Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chernobyl, What do you remember?
sumac
post 15th Oct 2020, 09:34am
Post #1

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
I read THH’s post on the chemical spillage after Chernobyl and thought it would be interesting to hear people’s accounts.

It was a Tuesday morning when news broke of a fire in a Russian power plant. I had walked my daughter round to school (she was in P1) and was now going off to play badminton. I had my son in his buggy with the raincover on as it was raining. We walked back past the school getting wetter by the minute, and of course we walked back when we were done. As usual, we were out and about all day - shopping, school for lunch, back to school to return daughter, school again, walking daughter to Girls’ Brigade and getting her back - all walking in the rain.

Next morning we heard a bit more but the Russians were staying shtoom. It took a day or two for them to tell us what had really happened. The rain had poured radiation on us that day, our sheep were so contaminated on the hills and fields that we were advised not to eat lamb. My brother-in-law, who was the head of Torness nuclear power station, was worried so we knew it was bad.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Oct 2020, 11:01am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I was with a bunch of lads working in Bayern on C130s when an agent rang us and offered us a six week contract in Basel, Switzerland, at Jet Aviation; always a good company to have your name on therir records, so the seven of us packed our tools and left that afternoon heading west to the swiss/German/French border town on the German sidee and which we thought was called Wilmhelm Rhein which we couldn't find on the map. The agent was a Bayern, born and bred, and his acceent had messed up Weil am Rhen: we'd live there and cross the border every day with a work permit but no residency permit.
We stayed at the the Railway hotel (Bahnhof Hotel) which was run by to Greeek brothers who told us which was the best pub/Bar in town: if it;s designated `Bar' then there'll be a bar downstairs with a few nice girls to help you enjoy a good evening's relaxing with very expeensive drinks rolleyes.gif ...
But the pub upstairs was just the ticket; with pool table, dartboard and video Juke Box and they gave us beer-mat credit, from the off.
You eentered Typhani's from the street leevel through two big open plate glass doors to a long bar on your right with a few ttwosome tables leading to a split-level area two steps higher with the pool and darts.
We all sat along the bar suppin' our first of the day when the folks around us let out a unified Ohhh at something the newscaster said on the telly above the bar; we turned to each other and raising one hand together to cover mouths in moxk shock went Oooo to real horror from those around us.
One of us asked the guy behind the bar, Ziggy the owner, what was going on and he told us there was a danger outside in the Heitzeregen, the Hot Rain, It will burn your hairs he said ...

Cue idiots tongue.gif ...

We, Scots,English and Irish, practically step off our barstools as one and like some Loony Tunes characters, take your pick, we Vaudevulle side-stepped exit-stagee-right and danced our way out into the Hot Rain; which had followed us from Munich it seemed, singing ...

I'm singe-in the rain .. I'm singe-ing the rain ... etc

They didn't look too happy when we danced back in ...

Our introduction to the Chernobyl Disaster ...
But it might have been umbrellas after that: as you'd catch one of us wae an umbrella laugh.gif

footnote: I've never left the place since then biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
sumac
post 15th Oct 2020, 11:53am
Post #3

Super City Key Holder
Oh, THH, you cad, you! 😆 Ladies downstairs indeed.

The reason we all walked about in the Hot Rain, as you call it, was

A. we were told nothing about what had happened by any experts
B. we didn’t know the effects of radiation on people
C. who would believe what was happening

Of course, you were so much closer to it than we were.

I loved the docu-drama, Chernobyl. It told the truth behind the whole terrifying affair. Now, you can book a tour (pre-Covid, of course) to Pripyat. Who would want to do that?!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 15th Oct 2020, 12:08pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
We were on holiday in Cornwall shortly after the warnings about the "red rain" was given. The local village butcher changed the listing board of his goods for sale to things like Irradiated Lamb, Glowing Beef, Firey Pork rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
sumac
post 15th Oct 2020, 04:41pm
Post #5

Super City Key Holder
A wee joker. It’s great how we can always find humour in serious situations. Doom and gloom is depressing. Give us a good laugh instead.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Oct 2020, 05:48pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
name='sumac' date='15th Oct 2020, 11:53am' post='3746880'

... The reason we all walked about in the Hot Rain, as you call it, was

A. we were told nothing about what had happened by any experts
B. we didn’t know the effects of radiation on people
C. who would believe what was happening

We werer all aircraft techs and several ex-military so we knew enough about radiation effects, experts andcould well imagine what had happened ... we were just a bit lackadaisical as far as pushin' panic buttpns, part of the trade reeally, and we were out for a laugh.

BTW I never went downstairs ... other than the first time, just the one, to cheeck it and the ladies out tongue.gif
Hardly worth the climb back upstairs laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
taurus
post 15th Oct 2020, 08:29pm
Post #7

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
I never knew a thing about any fall out in the UK or Europe,to me it was just a story on the morning radio news,I don`t even think we had TV news back then in the mornings so I never realised the enormity of it all.never heard my family in the UK mention it at all.My husband took it more seriously than I ,for we lived not too far from a big reactor place. It`s still there with new houses built all around it,and he always said that was stupid allowing residential housing so close.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Oct 2020, 12:00pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 15th Oct 2020, 09:29pm) *
... I never realised the enormity of it all....

I was in Bomber Command. RAF, in the '60s[70s and was familiar with nuclear weapons and their fallout effects; in theory and Military educational films, so I had a good idea of what might be happening ... but let me tell you a wee TeeHeeHee story which hit me like a hammer as to how that must have been back then ...

An agent offereed mee a contract in Basel, Switzeerland, just a feew minutes car drive from my side of the border to the site.
Money's good tongue.gif
A big chimney stack is tagged for demollition and I'm going to be up inside cutting away, with gas torch, steel pipes which run like loose spaghetti up the length of it and I've got a guy taking the weight of the oxy/gas tubes and watching my back.
We'll be in the dirty area where guys are bagging asbeestos which is being removed from around thee stack's outer wall but we'll be hermatically sealed ... someone will show you ... and so it began:
you enter a plastic tunnel on the clean side and after threee or four yards you open a sealed door and step through sealing the door behind you then remove your clothing and walk through another sealed doorway into a shower stall which you dont need to use when entering so go through another sealed doorway into a corridor with rubber full-body overalls, glovees, wellies, hard-hats and duct tape to seal off gloves to sleeeeves and welliees to legs then suitably attired and complete with breathing gear, we walk past the next shower station, no need to as above, and open the last sealed door to steep into the Dirty Area ...
and I froze.

Scattered lamps hung where they could be created more dark spots than they illuminated lending the eeriest of sensations in the sparsely lit darkness where I stood ankle deep in asbestus particles and clumps and watched it fall like slow falling snow from above and all around me as I slowly turned my head in disbelieeve and ... almost wonder ... as the one thought threw itself upon me ...
CHERNOBYLThis is what it must have looked like in there: particles of anything just falling in slo-mo past your eyes and accumulating around your feet, on your hard hat and the shoulders of your hermatically sealed suits: which the first guyys on that scene were a bit short of.
That image has never left me: I can still conjure that picturee up clear as day ... bloody nightmareish.
I only managed to hold out for 10 days of going into the dirty areea for two hour stints with 20 minutee breaks beetween which are mostly used up in drinking as much wateer as your belly will hold comfortably to replace the stuff you've lost in sweating inside that rubbeer suit.
The guys I worked with who belonged to the firm doing the dirty work were, to a man, underweight and white as sheets.
When I jacked my hand and told the agent, he'd have to ring the firm and explain that his man is quitting.
The foreman, a guy I liked, came up to me and said that if I stay he'll givee me 5 an hour more than the ageent was paying me (which would have been more than 5 ann more than his guys were getting) but I thankeed him and told him that 50 an hour on top of what I was getting wouldn't enducee me to go through those portals again.
Ten days of watching guys, through a visor with the magnified sound of my own breathing, pulling filled blue plastic sacks almost in completee silence as they're dragged over thick layer of asbestus on the floor and take those sacks to the Black area where it will be transported away under stringent safety rules. Ten days of slag and sparks burning wee holes in my sealed suit; and me, and lying across a smallish ladder jammed in here somewhere and restin' against that and you keep a good hold on that ladder, pal.

Nothin' that the RAF taught me anything that would prepare mee for the shock of stepping into something that would immediately shout CHERNOBYL like that ... and that was only inside an old chimney stack with asbestos!

A thought that came a bit later and also remained was how it felt like being inside one of those little Christmas Snow Scene, the little semi-spherical, liquid filed things that you turn upside down to see the snow falling gently on the reindeer or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sumac
post 16th Oct 2020, 12:55pm
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
THH, that sounds just like Chernobyl. Horrifying.

I hope you were never exposed to all that asbestos? It’s after effects are ghastly, too.

I remember the Meryl Streep film about radiation from working in a nuclear power plant - a true story, I think? I can’t remember the title. Horrible!

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Oct 2020, 01:26pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (sumac @ 16th Oct 2020, 01:55pm) *
... I hope you were never exposed to all that asbestos?

No, we had proper breathing equipment inside of sealed rubber suits, well prtected but covered in it and losing weight dramatically.
To leave from the dirty area you go back through that plastic tunnel and after sealing the first door behind you you shower each other's suits and hard hats until all the dust particles are gone then you step into another section which blow-dries then another where you hang the suits bck up then a shower again then where you left your clothes and step out into the clean area one kilo lighter

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 16th Oct 2020, 11:54pm
Post #11

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
I think that movie was Silkwood,the woman she portrayed made a living out of lecturing about asbestos. When we came to Aus almost 60 years ago,loads of the houses were built with fibro whch was asbestos,that was in the days when "asbestos wasn`t dangerous ", meaning they didn`t know it then. We bought an ancient house,demolished the timber it was made from and rebuilt with asbestos,the kids running about helping, standing next to their daddy while he cut the fibro with fibro cutters,all in our innonence of this product. Many years later my husband built his own pottery kiln with our 12 year old son helping,all lined with fibro. Does he have a guilt trip now !! and Tee Hee i couldn`t finish your story,I`m claustrophobic,you sure earned your crust anyway.in a big way.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 17th Oct 2020, 09:41pm
Post #12

Super City Key Holder
Yes it was. I remember now. Although it was an older film, its message seems true to me today.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.