Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paisley Road Toll, Rutland Crescent School
BritishPower
post 5th Nov 2010, 09:02pm
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,188
Just signed up to this interesting forum and noticed mentions to Paisley Road West, Rutland Crescent and that area in general, which I knew many years ago.

A great-aunt lived in Rutland Crescent, I'm sure it was No. 24 but someone may be able to verify if this is correct if I mention their name - MacIntyre - and the fact that they lived in the same close as the Isherwoods (up the stair) who are mentioned a few times in this thread. I well recall the deaf and dumb lad (William) coming into the house often. My memory of him is that he was always warmly welcomed and all the neighbours were fond of him.

Also, my late Mother worked for many years in the Europa Cafe diagonally across the road from Rutland Crescent, on the Paisley Road. It was owned by an Italian family, Mr. Frank, Oswald and Eva. I think their names were Biagiotti and Pellegrini if memory serves.

Year later she worked as a Receptionist in an opticians on Paisley Road, same side as the Europa, but further along towards Cessnock. The Optician was Mr Miller, to begin with, then when he retired, Mr. Wober. The shop is long gone, like the Europa, and was situated approximately across from Mair Street if I remember correct.

I myself spent about five or six months working for McDonald the Butcher who had two shops on Paisley Road West. I worked in the 'wee' shop whereas the bulk of the staff and Mr McDonald were located in the 'big' shop. The big shop was in the area where Sussex Street was, and the wee shop further towards Cessnock and is still there today, but now a Hairdresser's shop[, next door to the old Cafe whose name I now forget but has been on that site for around 100 years. I was passing time whilst awaiting the next intake of apprentices at the shipyard where I was to serve my time, but I actually enjoyed it at McDonalds, he was a gentleman and took me up to the Meat Market in the Gallowgate most Wednesdays to gain experience in selecting beef, lambs, etc, for the shop. He would drive me in his big two-tone Rolls-Royce car which he kept parked on Mair Street when at the shop.

Although my parents lived in Kinning Park for a number of years (No. 53 then No. 49 Houston Street) I myself was raised in the Western Isles and what I recall of Kinning Park is a bit scanty as I was only out on short visits. I recall attending Our Lady and Saint Margaret's School in Stanley Street on a couple of occasions, but only two names come to mind from that time - John Docherty and Alex Duncan, both of whom would be in their late 60s today.

If I remember the name of that Cafe next door to my old butcher shop I will revert. Meantime if any of the above rings any bells with anyone I would be pleased to hear from you.

Angus Mac Kinnon

N.B. It was The Globe Cafe !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 20th Sep 2011, 09:19am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (BritishPower @ 5th Nov 2010, 10:48pm) *

I used to go to the Europa often as a boy, when I visited my granny, who lived at 69 Paisley Rd West. I remember the Globe too, and there was another cafe, on the other side of the Paisley road from Frank's, down towards Cessnock direction, called the Trocadero. My Dad used to take me in to Frank's for a lemonade float (ice cream floating in a glass of lemonade), or a cream soda float. Luxury in those days.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 28th Mar 2016, 11:00pm
Post #33

QUOTE (Rena Farmer @ 28th Apr 2008, 09:52pm) *
I was born in Rutland Crescent and went to Rutland Crescent school. Does anyone remember the dairy which belonged to my mother and father? We lived at number 18.

Hi Rena, I think we are related, was your cousin Helen Farmer.

+Quote Post
**LEATHAM**
post 29th Mar 2016, 06:28pm
Post #34

QUOTE (BritishPower @ 5th Nov 2010, 09:10pm) *
Just signed up to this interesting forum and noticed mentions to Paisley Road West, Rutland Crescent and that area in general, which I knew many years ago.

A great-aunt lived in Rutland Crescent, I'm sure it was No. 24 but someone may be able to verify if this is correct if I mention their name - MacIntyre - and the fact that they lived in the same close as the Isherwoods (up the stair) who are mentioned a few times in this thread. I well recall the deaf and dumb lad (William) coming into the house often. My memory of him is that he was always warmly welcomed and all the neighbours were fond of him.

Also, my late Mother worked for many years in the Europa Cafe diagonally across the road from Rutland Crescent, on the Paisley Road. It was owned by an Italian family, Mr. Frank, Oswald and Eva. I think their names were Biagiotti and Pellegrini if memory serves.

Year later she worked as a Receptionist in an opticians on Paisley Road, same side as the Europa, but further along towards Cessnock. The Optician was Mr Miller, to begin with, then when he retired, Mr. Wober. The shop is long gone, like the Europa, and was situated approximately across from Mair Street if I remember correct.

I myself spent about five or six months working for McDonald the Butcher who had two shops on Paisley Road West. I worked in the 'wee' shop whereas the bulk of the staff and Mr McDonald were located in the 'big' shop. The big shop was in the area where Sussex Street was, and the wee shop further towards Cessnock and is still there today, but now a Hairdresser's shop[, next door to the old Cafe whose name I now forget but has been on that site for around 100 years. I was passing time whilst awaiting the next intake of apprentices at the shipyard where I was to serve my time, but I actually enjoyed it at McDonalds, he was a gentleman and took me up to the Meat Market in the Gallowgate most Wednesdays to gain experience in selecting beef, lambs, etc, for the shop. He would drive me in his big two-tone Rolls-Royce car which he kept parked on Mair Street when at the shop.

Although my parents lived in Kinning Park for a number of years (No. 53 then No. 49 Houston Street) I myself was raised in the Western Isles and what I recall of Kinning Park is a bit scanty as I was only out on short visits. I recall attending Our Lady and Saint Margaret's School in Stanley Street on a couple of occasions, but only two names come to mind from that time - John Docherty and Alex Duncan, both of whom would be in their late 60s today.

If I remember the name of that Cafe next door to my old butcher shop I will revert. Meantime if any of the above rings any bells with anyone I would be pleased to hear from you.

Angus Mac Kinnon

+Quote Post
LEATHAM
post 31st Mar 2016, 10:20pm
Post #35

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,823
Think my mum lived in same close, Helen Leatham (Farmer).

+Quote Post
*Alex Marshall*
post 8th Aug 2016, 10:57am
Post #36

Does anyone remember the Popes who lived on the opposite side of the Crescent same side as the licensed grocers up the factors close, also in the close were a family called McInnes.

+Quote Post
*Anne McDonagh ne Mc*
post 17th Nov 2017, 08:17pm
Post #37

QUOTE (Jim McAulay @ 26th Aug 2008, 06:18am) *
Hi Rena,
I was also born at 18 Rutland Crescent and I remember you and your Mother & Father.
I lived above the opening of the close with neighbours Scullion & Clark (hope spelling is correct), and the McCalls lived across from you. The first time I watched TV was in your Mother & Fathers house. Good to remember the old days at the crescent.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Jan 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.