Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recognition For Wallace Monument, Site of Wallace's historic betrayal
GG
post 2nd Mar 2012, 12:13am
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
It had long been abandoned by Glasgow City Council (Labour), largely ignored by the Scottish Government (SNP), and belittled by Historic Scotland. Now, however, the huge historical significance of Robroyston in the nation's fight against an oppressive English ruler is beginning to be more widely recognised.

Importantly – as it is aimed at Glasgow children – a new historical guide to the city has highlighted William Wallace on the front cover, and includes coverage of both the Robroyston Wallace Monument and the nearby Wallace's Well.

The inclusion in the children's book is a significant milestone in the promotion of the two historical Glasgow locations, with the monument representing the exact spot where William Wallace was captured in 1305 by the soldiers of a Scottish noble acting on the orders of Edward I.

Attached Image Attached Image

Wallace's capture at Robroyston, together with his subsequent trial and brutal execution in London, have long been recognised as among the country's most important historical events. Wallace's death signalled a new era in Scottish resistance which was to pave the way to Robert the Bruce's victory at Bannockburn just nine years later, while the courage and bravery of Wallace after his capture elevated him to the status of national hero.

Although the monument and well had been mostly forgotten (and have been recently threatened with demolition by property developers), both sites have now attracted some investment thanks largely to the efforts of the William Wallace society. Glasgow Guide also set up a Robroyston Wallace Monument website in 2009 to highlight the dangers posed to the historical sites.

In further good news, the only item remaining in existence thought to have been in the possession of Wallace at the time of his capture at Robroyston – the 'safe transit letter' from King Philip of France – has been returned to Scotland for the first time in over 700 years and will go on display in Edinburgh in the summer.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Waverley
post 2nd Mar 2012, 05:28am
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,832
Thanks for keeping me informed in New Zealand of William Wallace. Although we may be far away our Scottish Heritage is still important to me.

+Quote Post
0141black
post 2nd Mar 2012, 08:12am
Post #3

Visitor
Member No.: 11,825
I always tend to associate Wallace's demise with the Lake of Menteith.

--------------------
website - facebook - (please "like) - twitter - @glasgownoir

+Quote Post
*john = rmh*
post 2nd Mar 2012, 08:21am
Post #4

Menteith was the noble who betrayed and captured Wallace.

+Quote Post
greta
post 2nd Mar 2012, 08:44am
Post #5

Settling In
Member No.: 6,565
So pleased to hear about this as I am originally from Robroyston born and bred. My mother and father took us many times to Wallaces Well when we were kids. I remember we used to throw coins into the well and make a wish. Although it is a sad part of our history, it is an important part that we not forget Wallace and his sacrifice. There is no more significant hero than William Wallace in our countries past and it is only right that we keep these peoples history (whether it be happy events or not) alive for future generations. Thank you so much to the Glasgow Guide for keeping this highlighted and us informed. I think the next time I am in Glasgow I will pay a visit to the well and maybe throw in a couple of coins, for old times sake.

+Quote Post
George Brown
post 2nd Mar 2012, 10:18am
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 676
I always remember my father showing me Wallace's well and telling me the story of it.

I've never been back since and efforts to locate it have failed, but the mental image still remains

+Quote Post
chas1937
post 2nd Mar 2012, 10:24am
Post #7

Special Visitor
Member No.: 10,795
It's always nice too have some success with these things and so Glad that there are folk out there fighting to save our history

+Quote Post
Jazzsaxman
post 2nd Mar 2012, 10:29am
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 8,324
Betrayed by a Scottish nobleman. Some things never change.

Good to hear the monumement has some right and fitting status.

+Quote Post
andyguinness
post 2nd Mar 2012, 10:30am
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,467
I have been told many years past that the name Robroyston is actually the name given to the area, after the person who betrayed Wallace, his first name was Rau ra, if this is the right way to spell his name.

Therefore the area given to him by the English was called Rauratoun, again, i do not know if this is the correct spelling and over the course of the years it became known as it is now called.

Can anyone verify this or rubbish it?

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 2nd Mar 2012, 12:01pm
Post #10

Historic Scotland is correct in its assertion that the Wallace Monument at Robroyston is of little historic significance.

+Quote Post
**kid diamond**
post 2nd Mar 2012, 12:07pm
Post #11

I grew up in Balornock and as kids we would often make the pilgrimage to Wallaces well on our bikes. We didn't know the full history of who William Wallace was at that time just that he was a Scottish hero and that was good enough for us. We felt proud to have such a part of Scottish history on our doorstep and it is fantastic news that this piece of history will be preserved.

+Quote Post
*sleeping warrior*
post 2nd Mar 2012, 12:55pm
Post #12

This is a great development. As a child some 40+ years ago I first learned of Wallace from a school book . Thereafter my late father expanded my knowledge of Wallace and told me that he had played in the nearby rhubarb fileds as a boy in the 1920's.

For me, the recent refurbishment work has been well done and signifies the importance of the site and the legacy of William Wallace. However, I do regret that the Robroyston monument has been defaced by tributes to a more recent individual albeit that he has raised the profile of Wallace at the same time as his own.

I also regret that neither Mel Gibson nor Randall Wallace who have benefitted considerably from the Braveheart aspect haven't contributed to the development of this site.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 2nd Mar 2012, 12:57pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
GG do you know where the book is available. My friends grandson has been learning about William Wallace at school and he would love this, especially as he lives in Colston so not a million miles away from the monument. Mary

+Quote Post
Ayeyuya
post 2nd Mar 2012, 01:04pm
Post #14

Settling In
Member No.: 8,829
More mythical 'Scottish' History, this Country is getting more and more like a Disney Tartan theme park every Year.

+Quote Post
**Seamus**
post 2nd Mar 2012, 01:24pm
Post #15

Great News. I stay nearby to the Well and Monument and have taken my children to tell them the story of Wallace. The Well unfortunately is in a location that is too unsafe to take children as the road is dangerous and no pathway available. Recent refurbishment has been good to see but more development with improved and safe access would be welcome. With the local 'Wallacewell' Primary School only a short distance away, I know that it would be used for the children's field trips when learning about Scotland's and local history. Not to mention the source of the school name.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.