Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Kids To Learn Online, £15.5m contract with Dell PCs
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 7
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 22nd Feb 2007, 10:12pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow City Council has signed a massive £15.5m contract with Dell PCs, to supply primary and nursery schools throughout the city with computer hardware and support services. From April this year, almost 7,500 Dell PCs will be delivered to Glasgow's pre-12 schools (170 primary schools and 122 nurseries).

The PCs will be available to students directly in classrooms, so that pupils can access the huge amount of online learning resources available via the Internet.

Neil McDonald, GCC's ICT manager for the education services said:

"The main benefit for pupils is to give them access to resources and content that are appropriate to 21st century learning.

The actual aim is to harness the technology for the betterment of learning for young people and the delivery of effective teaching."

In addition, all primary teachers and nursery school head teachers will receive brand new laptops to assist with classroom instruction.

Dell will also manage the schools' network, as well as staff a heldesk to assist in the initial deployment and follow-up maintenance. It is hoped that the helpdesk will free frontline teaching staff from the chores of computer support, in order that they focus on assisting online learning.

McDonald added:

"It [the helpdesk] takes away the pain and difficulty that's sometimes encountered by the use of technology."

The computer company opened a new base at City Park in Glasgow's Alexandra Parade in 2005.

Rate this story now...

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 23rd Feb 2007, 08:11am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif Should go down very well this idea as it`s been ongoing in Australia for many years now starting in nursery agegroups so well wishes I send to Glaswegians & Happy Learning. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
*Guest danny2309 **
post 6th Mar 2007, 06:09am
Post #3

Did the Government not try this before in conjunction with the BBC and it has disappeared?

If we are going to do this, I suggest that we have to train most teachers in the use of computers especially for child protection on the internet.

+Quote Post
*Guest sandie **
post 6th Mar 2007, 04:51pm
Post #4

hi i think its a great idea for kids in pre school its the way of the future glad to say that our schools have had computers for years for the pre schoolers. B)

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 7th Mar 2007, 03:12am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif Glad to say preschoolers in Australia have had Pcs in preschools here for 17-18yrs now & it is showing excelling proficiency in PC skills by the time the enter the high schools.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 13th Mar 2007, 04:49pm
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
Must say, I have mixed feelings about this.

Here in our Province,and I know in other parts of Canada, the problem of illiteracy,the inability of not being able to read and write a proper sentence,even at the University level is prevalant. There are complaints of not enough text books etc.,

Now I realize the wonders of technology are great..Need info fast...right at your fingertips...Need to type up an essay,don't worry about the spelling..click on a button and it all comes out perfect. But the machine cannot think for you...You must be able to compose an essay on your own, aren't you. Or forgive me, perhaps I am not quite up to date on all the wonders of this machine.

I am all for teaching our kids the use of computers and all the bells and whistles. BUT, and I am adamnant about this, to the point of writing to our Provincial Government protesting supplying each child with an electronic notepad,where the teachers themselves have to collect funds at times to buy the necessary supplies for everyday learning.

Teach them spelling,grammar,reading,composition to a level that we do not have kids graduating from University with appalling levels of literacy.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.