Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Charing Cross/ Anderston Memories
APigott
post 15th Jan 2018, 06:05pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 45,169
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently working on a radio/audio documentary about the buildings etc. that were destroyed to make way for the M8 motorway, and would love to hear any memories anyone has of the Charing Cross/ Anderston areas pre- M8.

It would be amazing to hear from anyone who used to live/work/go to school around those areas, and any memories/photos etc. anyone has of buildings or landmarks that were knocked down, or just of what the areas used to be like. (We're also looking for people to interview for the documentary, so if anyone's interested that would be really great too!)

Thanks!
Alice
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 16th Jan 2018, 10:16am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hi Alice

I have sent you a personal message, in response to your request.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
Magi
post 27th Feb 2020, 09:21pm
Post #3

Settling In
Member No.: 236
remember charging cross well . I worked at Elders. i had to cross the road where all the street cars passed my stiletto heels caught in the car rails And Imwent flying.....I remember well it still hurts 65 years later!!!

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 27th Feb 2020, 10:39pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Magi @ 27th Feb 2020, 11:21pm) *
remember charging cross well . I worked at Elders. i had to cross the road where all the street cars passed my stiletto heels caught in the car rails And Imwent flying.....I remember well it still hurts 65 years later!!!

Same thing happened to my mother also at Charing Cross except the shoe along with her foot in it were stuck with a tram bearing down on her. She managed to get away in time.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 27th Feb 2020, 11:34pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
I will never forget Charing Cross in Glasgow, for two reasons. The first one is, that is where I said goodbye to my family, aged 8, then boarding a chartered bus full of evacuees like myself to begin our long journey to Canada.

The second reason is that is where I had my first date with the girl I will be married to for 67 years, next week.

I never tire of telling people the cinema we went to was known as the Crystal Palace. It was owned by AE Pickard, the eccentric millionaire from Yorkshire who bought much of the properties in that and other nearby neighbourhoods.

Inside the cinema, were mirrors on both walls. The foyer was lit by crystal chandeliers, and had glass doors.

He performed the opening ceremony by standing across the road with a light wooden caber, then charging across the road and smashing the glass doors.

Above the front doors, and side windows, there was a model of the Forth Railway bridge, and a working model of a steam train with carriages.

During the late 1940’s or early 1950’s, he stood as an Independent candidate in General Election. His office for the period leading up to the election, was in Maryhill Road, next to a cinema named the New Star? In his office window there was a notice hanging which read, “If you vote for me you are daft”

I seem to remember that about 200 daft people voted for him.

Some years later, my brother who was an electrician was given the job of rewiring Pickards house, near Ibrox. I think it is in Dumbreck Road. In one of the rooms, there were portraits of Pickard hanging on the walls. He was dressed in full military uniform, posing as Napoleon and other historical figures. Some man!

Danny

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.