Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sailing Doon The Watter, nostalgia
big tommy
post 1st Oct 2005, 12:48pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
laugh.gif Do you remember the Queen Mary II sailing from the Broomielaw? I certainly do. OH! The thrill of sailing down the Clyde, staring in awe at the skeletons of great ships yet to be launched. The sound of the great hammers on steel hulls, the flash of welders' torches or the fireworks display of the grinders tools.

We continued sailing in later years on that other famous lady, Waverley, but what happened to the Queen Mary II? I did hear once
that there was a fatal accident on her concerning a flying hawser. Can anyone enlighten me?

In these modern days of supersonic air travel and enormous luxury ferries, and sadly the demise of the greatest shipbuilding industry of its time in the world, these are certainly memories to cherish.

As told by Dugald

Big Tommy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by big tommy: 30th Oct 2005, 05:01pm

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 1st Oct 2005, 03:59pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
she is still sailing as a cruse liner that is what it says on internet wink.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
boots
post 2nd Oct 2005, 07:53am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,524
Tommy your comments reminded me of the day the Queen Eliuzabeth was launched. I lived in Clydebank and attended Radnor Park school, on the day of the launching, our class (and probably our entire schoolbody) were taken down to Dumbarton Road, given little Union Jacks then lined up on the sidewalk to wave to the royal family as they passed on their way to the shipyard. This we did quite cheerfully, happy to have time out of the classroom and the opportunity to see the two little princesses, Elizabeth and Margaret Rose. We were quite excited when they came into view, wearing identical coats, one in blue, the other pink. We waved with enthusiasm and were delighted when they waved back. We barely noticed the king and queen, we were so focused on the princesses. Once the royal family had passed, we had little interest in the rest of the procession until we spied the paddy wagon bringing up the rear.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.