Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Atholl House, Partick 1974. Do You Remember It?, Un-wed mum's home in 1970's (Partick)
lulufan29
post 28th Jan 2009, 12:25am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,463
smile.gif

Hello everyone, This is my first post and I'm not really sure if this is the correct place to post it, but here goes.........any help/replies greatfully received.

In Oct 1974 aged 20yrs, I stayed in an un-married mothers nursing home in Partickhill, not far from the train station and Peel Street. It was quite a big building and think it was called Atholl House. I was going to have my child adopted after the birth and was to stay there for 3 months.

I was a very young and naive girl at the time and have many memories of that big old house.

To cut a long story short, I had my son in Dec 1974 and was lucky enough to be able to keep him (thanks to the help of my parents who allowed me to bring him home)

Anyway, for many years I have always wondered if the home is still there, I now doubt it is after all this time, but wondered if anyone remembers it and knows if it is still there.

I'm just so curious and have lived away from the area for many years now, I'd love to maybe one day return to the area to see how it looks now etc etc.

Many Thanks..............Kind Regards, Lulufan29
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*hami39*
post 28th Feb 2009, 06:28pm
Post #2

Hi Lulufan 29 - well this also is my first ever enrtry on a discussion board! - Atholl House was (and still is) located at 63 Partickhill Road, Partick and is still used as a house - looks like a family are living in it at the moment and possibly running a small business from it.

It is as you remember - a big old house and from what I can see it was run as M & B Hostel for possibly over 25 years for unmarried mothers.

My interest in it has been recent as I have just discovered that it was from Atholl House that I was looked after from birth to adoption - I would love to know more about the House, how it ran and who ran it.

Would like to share our different perspectives on Atholl House and could try and get a picture sent down to you of the house sometime,

hami39

+Quote Post
hami39
post 28th Feb 2009, 06:44pm
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,600
Hi - have just read your message - like you, I have never shared info on a discussion board before.

Atholl House - you will be pleased to hear - is still there - it was and is located at 63 Partickhill Road, Partick and looks to me as if it was run for over 25 years by M & B Hostel as a home for unmarried mums. It is as you remember - a big old house and it looks as if it is a family home at the moment with the possibility of a small business beng run from it.

I only discovered last moth that this was where I was looked after from birth to adoption and so I have a real interest in hearing more about how it was run, who ran it and what it was like inside.

I even have a picture of it and can share this with you at sometime,

best wsihes,

hami39

+Quote Post
lulufan29
post 28th Feb 2009, 09:52pm
Post #4

Unpacking
GREAT NEWS!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I've sent you a private message with my reply
Best Wishes, Lulufan29

If anyone else has any info I'd be really grateful to hear about it, Thanks in advance! xx

+Quote Post
**Val**
post 25th Jul 2009, 12:12pm
Post #5

Hello lulu and hami,
What a surprise it was to find someone else who had been in Atholl House.
I lived in the mother and baby home also but ten years before you lulu. In 1964, I gave birth to a beautiful son who I had to have adopted.
I moved away from Glasgow a long time ago and have not been back to Partick for many years; but I thought that Atholl house had been knocked down and replaced with another building. I can't remember where this information came from; but it must have been wrong; as you say Atholl House is still there hami.
I too would be very interested to hear from anyone who has information about the place and as I am still living in Scotland, I might just take a trip to Glasgow to see for myself.
I hope I am not too late in discovering you messages on the site and that you are still checking for replies.
Best wishes.
Val.

+Quote Post
stucol
post 28th Sep 2009, 10:54pm
Post #6

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,535
First post for me too.

I was in Atholl House from May to June 66. Born to a single mum then adopted by a family in the east end.

Would be interesting to hear who ran Atholl house. Social Work dept tried to research it for me but found no info.

Stu

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 28th Sep 2009, 11:32pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (lulufan29 @ 28th Jan 2009, 02:30am) *
smile.gif

Hello everyone, This is my first post ...
... To cut a long story short, I had my son in Dec 1974 and was lucky enough to be able to keep him (thanks to the help of my parents who allowed me to bring him home

Hi Lulufan,
It touches me to read your post and those that followed. I was born in `44 in "Homelands" Great Western Road, Home for Unwed Mothers. It surprised me that you stayed 3 months where you were
and I'm glad that your parents stood by you at the end.
I can well imagine that things were a whole lot different in Scotland in `44. I don't hold it against my mother that she offered me up for adoption
... we all have to play our hands as the cards are dealt, and I had a good upbringing, really, but I'm now trying to find my real mother and just to let her know that I appreciate the gift of life.
I can well imagine that hard decisions have to be met and can understand, even when I was young, that a single or multible reason lies behind such decisions so I can only say that I guess other folks in my position probably feel the same. No doubt you are thankful to your parents but I sometimes wish "parents" had no say in the matter. In My "clan" there are ... 5 children ... no ... 6 ... born out of wedlock and as far as I'm concerned there can be another 5 or 6. They all belong to my wee clan. Good luck to all of you ladies and whatever your decisions are don't worry. It all works out OK which ever way it goes.
From one who knows.
TeeHeeHee
Tomi.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
post 29th Sep 2009, 12:19pm
Post #8

Special Visitor
Member No.: 2,268
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 29th Sep 2009, 01:37am) *
Hi Lulufan,
It touches me to read your post and those that followed. I was born in `44 in "Homelands" Great Western Road, Home for Unwed Mothers. It surprised me that you stayed 3 months where you were
and I'm glad that your parents stood by you at the end.
I can well imagine that things were a whole lot different in Scotland in `44. I don't hold it against my mother that she offered me up for adoption
... we all have to play our hands as the cards are dealt, and I had a good upbringing, really, but I'm now trying to find my real mother and just to let her know that I appreciate the gift of life.
I can well imagine that hard decisions have to be met and can understand, even when I was young, that a single or multible reason lies behind such decisions so I can only say that I guess other folks in my position probably feel the same. No doubt you are thankful to your parents but I sometimes wish "parents" had no say in the matter. In My "clan" there are ... 5 children ... no ... 6 ... born out of wedlock and as far as I'm concerned there can be another 5 or 6. They all belong to my wee clan. Good luck to all of you ladies and whatever your decisions are don't worry. It all works out OK which ever way it goes.
From one who knows.
TeeHeeHee
Tomi.

None of us asked to be born

I have 4 without the paperwork and 2 with but they are all my granweans all diiferent all loved thats whats important to children,

Hope you all were happy kids.

+Quote Post
lulufan29
post 3rd Oct 2009, 10:16pm
Post #9

Unpacking
biggrin.gif Hi Val, Stucol & Teeheehee, Sorry I've taken so long to reply ~ I haven't been on here for ages ~ I went to see Atholl House (from the outside this time) in April this year ~
it was good to see the big house again ~ it was a very emotional visit.

I just remember being so happy at being able to keep my son ~ I guess I was one of the lucky ones ~ my parents were really supportive throughout my pregnancy ~ I had planned to have my son adopted (because I didn't think I'd be able to support him on my own) but the minute he was born, I just knew I could never part with him ~ my parents gave me their blessing and said they would help me ~

Thankfully I proudly kept my son and watched him grow into the wonderful man he is today.

As previously posted by Hami ~ Atholl House looks like it is now a family home.

It saddens me to hear of girls who had to give up their babies, it must have been the hardest thing they ever had to do.
Thankfully nowadays it's made so much easier for single mums to keep their babies.

Anyway, thats enough of me going on ..........Best Wishes to you all, Lulufan29.

+Quote Post
**Jim**
post 25th Oct 2013, 12:33am
Post #10

Have stumbled across this but Atholl House at Partickhill is the home of broadcaster and known TV face Kaye Adams and her family.

+Quote Post
**jennifer**
post 21st Nov 2013, 10:51pm
Post #11

Hi yes the house has been used as the Adams family house since 27th June 2007. However the house was definitely an unmarried mother & baby home in the early 70's as I also went there to have my baby. The staff were wonderful. It was well run and they gave us everything we needed. I kept my baby too, thank goodness smile.gif I felt sad for the girls who couldn't though and I often wonder how they all are now.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Jul 2015, 08:08am
Post #12

My father was also here until he was adopted in 1957. Trying to piece the jigsaw sadly, not with us today any info would be grateful.

+Quote Post
*Cat 25*
post 19th Sep 2016, 08:55pm
Post #13

I was also in Atholl house in the 70's, it was not a good time in my life. Now after all these years its popped back into my head. And with it nightmares. I hope my wee baby went to a good home as she was an innocent. I wasnt given any choice or support just hidden away from view until after the event and then left to try and cope. 😢

+Quote Post
*Wilsdun*
post 28th Sep 2016, 10:47am
Post #14

First message.

I was in Atholl House in 1972...remember it and the other girls very well.

Beautiful house run by WRVS if I remember correctly... tough time but also some good times.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.