. Appreciate your interest.

This post has been edited by BallindallochNZ: 17th Aug 2005, 01:18am

+Quote Post
flam
post 17th Aug 2005, 06:41am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi BallindallochNZ Is this Springbank School Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 17th Aug 2005, 07:47am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Great to see more photos appearing, keep them coming.Here's one of my old school, Oakbank Primary on the Garscube Rd. We lived opposite in Oakbank Terrace - I'd love a photo of that. Anyone?
I recommend the exhibition of Partick Camera Club's photos from 1955 at the People's Palace. We have them here at the Mitchell - see virtualmitchell - but it's great to see them on display like this.
Dimairt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.