Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

434 Pages V  « < 429 430 431 432 433 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where Am I
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Sep 2020, 01:54pm
Post #6451

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Taurus, that makes sad reading and how the rules can be made flexible for others: bit like Cummings who made the rules for every one but him.

I'm about to get an appointment for a hip-joint replacement: use-by date has expired rolleyes.gif
A friend of ours has volunteered to lock her house up and bring her dog to be with Dylan and feed Sandy, our cat, while I'm gone: Mary works full time.
Hospital visits are restricted to one, named, visitor and Mary also has her mother in a care home but they have lifted restrictions there now with only one entrance and each visitor must complete a track-and-trace form.
Dylan aint going to miss me much if our friend does come to stay but I'll bet a pound to a penny; ok - a Euro to a cent, that Dylan will gain a good two or three kilos while she's with him: he nearly rips the door down when she comes biggrin.gif

On the plus side I'll be able to take him up into the local mountain, hail, rain or snow, when I get my new hip joint thumbup.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sumac
post 10th Sep 2020, 06:50pm
Post #6452

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
I feel so sad for Dylan. He must be totally confused about why he’s being muzzled. He’ll be thinking, “Is that what I get for protecting friends?” God bless Dylan. And you, THH, I hope everything goes well for you. You don’t deserve that aggro. I have suffered, like you, from people who just don’t like dogs and use the least wee thing to make a dog owner’s life miserable. I hope the wee girls’ statements let the police see that Dylan is not a danger on the streets. 🤞

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 11th Sep 2020, 03:42pm
Post #6453

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (sumac @ 10th Sep 2020, 06:50pm) *
I feel so sad for Dylan. He must be totally confused about why he’s being muzzled ...

Taurus, if I was to stand before ajudge I could only say mea culpa your honour and take what comes.
When I'm putting the muzzle on him I have to fight back the tears as I tell him mea culpa Dylan, mea culpa. blush4.gif
I can give a couple of excuses for not seeing the lady in time and I am sorry for her that shewas hurt; she has a bruise, but it was me who had the dogs on a line and I am for that reason alone at fault.

When I got that phone call fgrom the police on Wednesday eveing asking if Dylan was inoculated, Mary when I told her said I should have asked the police officer if he could confirm that the woman was inoculated. unsure.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
taurus
post 12th Sep 2020, 12:13am
Post #6454

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
good on Mary,give it back to them,you`d think they had enough to do chasing real criminals.I am Mary too, Taurus is my Sunday name tongue.gif

+Quote Post
sumac
post 12th Sep 2020, 10:27am
Post #6455

Super City Key Holder
My son runs a lot. One day on his run, he saw a man away up the road with a German Shepherd dog, not on a lead. My son immediately stopped running and crossed over the road. Being a dog lover (he was brilliant with our 4 dogs), he thought the dog might be spooked by his running. As he walked on the other side of the road, the dog raced across and grabbed him by the leg. As he yelled in pain, the owner came over. No apology as he proceeded to whack the dog which let go. Off they went. My son didn’t report the man as he felt sorry for the dog! He needed the wound washed out and a tetanus shot.
Your case is so much different in that you had the dogs on a lead, you tried to stop them getting all het up, you apologised. You did everything you could. She has a bruise, not a wound. Please don’t beat yourself up about this, THH.

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 12th Sep 2020, 10:38am
Post #6456

City Key Holder
same thing when my son was 13 riding by on his bike,out runs an alsation ,what a bite,he got a photo of it,a trip to the doctor for a tetanus, rang the cops,not interested.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Sep 2020, 01:57pm
Post #6457

Mega City Key Holder
I was bitten once by a dog when I was about 17. Outside my father's front garden having just come back from the sweetie shop with my young nephew who was on a visit to his granddad, I saw this dog, a kind of collie lokking dog, black faced with a white snout and snarling as it raced towards us: never forget that picture burned into my mind. I didn't panic; dads had always taught us never to run from a dog, and as it got close enough and it's intentions seemed clear, I picked the we boy up and threw him over our paling fence as the dog bit into my thigh.
I poked my fimgers into his eyes with force and it let me go and ran off yelping.
When you enter Blantyre on west end ( Glasgow to Hamilton) the first hundred yards were the fronts of housing schemes on both sides then the next couple of hundred yards of Main Road, Blantyre, were big old private houses on both sides mostly occupied by doctors so I went there to find a doctor who could help me; better said might help me because I got knocked back with the first four or five as I stood outside their front doors with bloodied jeans and feeling almost sorry that I should be inconsiderate enough to disturb their privacy at the weekend.
Eventually one lady doctor informed me, rather reluctantly, that I should go round to the back door of her house (tradesmen's entrance?) where she would attend to me.
She asked me to take my trjeans down to show the wound then with a little plastic bottle which she had brought out with her she squeezed the bottle a couple of times puff-puffing some kind of powder on to the wounded area and told me that that'll do and I can go now.
I felt that I should maybe touch my forelock and bow from the shoulder saying thankyou ma'am, God bless ye ma'am for your kindness before I left. rolleyes.gif
I'm not sure if that did the trick though because the wound healed but it might have been my dad scrubbing it with carbolic soap and putting a bread and warm milk poltice on it:his answer to everything laugh.gif (he was an ARP First Aider in Glasgow during the war)
I knew that the guy who owned that dog walked along the river Calder on Sundays so the next day, complete with sheath knife on my belt. I went with my mate to the Calder with serious intent cool.gif
true to form the guy and his cur were there and it saw me and came a-running and I was ready for it ;;; but at the last moment I put my left arm on my mate's shoulder and leapt up into his arms as the dog raced past us.
I never lived that down ... So there's Dan'l Boone facin' off with this terrifyin' monster and what dis he dae? He jumps up into ma bliddy erms, the big wean ... to the gang, the guys and gals in Vicie's chip shop cafe, the crowd in the 24 hour Bowling Alley, the mates at work: he might as well have put it in The Blantyre Gazette and have done with it wub.gif
LOL

--------------------

+Quote Post
sumac
post 12th Sep 2020, 03:03pm
Post #6458

Super City Key Holder
🤣🤣

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 12th Sep 2020, 08:11pm
Post #6459

City Key Holder
yes they didn`t have a heart of gold living in their big mansions. When I was about 12 me and my pal went to the bluebell woods at Burnside with the boy up the next close,lovely boy,knew him all my life,and his pal from school. They paid the tram fares,it seemed a long way from Brigton. At the bluebell woods we soon discovered we weren`t there to look at the flowers and we fled. told a '"gent" doing his garden in a beautiful big house ,he ignored us completely,and we walked all the way home. Lesson well learnt,the rich had no time for the poor,still the same today.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 13th Sep 2020, 01:01pm
Post #6460

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 12th Sep 2020, 08:11pm) *
... Lesson well learnt,the rich had no time for the poor,still the same today.

Probably true in 99.999% of the cases ... but I have a friend who must belong to that 00.001%.
I first met him while on the manufacture of the Tornado fighter/bomber in '80/'81.
Back in the day this quiet north Londoner was terrified of ending his life in poverty and was exceptionally frugal with his earnings: he'd lived through several bad times.
I met him again in the late '90s on a contract in Switzerland when he was still afraid of being poor.
At that time he was considering his approaching 4th marriage and it took me a while to convince him that maybe it would be better if he just stayed single as marriage might not be his strength (once was enough for me and, luckily, Mary too tongue.gif )
Where I went on to make some of the most disaterous investments taking me years to recover, lick my wounds and steer clear in future, my friend studied form and made a few wee steady investments; nothing spectacular, and just made careful, small,gains ... untill he found Bit Coin.
Now he owns a modest wee house in London which he spent months renovating on his own, a house over here which used to belong to the boss of the irm where I met Mary: again spent months ripping out the uneven floors and ceilings, the odd wall, and renovated that into a lovely house for his on/off/on/0ff girlfriend here who lives there with a ¤1000 monthly housekeeping/pocket money. He bought her a car and when she adopted a10 year old dog which had spent it's entire life in a shelter with so many dogs that people only had time to feed them and nothing else, he traded her car and got her a van to accommodate the dog when taking it it: he doesn't drive much himself. All the dog's vet bills, health and dental (and there are many) he pays for.
He has a house in the Phillipines and an apartment in Tenerife ... to spread it about a bit.
He still is good friends with wife#01 and has recently given his daughter 500K.
He's stuch here at the moment; came for a week and got caught by the UK's `self-isolation' rule again so he'll wait that out for a while.
He still rolls his own ciggies.
He has no more fears and though the Bit Coin took a reduction in value he is still worth about 8Mil.
Still frugal, though generous; although we still go `Dutch' when we go out now and again for a pizza (wouldn't have it any other way) but no longer worried about being poor biggrin.gif
His on/off here is Mary's best friend for almost 40 years, a right pain in the bumski at times, but she's the one who'll lock up house to be with Dylan when I go to hospital and the 6 weeks rehab when the op is done.
Good people wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Sep 2020, 04:26pm
Post #6461

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Tomi, if life has taught me anything, it's there are no hard and fast rules for people. If you treat everyone as individuals, you won't go far wrong.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 14th Sep 2020, 08:54am
Post #6462

Super City Key Holder
I thought the BitCoin was just a scam. I didn’t realise people actually benefited from buying them, although I know nothing about them.

Well done, your friend. It is so sad, though, that he spent his life in fear of being poor. At least now he can enjoy his wealth. He sounds as if he deserves it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 26th Sep 2020, 10:05am
Post #6463

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 12th Sep 2020, 02:57pm) *
I never lived that down ... So there's Dan'l Boone facin' off with this terrifyin' monster and what dis he dae? He jumps up into ma bliddy erms, the big wean ... to the gang, the guys and gals in Vicie's chip shop cafe, the crowd in the 24 hour Bowling Alley, the mates at work: he might as well have put it in The Blantyre Gazette and have done with it wub.gif
LOL

Tomi, apropos nothing. Don't know when you last ventured through Blantyre, I pass through now and again but a recent journey took me down High Blantyre Road for the first time in ages. I spent about a month working in a wee place there during the 70s so became familiar with the West End Bar and the Hoolets Nest rolleyes.gif , both of which remain. There have been lots of changes though, especially at the top end.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
taurus
post 26th Sep 2020, 11:20am
Post #6464

City Key Holder
all I know of Blantyre is gettting lost on the way to East Kilbride. year after year on our trip home ,my SIL would give us directions,and always ended up on the wrong roundabout and in Blantyre. She said I might as well go and live there,since you insist on going there every time.We knew a very nice Australian man,who`s dad came from Blantyre,and he told us his dad had lived in Livingston`s old house,whether that was true or not,we said we believed it.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 26th Sep 2020, 11:59am
Post #6465

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Getting lost around there is easy, I lived in EK for a while so I feel your pain biggrin.gif

We were on holiday in Cyprus about 20 years ago and we got friendly with a young Cypriot barman. He used to scoot about on a clapped out moped and little did we know he was just about to inherit a multi million fortune. Anyway, he introduced us to his uncle who owned a popular local bar. When he heard we were from Scotland he asked if we knew the West End Bar in Blantyre huh.gif It appears he was invited over by a young lady from the town and they spent many nights there laugh.gif

Some people know how to live, eh tongue.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post

434 Pages V  « < 429 430 431 432 433 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Oct 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.