Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did Tories Kill 25,000 Glaswegians?, New research points to lethal political attack
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Jun 2011, 11:52pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
... good point, but the one thing you can always be sure about (with) published scientific research papers is that one of the recommendations will be that further research is required clarify and explore the findings of the research just done

Scientists at the Glasgow Centre for Population Health (GCPH) conducted extensive research into a multitude of candidate hypotheses which may account for why thousands more Glaswegians have died than can be explained by the city's endemic poverty and deprivation (a phenomenon widely referred to as the 'Glasgow Effect').

I would have been happier to have read that Scientists at the Glasgow Centre for Population Health had come up with something better than conducting extensive research into a multitude of candidate hypotheses which may (or may not) account for any phenomena.
It all seems too much like my old man's saying, "If we had ham, we could have ham and eggs ... If we had eggs."

Now the trick is to unsucessfully attempt to scientifically disprove (falsifiability) the GCPH findings to; at least, establish a working thesis ... which may or may not become an accepted theory - at least until it is disproved. Jobs for the boys intit?

Scientific hypothesis

People refer to a trial solution to a problem as a hypothesis — often called an "educated guess" — because it provides a suggested solution based on the evidence. Experimenters may test and reject several hypotheses before solving the problem.

According to Schick and Vaughn, researchers weighing up alternative hypotheses may take into consideration:

Testability (compare falsifiability as discussed above)
Simplicity (as in the application of "Occam's razor", discouraging the postulation of excessive numbers of entities)
Scope – the apparent application of the hypothesis to multiple cases of phenomena
Fruitfulness – the prospect that a hypothesis may explain further phenomena in the future
Conservatism – the degree of "fit" with existing recognized knowledge-systems.

Evaluating hypotheses

Karl Popper's formulation of hypothetico-deductive method, which he called the method of "conjectures and refutations", demands falsifiable hypotheses, framed in such a manner that the scientific community can prove them false (usually by observation). According to this view, a hypothesis cannot be "confirmed", because there is always the possibility that a future experiment will show that it is false. Hence, failing to falsify a hypothesis does not prove that hypothesis: it remains provisional. However, a hypothesis that has been rigorously tested and not falsified can form a reasonable basis for action, i.e., we can act as if it were true, until such time as it is falsified. Just because we've never observed rain falling upward, doesn't mean that we never will—however improbable, our theory of gravity may be falsified some day.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 24th Jun 2011, 01:03am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
Certainly in 'Auld Glesga' booze' was an escape from misrable lifes. I often heard the English say of auld glesga: 'There's a pub on every corner' - they weren't far wrong.

What was Harry Lauder's old song 'When I get a drink on a Saterday night.............'

And of course it suited the Establishment for the masses to booze away thier money.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 24th Jun 2011, 08:37am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Tommy they had to keep them inebriated in order to let them dream off for a wee while from the miserable lives that they afforded the poor workers and that was when they still needed workers. It was only a slightly better existence that being used as cannon fodder when they never needed them.

How's the revolution going? Mind give me a shout when it is time for me to command the troops because The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
**Michael**
post 24th Jun 2011, 08:59am
Post #34

The report mentions a political attack by neoliberal politicians - does this not include Messrs Blair and Brown? Or do they get a free pass because it is Glasgow we are talking about?

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 24th Jun 2011, 09:23am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
I'm gonna make you responsible for rounding up Jupiter, Melody; he could be an informer/Quisling for the Establishment - and I don't trust that Thee, he hedges his bets, best he be eliminated; auldbutch could take care of him. tongue.gif
Must watch out for 'He' of many identities infiltrating the troops - definatley an informer. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Melody
post 24th Jun 2011, 09:39am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Great Tommy but it sounds a bit like Mission Impossible to me. I want to be Rosa Luxemburg, she was Jewish and I'm half Jewish and she liked singing as well. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 24th Jun 2011, 11:44am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
The more that social democracy develops, grows, and becomes stronger, the more the enlightened masses of workers will take their own destinies, the leadership of their movement, and the determination of its direction into their own hands. Rosa Luxemburg

She was imprisoned for her opposition to WW1.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 24th Jun 2011, 11:54am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I thought that Blair led a Social Democratic Labour government for 13 years until recently.
The only enlightened masses of workers that he and his government seemed to be interested in; apart from himself and friends, were the masses of imigrants he allowed to enlight onto our shores.
Rosa Luxemburg would turn in her grave at the wasted opportunity afforded the workin' class in great Britain.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 24th Jun 2011, 01:35pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
For sure they killed the hopes and dreams of many many people.

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
*Kenneth*
post 24th Jun 2011, 03:07pm
Post #40

Is this typical of Glaswegian attitudes to what the Union has done?

+Quote Post
*Healthy Mac*
post 24th Jun 2011, 03:13pm
Post #41

Eminent scientists ?? !! Don't make me laugh. More likely that deep fried Mars Bars are to blame together with a high rate of alcoholism and an unhealthy lifestyle.

Robert the Bruce must be turning in his grave at Dunfermline.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 24th Jun 2011, 03:42pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Vey true, Big Tommy, but people aren’t as stupid as in yesteryear, they want more than full bellies, they do have aspirations for a better quality of life
Since the post war years there has been 2 steps forward and one back in Social democracy; major step back: the Thatcher years and present government attempting a ‘Leap back’. People still get fooled by words/actions of politicians but again not as much as in yesteryear. Example: Cameron repeating yet again at Brussels news conference to-day: ‘People know we are taking action in Libya to protect the civilians’ – In Tory arrogance they believe people will accept this.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 24th Jun 2011, 04:00pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
In Tory arrogance they believe people will accept this.

At least Libya isn't one they can blame on 'the irresponsible previous Labour government'.

I'm sick & tired of being sick and tired wie THAT wan!

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 24th Jun 2011, 05:23pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Well they were full of envy a Labour government went along with Bush attacking Iraq, Davy, 'War is our busines' they said to them selves. If they had been in power they would have urged BUsh to take on Iran.
Mind they can blame Labour for putting fancy ideas into Thee's head - ideas above himself tongue.gif

+Quote Post
**harriet**
post 24th Jun 2011, 08:11pm
Post #45

It is a shame that such men had a bad time under the Tories. Is it a fair way to treat proud workers who built so much in their lifetimes and who made Glasgow what it was?

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.