Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wartime Sex Education, world war 2
big tommy
post 14th Oct 2005, 05:50pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
wub.gif During the War I lived in a tenement building in the Cowcaddens area of Glasgow. Three flights of stairs with three houses on each flight.

The entrance to the building was known as "the common close" - simply an entrance to the stairway, leading to the floors.

The government, in its wisdom, decided that the close entrances should be strengthened to prevent the building's collapse in the event of an explosion during an air raid.

To do this, they erected a timber frame up the walls and along the roof - but in doing so they left a space due to the criss-cross building of the beams.

As an adventure it was possible for me and my pals to crawl along along between the beams and play at being spies.

But! And such a big but! At the end of the close there was a landing with steps leading down to the rubbish bins. This was known to us as a "dunny".

It was a wonderful place for courting couples, to , let's say "doing their courting", as they were hidden away (or so they thought) from prying eyes. We, however, lay across the beams and could spy on them at our leisure. But, believe me, if any of them caught us there, we would have been in big trouble.

So we just lay there and watched. Suffice to say, it was from this vantage point that I received most of my sex education. The courting couples or "winchers", as we called them, taught me and my friends everything we know.

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
barbaramay
post 31st Oct 2011, 09:19am
Post #2

Settling In
Member No.: 11,928
QUOTE (big tommy @ 14th Oct 2005, 05:16pm) *
wub.gif During the War I lived in a tenement building in the Cowcaddens area of Glasgow. Three flights of stairs with three houses on each flight.

The entrance to the building was known as "the common close" - simply an entrance to the stairway, leading to the floors.

The government, in its wisdom, decided that the close entrances should be strengthened to prevent the building's collapse in the event of an explosion during an air raid.

To do this, they erected a timber frame up the walls and along the roof - but in doing so they left a space due to the criss-cross building of the beams.

As an adventure it was possible for me and my pals to crawl along along between the beams and play at being spies.

But! And such a big but! At the end of the close there was a landing with steps leading down to the rubbish bins. This was known to us as a "dunny".

It was a wonderful place for courting couples, to , let's say "doing their courting", as they were hidden away (or so they thought) from prying eyes. We, however, lay across the beams and could spy on them at our leisure. But, believe me, if any of them caught us there, we would have been in big trouble.

So we just lay there and watched. Suffice to say, it was from this vantage point that I received most of my sex education. The courting couples or "winchers", as we called them, taught me and my friends everything we know.

Tommy

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 31st Oct 2011, 06:48pm
Post #3

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
recall the story of the glesca polis that caught a couple daein their thing in the dunny. come on nwhits goin on therrrr he asked.....we are only necking said the lucky fella ....well get yer neck back in your troosers and get tae hell oo o' here

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.