Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Street in Townhead, What was the name?
Rating 5 V
**salfordles**
post 21st Jul 2010, 10:44pm
Post #46

Garden Street ran between Taylor Street and Weaver Street. There was also a street which ran off Garden Street down to Cathedral Street. Don't know the name but there was a coal ree on the right where I often filled our pram when my Mammy couldn't afford a full bag from the coalman. That was quite often.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dlfp
post 4th Aug 2010, 07:38pm
Post #47

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,810
hello,

I'm researching my grandmother Gibson's past. She was born in St Mungo Street (39), Townhead (1915) and would have gone to school here. Can anyone tell me which school she would most likely have attended or at least narrow it down to a couple? Her name was Helen and she had four older siblings, Mary, William, Margaret and James. The parents were called William and Margaret Gibson.

+Quote Post
*Margaret Harley*
post 20th Aug 2010, 02:45pm
Post #48

I lived in Montrose St. Went to st Mungos Primary. I see they have changed the name of Montrose St to Allan Glen Drive or something like that. Mr Cherry's shop was on Cathederal St. beside the coblers and the licenced grocer we spent our thrupence pocket money on penny lollies and sweets in Mr Cherrys and in Taylor St. you could get a penny's worth of crisps, she would open the bag and make a cone out of paper and fill it with crisps for a penny.For sixpence you could get a bowl of peas in the café and put lashings of vinegar on them - yummy. Black St swings had a big slide. I loved Townhead it was full of nice people.

+Quote Post
Elizabeth H
post 22nd Aug 2010, 11:55am
Post #49

Settling In
Member No.: 5,577
I lived between two houses in townhead, my granny's at 119 Kennedy Street, and my mum/dad/sister's house in 23 Martyr Street, I sometimes go back into town just to wander around the old haunts. My mother moved to Grafton Place when the houses were being demolished.

You could come through the close from Martyr Street on to Parly Road, there was a clothes shop on one side straight across from Gizzi's and Curley's grocers shop which normally had a queue down the street especially on a saturday, there was also Camilla's hairdressers, across the road there was a great leather shop which sold schoolbags/cases etc, next to that was the bagwash which was run by a really nice Polish man, next door was a book shop? My gran used to send me in to get detective magazine's which were stamped and had to be taken back by a certain date, I never realised until years later that it also dealt in dodgy magazines (probably mild compared to what is even in the papers today), I remember going for the messages with my gran and saying hello to quite a few men, she was quite shocked and asked me how I knew them, when I told her so innocently they went into the magazine shop I was never sent again.

My favourite was Valerio's ice cream cafe, and Romeo who had a wee grocer's shop, there was also the Co-operative in Glebe Street, which organised day trips to the seaside, parties in the hall at Christmas, also at election time we would all clamber on the the open top lorry which was decorated with bunting and be driven round the streets. During the summer holiday's the older children rounded up all the younger one's and we would all be told which part we were going to play in the show that they were organising, it usually took place in the back court with a makeshift stage, some of the parents/granny's/aunts baked and we sold cakes/drinks at the interval, the money made from the show was then used for an open air party before we went back to school.

+Quote Post
weelew
post 22nd Aug 2010, 10:22pm
Post #50

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
I notice on the post by Elizabeth h the name of Valerios. I was born in the Townhead and stayed in Stirling road ,on the corner of Glebe street ,No 57 .The name Valerios rang a bell .I am sure that the doctors we used was called Valerio and the other one in the practice was i think Goodman .They were up around Parley road .Does anyone remember these doctors .

+Quote Post
**Pat Doyle**
post 23rd Aug 2010, 09:28am
Post #51

QUOTE (Margaret Harley @ 20th Aug 2010, 03:47pm) *
I lived in Montrose St. Went to st Mungos Primary. I see they have changed the name of Montrose St to Allan Glen Drive or something like that. Mr Cherry's shop was on Cathederal St. beside the coblers and the licenced grocer we spent our thrupence pocket money on penny lollies and sweets in Mr Cherrys and in Taylor St. you could get a penny's worth of crisps, she would open the bag and make a cone out of paper and fill it with crisps for a penny.For sixpence you could get a bowl of peas in the café and put lashings of vinegar on them - yummy. Black St swings had a big slide. I loved Townhead it was full of nice people.

Margaret,

Was your Father Charlie,and did he come from near Dungloe. I`m one of the Doyle`s from 113 Montroes Street.

Cheers Pat.

+Quote Post
**Pat Doyle**
post 23rd Aug 2010, 09:51am
Post #52

QUOTE (dlfp @ 4th Aug 2010, 08:40pm) *
hello,

I'm researching my grandmother Gibson's past. She was born in St Mungo Street (39), Townhead (1915) and would have gone to school here. Can anyone tell me which school she would most likely have attended or at least narrow it down to a couple? Her name was Helen and she had four older siblings, Mary, William, Margaret and James. The parents were called William and Margaret Gibson.

St.Mungo`s Primary Stanhope St.and then in the same building the infants and primary where taught by the Sisters Of St.Vincent De Paul. I attended boys infants and on to primary in Glebe St. of which its back gate opened out on to St.Mungo`s St.I hope this info.is of help
Cheers Pat.

+Quote Post
**Pat Doyle**
post 23rd Aug 2010, 10:01am
Post #53

QUOTE (*salfordles* @ 21st Jul 2010, 11:46pm) *
Garden Street ran between Taylor Street and Weaver Street. There was also a street which ran off Garden Street down to Cathedral Street. Don't know the name but there was a coal ree on the right where I often filled our pram when my Mammy couldn't afford a full bag from the coalman. That was quite often.

Collins St.which housed the baths and the wash-house.But i must say you`r going back some years
Cheers pat

+Quote Post
**Pat Doyle**
post 23rd Aug 2010, 10:12am
Post #54

QUOTE (weelew @ 22nd Aug 2010, 11:24pm) *
I notice on the post by Elizabeth h the name of Valerios. I was born in the Townhead and stayed in Stirling road ,on the corner of Glebe street ,No 57 .The name Valerios rang a bell .I am sure that the doctors we used was called Valerio and the other one in the practice was i think Goodman .They were up around Parley road .Does anyone remember these doctors .

Yes they where my family Doctors, lived ln Montrose St.all my young years.
Went to St.Mungo`s Glebe St.1947/52 then St.Roch`s 1952/55
Cheers Pat Doyle

+Quote Post
smash and grab
post 31st Aug 2010, 09:21pm
Post #55

Settling In
Member No.: 8,890
anyone remember jacks mountain, miss bickets, philips ice lollies,joe cowens the barber,cambells the chemist,harry macdonalds, maggie broons fruit and toties,mrs pearsons the dairy, dununskis the cafe hughie corsons yur saturday tupence, the economic stores, jacks fish and chips wullie heenans the bookies,
now that was toonheed

+Quote Post
weelew
post 31st Aug 2010, 10:06pm
Post #56

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
Does anyone remember the swap shop on the Parlie road.

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 31st Aug 2010, 11:59pm
Post #57

City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,432
Does anyone remember those ice cream ice lollies that were wrapped in silver paper and were square in shape, been trying for ages to remember the name of this ice cream, I think it also had black writing on the wrapper? and from the 1960's.

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 1st Sep 2010, 12:45am
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
mary cany remember the one that you mentioned but I do remember the big orange jubilee's wraped in a very hard to open thick boxy sort of container, (and kind of waxy as well) a often wonder if we were meant to eat them or jist let them melt. huh.gif

+Quote Post
*manny o,rourke*
post 18th Sep 2010, 09:10am
Post #59

QUOTE (Wee May @ 26th Dec 2008, 10:06pm) *
I'm posting this on behalf of my mum. Does anyone remember Garden Street in Townhead? She was born there in 1947 and lived there for several years. It never seems to be mentioned anywhere. She remembers that there was only 5 closes on Garden Street, 3 on one side, two on the other. The neighbouring Streets were Weaver St, Paul St and Taylor St. I would appreciate any information.

I was born at in 30 Taylor St in 1935, Garden st was a quiet street which ran from Taylor St to Weaver St and had only 5 closes as you say.
On the Taylor St end was Mr and Mrs Sutherland,s shop they lived in the back of the shop which was like a single end, they only sold bread and rolls fire wood odds and ends like needles and thread he used make forts to sell at Christmas time , I often wonderd how they ever made a living I suppose he also had a job as well. The opposite corner ws frieland school which was an annexe to Saint Mungo,s girls Primary in Stanhope St, there was also a house between Taylor St and Paul St which was a converted shop or store and a family of four stayed in it I remember the names of a few families a boy with an unusual name of Terry Purse the livingstone,s the Melvin,s on the corner with Paul st was a builders yard called P White,s and a garage repair shop at the bottom of Paul St was kyles the cobblers then Paul Gaye the coal ree there were only 2 closes in Paul Stand on the same side of P White's was Wordies stables I cuold go on all day reminising but I hope that paints a picture in words for you.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 19th Sep 2010, 12:45am
Post #60

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Manny,

God Bless ye and all ye love and welcome.

Rab S*

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Feb 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.