Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Billy Connolly Enter Politics?, Big Yin wanted to front Unionist agenda
GG
post 25th Sep 2011, 09:10pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Billy Connolly, the man who famously encouraged people not to vote for politicians "because it only encouraged them", has been touted as a future leader of the unionist campaign to keep Scotland in the United Kingdom. Such a move would mean that the former Govan shipyard worker would front a campaign supporting one of the main Scottish policy objectives of the Tory Party.

The proposal was put forward earlier this month by Tom Harris, Labour MP for Glasgow South. On launching his bid, Mr Harris said that the world-famous comedian was a "100 per cent Scottish hero" and the ideal man to assume leadership of the unionist battle to thwart Alex Salmond's drive for independence.

Although the Glasgow comedian is on the record as speaking out against nationalism, it remains unclear whether he would seriously consider such a high-profile move into politics. Observers are doubtful that the Big Yin would look favourably on Mr Harris's proposal, especially since the comedian is oft-quoted as having said that "the desire to be a politician, should ban you for life for ever being one".

Mr Harris, the former UK transport minister added:
"He would be perfect for all sorts of reasons. There is going to be this referendum but those of us who want to be part of the UK have no organisation and no figurehead. Billy might say no but we need to ask him."

Mr Connolly has yet to comment on the proposal.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tarheels
post 25th Sep 2011, 10:37pm
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,421
sorry GG i know nothing about the politics of Scotland or England , maybe i should study more ??
tarheels sad.gif

--------------------
lang may yer lum reek

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 25th Sep 2011, 10:47pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I too know nothing about politics in Scotland and only being an agnostic forbids me from saying, Thank God for that. rolleyes.gif
But I do know a bit about the Big Yin and although I voted No I'd actually like to see him meeting this Labour MP Tom Harris ... just for a laugh. laugh.gif
Come on, Billy. Show's yer stuff. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 25th Sep 2011, 11:33pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Well I suppose the approach to your 70th birthday is as good a time as any to embark on a new career but somehow I wouldnt put money on Connolly branching out.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 26th Sep 2011, 12:04am
Post #5

Yeah why not. The whole system is a joke anyway.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 26th Sep 2011, 12:40am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
"Yeah why not"
MPs earn approx 68k pa. Connolly probably makes that by riding up and down Route 66 or out talking to the eskimoes,not to mention his sell out shows.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 26th Sep 2011, 12:45am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (Guest @ 26th Sep 2011, 12:50am) *
Yeah why not. The whole system is a joke anyway.

You tell em Billy. It's a sick joke and no very funny.

A naw from me, just cannea see Billly in a suit an tie telling porky pies and claiming false allowances.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
*Alex Gray*
post 26th Sep 2011, 01:00am
Post #8

Sorry, but this does have to be a joke surely. A dysfunctional and obsolete Labour Party asking for hauners from a septogenerium comedium.

How low are these Labour chancers willing to stoop?

+Quote Post
buntygal
post 26th Sep 2011, 01:19am
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,880
No not really, much as I love Billy Connolly,I'm not sure he is the voice of Scotland, apart from that great Glasgow accent, I'm not sure that since he doesn't actually now reside in Scotland full time he would fully support this action. Has he even been asked the question....There are lots of very proud Scots all over this world who are Scots to their core but do not want complete independence to the rest of the UK.

+Quote Post
Garth Fletcher
post 26th Sep 2011, 02:09am
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 269
I do live in Canada but am a Springburnian--born and grew up there -slightly ahead of Billy. Billy is a great comedian who sees politicians for what they are: a great resourse for humour. Why F it up by taking sides?

Let the people decide.

Fletcher

+Quote Post
*nome*
post 26th Sep 2011, 02:12am
Post #11

Billy running for a tory campaign, a shounda think so, the 'BIG YIN hated maggie thatcher with a passion and everythin' else that wiz blue.

A dont think he is in any sence racist or a biggot, but I think he would be mair fur a free Scotland than a joined to some tits Scotland.

It would be interesting as well as nice to see what he would do and sasy.

+Quote Post
Noonan McKane
post 26th Sep 2011, 02:37am
Post #12

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,552
QUOTE (Garth Fletcher @ 26th Sep 2011, 02:55am) *
I do live in Canada but am a Springburnian--born and grew up there -slightly ahead of Billy. Billy is a great comedian who sees politicians for what they are: a great resourse for humour. Why F it up by taking sides?

Let the people decide.

Fletcher

Remember when that lad Ken Bigley, the engineer from Liverpool, was kidnapped and ended up having his head cut off by those hooded lads?

Billy was doing a show during that. He said he was fed up of waiting and wished they'd just get on with it (ie cut the lad's head off and be done with it) and a fella stood up and shouted "That's a man's life you're joking about." Billy told the fella to fu(k off.

Billy's famous and funny and wealthy and all, but possibly a bit light on the diplomacy?

Hey, you're right! That's the perfect politician!

Only jokin', of course. It's always nice to hear citizens of Canada express an opinion on the future of the United Kingdom, too. (I know you used to live here, but you don't now. Like Billy Connolly.)

+Quote Post
**dyer169**
post 26th Sep 2011, 02:55am
Post #13

He has every right to to run for a political office, thats if he still has UK status. He would fit right in with all the other comidians & would he travel from the USA to take his seat if elected.

The mind BOGGLES.

+Quote Post
john1948
post 26th Sep 2011, 08:25am
Post #14

Settling In
Member No.: 9,493
I think Billy would be a good politician, because most of them are comedians anyway.

+Quote Post
Negotiate Now
post 26th Sep 2011, 09:24am
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,951
No, the man is an entertainer, no more than that. I am always wary of celebrities being drawn into politics. He no longer lives in Scotland anyway.

Irene.

--------------------
www.negotiatenow.co.uk

+Quote Post

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.