Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rationing.
angel
post 14th Dec 2013, 09:50pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (dugald @ 14th Dec 2013, 08:39pm) *
I enjoyed your "farthing" tale Angel. I'd call it very humorous and I'll wager the teacher's colleagues in the staff-room all thought it was homorous too, when she regaled them with your innocent attempts at pronouncing this difficult for-a-seven-year-old word.

But just a wee minute, the half-hour session with it wasn't all just funny, and I'm not talking about your humiliation either. I'm talking about the behavior of this "Halfwit of a teacher". First of all, I don't think she was a "Halfwit of a teacher". I think she demonstrated her excellence as a teacher. Think of how much easier it would have been for her to simply have said: "C'mon Angel, we pronounce it as, "far-thing ", and got on with the rest of her lesson. She wouldn't have "wasted" half an hour's teaching time--- and perhaps you and the rest of the class still wouldn't know how to pronounce "farthing"! How many school lessons do you remember... yes, not many, but you remember that one. Therein lies the reason for my commendation of the teacher.

Dugald , that teacher did not spend 5.sec. with me , I was made to stand in that corner with
the dictionary until I pronounced farthing with a " th " sound , as she continued with the spelling lesson with the rest of the class , since that time , she was , in my adult opinion
in the wrong profession , would have done well as a warder in Barlinnie prison . No
I am wrong , she could never have handled adults .

What I do remember more importantly , is that , I learned there are many excellent teachers
and not all like she .
Thankfully our own teacher returned within a couple of weeks and she took us all the way to the
qualifying class and all of her students passed into senior secondary education , including myself ,

Now there's a great teacher , did'nt give a hoot about .. TH's or ding's .

Merry Christmas to you Dugald , hope you don't have to shovel a lot of snow
this weekend .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
angel
post 14th Dec 2013, 09:57pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Hi Taurus , I just read your post
It would'nt have been so bad had it been about a sixpence .
cheers . laugh.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 14th Dec 2013, 10:33pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (dugald @ 14th Dec 2013, 09:39pm) *
I enjoyed your "farthing" tale Angel. I'd call it very humorous and I'll wager the teacher's colleagues in the staff-room all thought it was homorous too, when she regaled them with your innocent attempts at pronouncing this difficult for-a-seven-year-old word.

But just a wee minute, the half-hour session with it wasn't all just funny, and I'm not talking about your humiliation either. I'm talking about the behavior of this "Halfwit of a teacher". First of all, I don't think she was a "Halfwit of a teacher". I think she demonstrated her excellence as a teacher. Think of how much easier it would have been for her to simply have said: "C'mon Angel, we pronounce it as, "far-thing ", and got on with the rest of her lesson. She wouldn't have "wasted" half an hour's teaching time--- and perhaps you and the rest of the class still wouldn't know how to pronounce "farthing"! How many school lessons do you remember... yes, not many, but you remember that one. Therein lies the reason for my commendation of the teacher.

wacko.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 14th Dec 2013, 11:45pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (Rab @ 12th Dec 2013, 10:33pm) *
I remember a Mars Bar being 3d in the late 40s as I usually bought one on the way to the 'SatMat' - needed a coupon though! Gave my wee brother half.

Sweets were rationed to between 16 oz (454 g) per month and 8 oz (227 g) per month. 12 oz (340 g) per month in 1945.

February 1953: Sweet rationing ended.
September 1953: Sugar rationing ended.
4 July 1954: Meat and all other food rationing ended in Britain.

Hello Rab

I am going to add an amendment to your claim (in post #1) that sweet rationing ended in February 1953. I am not arguing against your claim, but I want to put it into its proper perspective.

I completed my engineering apprenticeship in October 1952. Sweet rationing ended before my apprenticeship ended. I clearly remember going to the sweet-shop just up the road from Cathcart Railway station, during the lunch break, and joining the queue for sweets. We bought sweets so fast that the shop was cleared of them that day. I therefore suspect, unless you have some evidence that I am wrong, that the photo of the kids storming the shop, was taken about the same time.

The outcome was that sweets rationing was re-instated almost overnight, for the simple reason, the shops couldn't keep up with demand. I started my National Service in November 1952, but I don't recall sweets being rationed then. What I do remember is that there was no stampede the second time around. Everybody had got the message! I think we all had sickened ourselves off sweets for a long time.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 15th Dec 2013, 08:22am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Hi Danny. I found this link in support of your post.

http://blog.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/...-24-april-1949/

I must say that I have no memory of those events. I must have been content with my ration ! smile.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Dec 2013, 11:44am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (taurus @ 13th Dec 2013, 07:03am) *
Just wondering how old you are,?? I`m coming on 75 and farthings were out of existence when I came along,well when I was old anough to go to the shop,maybe 5 years old onwards,

When my brother was 17; and I a mere lad of seven (1951 tongue.gif ), he received as a tip given to him by a kind old lady during his time employed at Richmond Park Laundry, a wee cotton draw-string bag with the inscription Lavender nicely embroidered on it and containing at least 2/- ... all in farthings laugh.gif
They were still in existence during my school years ... although I don't remember actually spending any.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Dec 2013, 11:51am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (serabash @ 14th Dec 2013, 09:20pm) *
does the catholic connection not take us off topic? why do some posters bring everything down to the chapel the mass the rosary, father magubligan. do all the non catholics really need tae be bombarded with this. no other people of faith bring their church into most topics. you can call me all the bigots you like but I am sorry you folk are the ones always talking about your religion on an open board. why not consider others that think your church is not the one true church.

You do have to learn to stop this nonsense. This kind of responce, when left unchecked, finishes up by snowballing completely out of proportion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 15th Dec 2013, 12:25pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
THH - seconded.
A daft post.

+Quote Post
Samantha
post 15th Dec 2013, 12:43pm
Post #39

Super Resident
Member No.: 18,635
Absolutely Tee and Betsy. A deliberate attempt at goading, twice, which only leads the thread off topic and subsequently destroys the thread altogether. Thankfully she didn't get her desired result though.

I did report the postings to GG because goading members is in direct contravention of the rules of the board and reporting is what you are urged to do in an attempt to keep threads from being hijacked by troublemakers.

--------------------
Dum excusare credis, accusas

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Dec 2013, 01:29pm
Post #40

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 15th Dec 2013, 12:08pm) *
You do have to learn to stop this nonsense. This kind of responce, when left unchecked, finishes up by snowballing completely out of proportion.

I totally agree, THH.

Serabash, I am sure that you know that that kind of post is not consistent with the policy on these discussion boards. I do not expect to see a repeat of it.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Rab
post 15th Dec 2013, 02:09pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
QUOTE (DannyH @ 15th Dec 2013, 12:02am) *
Hello Rab

I am going to add an amendment to your claim (in post #1) that sweet rationing ended in February 1953. I am not arguing against your claim, but I want to put it into its proper perspective.

I completed my engineering apprenticeship in October 1952. Sweet rationing ended before my apprenticeship ended. I clearly remember going to the sweet-shop just up the road from Cathcart Railway station, during the lunch break, and joining the queue for sweets. We bought sweets so fast that the shop was cleared of them that day. I therefore suspect, unless you have some evidence that I am wrong, that the photo of the kids storming the shop, was taken about the same time.

The outcome was that sweets rationing was re-instated almost overnight, for the simple reason, the shops couldn't keep up with demand. I started my National Service in November 1952, but I don't recall sweets being rationed then. What I do remember is that there was no stampede the second time around. Everybody had got the message! I think we all had sickened ourselves off sweets for a long time.

Regards

Danny Harris

Thanks for correction Danny, but I didn't make it up! I simply quoted Wiki, which we all know is not perfect. No big deal. thumbup.gif

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
Rab
post 15th Dec 2013, 02:24pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
A Ministry of Food Advert from 1940 read:

THE HOUSEWIFES' PAIL.

‘Because of the pail, the scraps were saved,

Because of the scraps, the pigs were saved,

Because of the pigs, the rations were saved,

Because of the rations, the ships were saved,

Because of the ships, the island was saved,

Because of the island, the Empire was saved,

And all because of the housewife's pail'

Can anyone remember this? I do!
Attached Image

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 15th Dec 2013, 02:43pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
I don't remember this, Rab, but my Gran had a pail which she filled with scraps which was collected by the local small holding once a week to feed the pigs. Perhaps she started this habit during rationing the war.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 15th Dec 2013, 02:47pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember when my family moved to Barlanark in 1953, we had a bin just for scraps of food for the pigs.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Dec 2013, 02:52pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Our local "Broke-man" or maybe "Broak", came to empty the swill we collected in a bin outside in the garden for him to feed to his pigs ... and that was well into the '60s.
Can anyone tell me if they're familiar with the broke/broak term and where it might have originated?

Or was that just a Blantyre Expression? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.