Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Evacuation, world war 2
KateMc
post 12th Jun 2014, 11:26am
Post #121

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,028
Hi DannyH

Don't know what I was thinking - I can send these pages as an Email attachment.

There are 42 pages for the main story, 16 for the sequel and two pages of notes. So it's
probably too big to send here. It would be easy to Email since I have them filed by Chapter and
can sent them like that.

I can't send this type of file on the Boards

KateMc
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 12th Jun 2014, 11:47pm
Post #122

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (KateMc @ 12th Jun 2014, 12:43pm) *
Hi DannyH

Don't know what I was thinking - I can send these pages as an Email attachment.

There are 42 pages for the main story, 16 for the sequel and two pages of notes. So it's
probably too big to send here. It would be easy to Email since I have them filed by Chapter and
can sent them like that.

I can't send this type of file on the Boards

KateMc

Hello Kate

Thank you for the personal message you have sent me, together with the above post.
Please don't be annoyed, but what is in the story you are talking about? Is it the story of your evacuation? If so just download them on to the Glasgow Guide, just as you would if it was a photo you were putting on the Glasgow Guide. It will probably mean you have to give each page a different file name, then download them a few at a time.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
KateMc
post 13th Jun 2014, 03:40am
Post #123

Unpacking
Hi Danny,

I sent you a PM saying that I have already transferred your blog into Word
and that's how many pages I ended up with. I'll be happy to E-mail them
to you if you send me your address. I did try to send it on the boards but
it wont accept that kind of document.

I've never done this before and I haven.t figures out how to set the
margins - I was really surprised to see how it looked when I posted the
first one.

KateMc

+Quote Post
KateMc
post 13th Jun 2014, 07:45pm
Post #124

Unpacking
Hi Danny,

I's your story I want to send. I thought you might like to read it. I actually printed it but thought
It would be easier by Email, if you want it.

I really enjoyed doing this ... Your story touched a lot of people.

KateMc

+Quote Post
mairead
post 4th Nov 2014, 12:57pm
Post #125

Super Resident
Member No.: 26,634
Danny. I thoroughly enjoyed your story. I was also evacuated but just to Bonawe House at Taynuilt. I don't remember much about it although I have been told that I was a menace for disappearing and on one occasion I somehow managed to lock myself in some kind of electricity shed. Fortunately for me I didn't touch anything. Now I know why my mother kept reins on me till I was a lot bigger.

--------------------
The bluebell of Scotland is hanging her head
The Lion, once Rampant, in lying like dead

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 9th Dec 2014, 11:53pm
Post #126

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (mairead @ 4th Nov 2014, 01:14pm) *
Danny. I thoroughly enjoyed your story. I was also evacuated but just to Bonawe House at Taynuilt. I don't remember much about it although I have been told that I was a menace for disappearing and on one occasion I somehow managed to lock myself in some kind of electricity shed. Fortunately for me I didn't touch anything. Now I know why my mother kept reins on me till I was a lot bigger.

Hello again mairead

I am a bit late in getting back to you, but thank you for your kind comment, and thank you for taking the time to read my story.

Like my younger brother, you would be too young to remember much about your evacuation days, but at least you do remember that life wasn't quite the same as living in a Glasgow tenement! If you hadn't been evacuated, you wouldn't have been in some kind of electricity shed, you would have been found 'raking the midden' for luckies, i.e. empty ginger bottles. They were always worth a ha'penny!

Best regards

Danny

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 18th Dec 2014, 12:08am
Post #127

Mega City Key Holder
Hello All

Just a short, but very appreciative, note to thank Martin.

Because of his website, I have been found by an old Canadian pal of mine whom I haven't seen since I left Canada 70 years ago!

A Big thank you Martin.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
Elma
post 18th Dec 2014, 05:16am
Post #128

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
That's such good news, Danny. 70 years, I wonder if you have changed, laugh.gif. This just shows that these boards really work and how exciting it can be to meet again. clap.gif
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 18th Dec 2014, 09:11am
Post #129

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
I second that, Danny.
I've just found my family that I haven't seen for 50 years.
Feels great, doesn't it.
Merry Christmas!

+Quote Post
Rab
post 22nd Dec 2014, 09:09pm
Post #130

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
Hello Danny! Although I have been a member for many years on here, until today,I am sorry to say I had not read any of your evacuation story. However, I have made up for it and just read every word and this is to say, like everyone else, I enjoyed it greatly. There is nothing wrong with your memory pal.
I noted that you sailed on the Rangitiki. My boss, when I worked for the Co-op back in the late 50s told me he was a butcher on the Rangitki throughout the war, so he possibly made your breakfast sausages! Another thing - I am sure you know the phrase, 'Once a Sapper, always a Sapper', and to read that you also were in the Corps was another co-incidence. I did my 'six' and could write a (small) book about the fun of blowing things up!.
All the best Danny and I wish your stories were longer. Thanks.
Rab. thumbup.gif

PS. I have been to Canada several times and have friends and family there. I will be back in May 2015 to hopefully surprise some long-lost cousins in B.C. The Canadians are the best! (Possibly because most are of Scots roots!)

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
Rab
post 22nd Dec 2014, 09:21pm
Post #131

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
Danny - bring back memories? wink.gif *Click to enlarge.

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 22nd Dec 2014, 10:54pm
Post #132

Mega City Key Holder
Hello Rab

Thank you very much for your kind post.

The lower photo of the Duchess of York brought back memories of the voyage to Canada.

I remember standing towards the bow end of the ship watching a few of the sailors doing gun practice, for shooting at enemy aircraft. Thankfully no aircraft ever attacked us. This was a blessing because these merchant navy sailors were frinding it difficult to get things right - even they were laughing. Sadly some of them would have been on board when the ship was eventually destroyed by enemy action later in the war.

It was a pleasant journey for me. Two to a cabin with steward attention. The trip back on the Rangatiki was different. It was converted into a troop ship. We slept in a large area deep in the bowels of the ship, i camp beds. Salt water showers.

It was interesting to hear that you knew somebody who sailed on her. He could tell you a few stories!

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.