Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glaswegians To Get Mickey Mouse Lessons, Charm school for Commonwealth Games
*Guest*
post 4th Jun 2012, 08:08am
Post #16

I think it's a great idea. Glasgow and Scotland want to become international players? They need to raise their game and it does come right down to the small details like how to be gracious. Glaswegians on the whole have a pleasant, jovial approach - but it only works if you understand it. What people need to grab hold of is that the world is a much bigger place and many people wouldn't understand the Glasgow way... Example, I was in Buchanan Street Bus Station with a friend going to Glasgow Airport. She said to the guy at the information desk, "Excuse me, can you tell me where to get a bus to the airport?" He responds smugly, and it was definitely smug, "Which airport?" The Glasgow way is out of date and often completely inappropriate, and I feel during the Commonwealth Games, we need to make sure we are not embarrassed by ourselves and our lack of ability in the simplest areas, like social grace.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
irrie
post 4th Jun 2012, 08:11am
Post #17

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Good one Jagz and very true also. [ Thats my posh voice.]

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 4th Jun 2012, 08:12am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 4th Jun 2012, 02:57am) *
I beg to differ the Glaswegians you are describing are a very small minority who weren't brought up but dragged up by the scruffs of their necks.

Well said droschke7 thumbup.gif

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 4th Jun 2012, 08:14am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
The only problem with Glesga folks way of talking is that they tend to cut corners when speaking for instance you often hear them when they come out here going into a shop and asking for a bottle of Wa-ur instead of Water the T sound is swallowed during the pronunciation,or they will ask for a loaf of Breid instead of Bread for instance I was in a queue in a shop once when a Scots woman told a Greek shop keeper "she waantid some Breid" at least a half Dozen times before I eventually told him what she was after.

I was guilty myself when I first came here talking about someone called Pee-ur until the local I was talking to asked what this word Pee-ur meant.

That brought it home to me that I had to slow down and pronounce the words properly.
Its still a Scots accent although not the hard Glesga accent anymore,in fact sometimes i'm asked if i'm Irish wink.gif

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 4th Jun 2012, 08:19am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
I think we all can talk the talk but know when to slow it down for visitors to Glasgow
I was on a cruise a few weeks ago and more that one passenger commented on liking our accents
Mind you I did say to them when my friends were talking among themselves, can you follow the conversation biggrin.gif

I was brought up in Springburn/ Milton so I dont have a pan loaf accent

by the way, who pays for the course?
Bye for now, Norrie

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 4th Jun 2012, 08:32am
Post #21

QUOTE (droschke7 @ 4th Jun 2012, 02:57am) *
I beg to differ the Glaswegians you are describing are a very small minority who weren't brought up but dragged up by the scruffs of their necks.

Is it a small minority? I think you're right that it's a minority, but in my opinion, it's not a small one. It's a significant minority. I'd even go further and say it's a small majority...

+Quote Post
eve lopez
post 4th Jun 2012, 10:14am
Post #22

Visitor
Member No.: 8,601
l have lived in spain for the last 26 years and l have still got my glasgow accsent and very proud of it we glasweigen dont ask other to change theirs so why insult us we are what we are and proud l wouldnt wish to be from any were else
thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Albanach
post 4th Jun 2012, 10:16am
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,054
As a Weegie living abroad (ie. in London), hearing the Glasgow accent is the friendliest, warmest, most welcoming experience I can imagine, short of stepping off the train at Central Station. I have no animosity towards Edinburghers, but they should keep their 'pan loaf' accent to themselves. Visitors to Glasgow expect to hear people in Glasgow speak with the local accent and use the local patter. Its probably one of the reasons they visit. The Edinburgh company should catch up. Not even the BBC speaks BBC English any more!

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 4th Jun 2012, 11:18am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Guest @ 4th Jun 2012, 09:23am) *
Example, I was in Buchanan Street Bus Station with a friend going to Glasgow Airport. She said to the guy at the information desk, "Excuse me, can you tell me where to get a bus to the airport?" He responds smugly, and it was definitely smug, "Which airport?"

The guy in the information desk was correct when he replied "which airport?", as a cab driver i ask the same question as tourists will refer to Glasgow Prestwick airport as simply "the airport", they also look confused when they ask to be taken to the train station and i ask them "which station?"

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 4th Jun 2012, 11:41am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Im with you Jagz. I don't understand why the Guest thought it was smug to ask "which airport". For all he knew the person could have been going to Edinburgh never mind Glasgow or Prestwich airports. Having worked in a called centre, I must say I've had to listen to worse accents than ours, the 2 trickiest were the Brummy and Newcastle accents. Its insulting to Glaswegians to suggest that we don't know how to speak to people visiting our city. I visit Liverpool regularly and for the most part have no problem understanding or being understood but there are couple of people who I've met there that might as well be speaking Swahili and I think thats true of every town or city. Mary

+Quote Post
The Callands Reb...
post 4th Jun 2012, 12:12pm
Post #26

Visitor
Member No.: 9,211
Good day Fellow Readers,

Aren't we all a bit tired of the PC'ers of this planet?

Those proposing the class for the service industry must be akin to those damn Yankees in the United States who think they have the corner on
"American lingo".

I, personally, am married to a Glasgow Lass and love their brogue.

Tell those potty flushers to jump into the Clyde, No Wait,you wouldn't
want to pollute the Clyde.

Stay as you are Glasgow.

Jerry
Virginia

+Quote Post
aussiejimmy
post 4th Jun 2012, 12:23pm
Post #27

Settling In
Member No.: 12,691
People who come from abroad have heard about the style and ways of life that is Glasgow and look forward to the unique experience that they have been told about . Granted they may struggle slightly to understand the lingo initially, but it is part of the fun of being here. Glaswegians like it or not by you who are not from here, have an inbuilt knack of engendering warmth and hospitality to visitors, I hear this all the time in my travels, and for "Quango" in (their) wisdom who think Glasgow should be retrained in the art of hospitality dont bother, its a natural successful art form we have that not many can emulate and if visitors to the Commonwealth Games dont get the real welcome they will not return

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 4th Jun 2012, 12:46pm
Post #28

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
QUOTE (Doug1 @ 4th Jun 2012, 10:08am) *
I'm not to sure what kind of school you went to to be belted for not speaking properly. I was brought up in Govan and spoke with a pretty normal glasgow accent but some of my classmates did speak with a stronger accent than me but i never heard of anyone being belted for that. However some english (english subject) teachers were quite strict about pupils being able to converse competently and clearly. You also say that broad scots is the language of glasgow. I would completely disagree with that. Glasgow is a melting pot of various accents ranging from the traditional heid, hame, and oot the noo variety up to very refined accents. I'm also not to sure about your premise about everything being dismantled after 1707. I seem to recall from my schooldays that this period of our history was one of great exploration and learning

PS welcome to GG

Not sure how old you are but most of us over 50 can remember the belt, I had it worse I went to a Military boarding school in Dunblane (secondary school) they had the belt the can the slipper drill time & cleansing duties. (Queen Victoria School Dunblane)

+Quote Post
rikkiduncan
post 4th Jun 2012, 01:00pm
Post #29

Visitor
Member No.: 8,661
QUOTE (chas1937 @ 4th Jun 2012, 08:42am) *
All I can add is that there are lot of Glaswegians who come on TV being interviewed and I cringe whenI hear them open their mouth.99.99% are fine but just that few that are a disgrace the way they speak and no I'm not a high falluting snob but just an ordinary guy of 75 who was born and bred here.I worked in yards,cleansing and also photograher so have always been in contact with all class of people.The ones that annoy me most are those with balls in their mouths and not a penny in their pockets

You have a problem with .01 percent of Glaswegians, get a grip and get a life.

--------------------
How come I always get the wee leg when the family have Haggis for tea ?

+Quote Post
frame
post 4th Jun 2012, 01:45pm
Post #30

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
It's been a while since I thought about the belt, for some of us it was almost a culture.
Not paying attention, not doing homework, getting caught with a comic on the knee, missing the bell, (on a frosty morning that could be bad).
You would approach this guy slowly,fearing the worst. All of a sudden his hand vanished inside his jacket. Was it a hanky, was it gun, nope, worse, it was a large thick three tailed demon that lived wrapped around his shoulder, and he was fast. Afterwards you would blow into those very sore cupped hands like some idiot trying to do bird calls.
How could any of us ever forget that Belt. Although, having said all of that, I never once remember getting it for my, then, very thick Glasgow accent.
I've lost that accent now, and there isn't a day that I don't regret that I have.
The remedy of course, is to come home to Glasgow and live for a few years, wouldn't take long before I was speaking like a true Glaswegian.
(nice thought).

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.