Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paisley Road Toll, Rutland Crescent School
Magi
post 5th Feb 2009, 06:21pm
Post #16

Settling In
Member No.: 236
My Cousins lived opposite the school. The McWee's.
magi
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 5th Feb 2009, 08:19pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
Hi magi "I remembeer the McWee's as well
I used to go to the Youth club with two of the Sisters
I think if I remember right it was all girls in the Family
Everybuddy knew my Aunt Mrs Kavanagh she ran lots of clubs for the St.Margarets Church #24
Would love to hear how the McWee's are doing ????????????

+Quote Post
Miggymag
post 11th Feb 2009, 08:34pm
Post #18

Settling In
Member No.: 6,531
My Gran, Maggie Lindsay [married to neil] lived in Rutland Cres, then moved just over the road to 69 Paisley Rd West. They were a big family, 4 boys and 4 girls. Johnny, Jimmy, Duncan, Neil, Margaret, Mary, and twins Rose and Cathy.

Sadly all gone now, except for my aunties Margaret and Mary. Wondering if anyone on the site remembers the Lindsays. They were, by all accounts, a formidable family.

I certainly remember being sent for a "wee message" when I was small, either to McCalls, or the Dairy, or Cochranes. Going to Woolies was the greatest treat though.

Yours aye
Maggie MacPhee

+Quote Post
*Jim McAulay*
post 22nd Jul 2009, 07:29am
Post #19

QUOTE (McCall @ 1st Feb 2009, 10:49pm) *
Hi Jim well i never i remember you and your brother well another neighbour of ours on the top

landing was the Rose family and the Isherwoods lived at the top of the Crescent, the Boags lived

on the other side of the Cres. Rena and i exchange a yearly update in our christmas card. Will be

watching this site to see if you reply Regards Evelyn

Hello Evelyn,
Have not look into site for a quile. so hope you are still looking into site.
I remember you and your mother very well, I also remeber elizabeth boag who lived in the other side of the street, and I remember richard isherwood and cant rember his brothers name.
The Clarks and their sons george and douglas who lived above you.
Good to hear from you and glad you kept in touch with rena farmer.
Here from you soon.
Jim

+Quote Post
**evelyn**
post 11th Aug 2009, 08:29pm
Post #20

QUOTE (Jim McAulay @ 22nd Jul 2009, 07:46am) *
Hello Evelyn,
I remember you and your mother very well, I also remeber elizabeth boag who lived in the other side of the street, and I remember richard isherwood and cant rember his brothers name.
Here from you soon.
Jim

Hi Jim...Richard Isherwoods brothers name is William he was deaf and dumb and one day in the playground I choked on a gob stopper he saw me and turned me upside down Im sure he saved my life that day.Unfortunatly I have heard that Richard died a few years ago.Have you kept in touch with anybody from the old days, Im really glad I still hear from Rena .My family arranged for her and her husband to come to one of my big O birthdays it was great to see her. Hope to hear fron you ..Evelyn

+Quote Post
*McCall*
post 14th Aug 2009, 12:38pm
Post #21

Hello Evelyn,
Here from you soon.
Jim

Hi Jim nice to see you have looked onto the site again.Richard Isherwoods brothers name was William he was deaf and dumb, one day I choked eating a gob stopper in the playground and William saw me and turned me upside down, Im sure he saved my life that day.I dont know what happened to Eliz Boag or any of the others we played with but I heard Richard died a few years ago. Hear from you soon Evelyn.

+Quote Post
*McCall*
post 16th Aug 2009, 09:19pm
Post #22

Hello Evelyn,
Here from you soon.
Jim

Hi Jim nice to hear from you again. Richards brother was called William, I heard Richard died some time ago.I remember Eliz. Boag we used to go to the guides together as did Rena.For some reason I dont remember the Clarks, but its great to remember the old days at the Crescent. Regards Evelyn.

+Quote Post
*Evelyn McCall*
post 18th Aug 2009, 07:25pm
Post #23

Hello Evelyn,
Here from you soon.
Jim

Hi Jim, good to hear from you, I dont remember the Clarks did we play with them? Richards brothers name was William, unfortunlatly I heard that Richard died some time ago. Its great to think back to the old days in the Crescent and nice to be in touch, Regards Evelyn

+Quote Post
*Jim McAulay*
post 27th Oct 2009, 07:51pm
Post #24

Dear Evelyn
Good to hear from you again. I was wonder about what you said about the Clarks just trying to remember if I played with them as George was a little older than me and Douglas was a little younger. My brother Adam was just over 4years older than I, sadly my brother passed away in 1998.
So this started me thinking who my chums were when I was at Rutland Crescent School. Andrew Burliegh who lived next close (No 20?) was a chum, and his brother William would be around Adams age, their father was a janitor, Neil Lindsay and Alan Eccles.
Robert Walker ages with Douglas Clark who lived the close next to the school.
In the same close where Bonar lived who owned the grounds behind our backyard, and raced pigeons.
Joe Carrigan who I think lived above Richard and William Isherwood the last close on our side. (Paisley road west)
Do you remember Mrs Kavanagh family who lived above the Farmers, her daughter taught the piano.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Jim

+Quote Post
*Rena Farmer*
post 25th Nov 2009, 12:50am
Post #25

Haven,t been on this site for a couple of years and pleasant surprise to see you Jim and Evelyn have been in touch. You both brought back fond memories of Rutland Crescent, makes me smile when I see the flats that are where the galvy was. I remember George and Douglas Clark they had 2 younger brothers John and Raymond. Above our house was Mrs Scullion, her daughter Josephine taught the piano. I see David Meldrum regularly as he has a caravan same place as us. I remember all the others you mentioned Alan Eccles, Neil Lindsay his brother Duncan, Robert Walker, Andrew and William Burleigh also Rena Hill and Anna Bone. Happy days Kick the can, arrows etc Will check site more regularly. Best wishes .

+Quote Post
**jean**
post 12th Feb 2010, 11:11pm
Post #26

Hi there I went to Rutland Crescent School and my piano teacher was Josehine Scullion! I remember the Isherwood brothers, they were at my birthday parties so long ago. I am delighted to think that someone remembers Farmers Dairy ! I used to go there as a child to get in this order - two gingerbread, two askit powders and five woodbine for my granny. I would love to chat with anyone who remembers Jeannie and Ninian Craig who lived at 22 Rutland Crescent. I lived there until my dad came home from the war and then we lived at 6 Mair Street. I went to Rutland Crescent Primary School and then Ruchazie. Please contact me if you remember these times. Jane MacLeod (nee Graham)

+Quote Post
*Jane MacLeod*
post 12th Feb 2010, 11:16pm
Post #27

QUOTE (Miggymag @ 11th Feb 2009, 08:32pm) *
My Gran, Maggie Lindsay [married to neil] lived in Rutland Cres, then moved just over the road to 69 Paisley Rd West. They were a big family, 4 boys and 4 girls. Johnny, Jimmy, Duncan, Neil, Margaret, Mary, and twins Rose and Cathy.

Sadly all gone now, except for my aunties Margaret and Mary. Wondering if anyone on the site remembers the Lindsays. They were, by all accounts, a formidable family.

I certainly remember being sent for a "wee message" when I was small, either to McCalls, or the Dairy, or Cochranes. Going to Woolies was the greatest treat though.

Yours aye
Maggie MacPhee

+Quote Post
lovisa08
post 13th Feb 2010, 08:37pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,126
I wonder if anyone remembers me or my family. My granny lived at 22 Rutland Crescent and I went to Rutland Crescent School until I was about 11. I have a photograph of William and Richard Isherwood who were at one of my birthday parties. I was taught the piano by Josephone Scullion and I remember going to Farmer's Dairy for two gingerbread, two Askit powders and five Woodbine for my granny. Maybe someone remembers my granda Ninian Craig. He was a crane driver but before that had three dairies in the area. He liked his whisky and I do believe the polis were frightened from him! My granny was Jeannie Craig, she had three daughters, Jean (Lorne Street),Chrissie (McLelland Street) and Cathie in Mair Street(my mum now in a nursing home with Alzheimers). There was also sons Andy and Ninian. I remember my pal Rena Sinclair who also lived at 22, the Lindsays and the Lowries who lived across the landing from granny. I remember Miss Mack's the wee shop across from 22 with the stout advert in the window, Frank's ice cream shop on the PRW and the wee church I used to attend in Portman Street. My sunday school teacher lived across the road from granny called if I remember rightly Ellen McGilvray.

Hope someone remembers us.

Jane MacLeod (nee Jean Graham)

+Quote Post
*Linda McLaughlin*
post 6th Apr 2010, 08:57pm
Post #29

Hi - I wonder if anyone remembers my family, the McLaughlins - we lived (I think) at no.10 Rutland Crescent. I was only 3 when we moved away (to East Kilbride), and my younger brother was only 2, but my older brother Richard must have gone to Rutland Primary. My Mum was called Helen, and my Dad was Bill.

+Quote Post
*Alex McLachlan*
post 29th May 2010, 11:53am
Post #30

QUOTE (Rena Farmer @ 28th Apr 2008, 10:47pm) *
I was born in Rutland Crescent and went to Rutland Crescent school. Does anyone remember the dairy which belonged to my mother and father? We lived at number 18.

Hi Rena i stayed at No20 top floor,myself my sister Lily and brothers Robert and Allan McLachlan.

I remember your mums shop well, she would give my mum tick on a Monday to be paid on Friday. Didy our dad not drive with Milanda bakeries. I used to hang about with Duncan Lindsay, Jim Docherty. Johnny Hodgeman, and Danny McKinnon. Lots of memories about the Crescent, mostly good. Spent most of our winter nights in Ossies (Europe Cafe) owned by Oswald and his sister Eva.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.