Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Refuge In A Storm, An evacuee's story
Rating 1 V
auldbutcher
post 4th Oct 2010, 03:45pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
Jasus i wis raining reading that wee story took me back tae the time i spent wie mah wee maw an two sisters in Inveraray , or jist a mile ootside it place called Maltlands on the Duke o Argyles Estate my granda worked there and had a workers hoose on the estate this would hae been 1943 an i was the eldest at four .

My granda wis a big big guy bit rough aroon the edge's but took as in when my da went aff tae war .

Never came tae glesga till i was 7 so had a very sheltered time during the war some o the we storys aboot the fishing and and the other things struck a chord i loved the country life.

There was an army hospital there and there was also a Polish regiment stationed there, these men treated us kids as if we were there own ,the tins o the free army sweeties in the khaki boxes will stey we me fer ever ,there was two in particular who were skilled craftsmen the would go tae the auld saw mill and make us toys from bits o scrap wood ..

I got a tommygun that looked the part,sisters got a dollhouse atween them even replica furniture was made for it one morning wee woke up and oor polish pals had gone ..

Our lives there were spent free and happy, granda wid take us fer hazlenuts an make each o us a wee whistle sometimes ma wee maw wid hae a wee greet tae her sel at night think she was worried aboot my da ,used tae go ower an gie her a big cuddle an she wid sey its aw right son just got something in my eye .

She was lucky her man came hame ,wisnae till years later i thought aboot oor Polish freens wonder how many o them ever saw there wives an weans agin ,war, jasus it has a lot tae answer fer, nae wonder I sometimes explode on these threads when i hear the sabre rattlers sounding aff .
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Stephanie*
post 4th Oct 2010, 04:31pm
Post #17

Mr. Barnett,

My name is Stephanie Wright and your brother Jim is my employer...has been for over 7 years. He is my boss, but he and Nancy are both very precious and dear friends.

Jim showed me this article and asked that I read it....and it is so like hearing Jim's stories all over again. He has spoken of Sandy Butters, and you and Ian and your mother and of the people of Fearnan so many times that I feel as if I know you all personally as well.

Its a great, heartwarming and well told story of your childhood. Like Jim...when you tell these stories, you weave a beautiful tapestry of poetry. I cherish all of these stories so much, just as I am sure that you and he do....

Thank you for sharing the rich and heartwarming accounts of your childhood in the highlands!!

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 5th Oct 2010, 04:40am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
Thankyou Tommy for showing us this lovely story, and thankyou Alastair Barnett for the recollections of yours and others past. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this. It had my mind feel as if I was there with you, aswell as remembering certain stories my grannie told us about when she was born in Beith. Beautiful and interesting memories, well done!!

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 5th Oct 2010, 04:05pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
RE: Refuge in the Storm:

I would like to thank Tommy Kennedy and “Martin” at GGB, for allowing me the opportunity to share My Refuge in the Storm, with the folks frae’ Glesga Toon back hame and around the world. And I thank everyone who took a moment to post so many kind comments. I’ve printed them all out and will treasure them always.

What a pleasure to find such an overwhelming response to my wee wartime story. I’ve laughed with you on reading your comments and reminiscences — aye and I’ve tear’d up too. Why am I not surprised to find the generous spirit of Glasgow folk very much alive and well?

No matter where we Scots roam around the world, the moment our radar picks up that oh so familiar Glasgow accent, whether it’s in a restaurant, in a mall or walking in a park somewhere, there’s an instant “heads-up,’ like a fawn startled in the forest and a connection takes place and we are comforted knowing that “family” is near and we are not alone. That’s one thing that hasn’t changed over the years and never will.

“Refuge,” was not written without a few tears being shed -- and a few smiles too -- and I’ve enjoyed our wee stroll down memory lane together. Thanks for your company -- It’s been grand. Take care o’ yerselves.

Ṃran taing!

Alastair Barnett

+Quote Post
Ramblins
post 6th Oct 2010, 04:40pm
Post #20

Visitor
Member No.: 8,071
Hello Stephanie,

How very kind of you to write. Thank you for your generous comments.

I'm afraid the Scots Magazine, in their September issue, edited the story so harshly I felt compelled to send it out elsewhere. Someone in England, Tommy Kennedy, suggested he post the story on the Glasgow Guide Boards for me and the response has been really gratifying.

Kind regards to everyone down there in VA.

Alastair Barnett

QUOTE (Stephanie @ 4th Oct 2010, 05:27pm) *
Mr. Barnett,

My name is Stephanie Wright and your brother Jim is my employer...has been for over 7 years. He is my boss, but he and Nancy are both very precious and dear friends.

Jim showed me this article and asked that I read it....and it is so like hearing Jim's stories all over again. He has spoken of Sandy Butters, and you and Ian and your mother and of the people of Fearnan so many times that I feel as if I know you all personally as well.

Its a great, heartwarming and well told story of your childhood. Like Jim...when you tell these stories, you weave a beautiful tapestry of poetry. I cherish all of these stories so much, just as I am sure that you and he do....

Thank you for sharing the rich and heartwarming accounts of your childhood in the highlands!!

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 6th Oct 2010, 06:14pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Many thank for posting that great wee story Tommy. It was chust sublime.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 7th Oct 2010, 03:08pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Very vivid and touching account.

Thanks for bring this to us Tommy, lovey wee read it is.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
jock
post 7th Oct 2010, 11:32pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Many thanks Tommy for bringing us that great story. I an wondering if there is someone out there who could write a somewhat similar story from the viewpoint of youngsters who did not evacuate during the war. I was one of them but have neither the time nor the talent to do justice to the topic.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 8th Oct 2010, 12:11am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Well I was one Jock- 8 years old when when war was declared. I'll post some memories of it over the week-end.
I never knew'tll I read Alastair's story tha Glasgow kids were evacuated.

+Quote Post
hubert
post 8th Oct 2010, 04:03pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Thanks Tommy for the PM and heads up on this story, and yes tears and thoughts prevailed.
I was born in Nov 1938 at Glasgow Maternity, and brought up in Clydebank as thats where my family lived, dad served an apprenticeship at Browns shipyard and went to the RAF during the war, with my mother wee sister and myself staying with my granny up the close at 12 Chalmers street above the main post office, a short street between Kilbowie Rd. and Alexander St.
Being very young I still remember sitting on an aunties knee in a shelter with the German bombs whistling doon during the blitz, that shelter was directly across from where we lived in Clydebank.
As time past I would hear stories of the Clydebank blitz and one was a direct hit on a shelter with all killed, also going to the pictures after the war to the La Scala a real nice place probably then ahead of its time in style, I walked over ground strewn with bricks and flattened hooses at the top of Kilbowie Rd. that area was called the holy city because the roof tops before demolished by the German bombs had flat roofs, and was told that a pub had been there and it got a direct hit, with the bodies of patrons that had went doon intae the cellars never got oot.
My mother sister and I were for a short time were evacuated to Ayrshire, to family from my grannies side, who were from I think it was Catrine, Mauchlin, Auchenleck, close to where Rabbie Burns came from, I think.
Thanks for the memories sad and good.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 13th Oct 2010, 03:24pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Photos of 'Fearnan'
Springbank Cottage

Alastairs Dad

Lucy feeding the hens

Sandy Butters/Game keeper Alec Macdougal & friend

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.