Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

73 Pages V  « < 71 72 73  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where In Glasgow Are You From?, Tell us about your home
Rating 5 V
librarian15
post 12th Nov 2016, 05:37pm
Post #1081

Unpacking
Member No.: 29,870
I was born in Southern General and weighed almost 2lbs. Iwent down to 1.1/2lbs. was given Last Rites. I would probably have been put in an incubater. Was in Hospital for almost 6 months. We went to our new attic flat in Nethan Street, Govan. Had a ball living there, playing all the usual games like, Postman's Knock, whipping peerie, chases, we got crepe paper from the shops and made skirts, waistcoats and giant bows for our hair. All our family came with biscuits and orange juice for afterwards, I went to St. Anthony's RC. Primary School. Had to leave when I was 11 as we had been given the keys to a brand new house. Loved it, my Dad told me we had running hot water whenever we needed it. Unknown to me, he had put the immerser switch on, I'm still as gullible today. Lived there till 1970, when I got married in the local Church. I heard that the Council demolished them and built private houses.

We now live in a village called Crosshouse, just outside of Kilmarnock. Been here for 40yrs. now.
This house was small when we bought, so we built a dormer ext. 4 bedrooms. All my Family are up and married now, so my Husband are rattling around in here. However, the Grandweans have arrived, so the house is busy once more.

My favorite place was Govan and I go back when I can. I'm sure a lot of your readers have come from Govan. I've just rejoined this site, so you'll probably be hearing from me again.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
taurus
post 12th Nov 2016, 09:09pm
Post #1082

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
very nice post librarian 15. I visited my Auntie a lot in Langlands Rd up Gall`s close,and i`m nearly sure Nethan St was just round the corner. We played in that street as Langlands Rd was very busy. That was in the very early 50`s. My aunties inlaws all lived in Nethan st all with thick Irish accents,then they started to get rehoused to Crookston and places like that. A terrible culture shock for these folk who preferred to live close knit. I loved going to Govan on the yellow car number 7 along James`s St,past Gorbals Cross,I knew every shop on the route off by heart,it was a big excursion for me looking out the tram window all the way. One day my big brother ,who was probably only about 14,decided to cycle and meet us there. I was so proud of him when I looked out the tram window on the road where the Clyde was ,and saw him peddling like mad,as if he could cycle faster than the tram.
Nice memories came back there.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 20th Nov 2016, 10:32am
Post #1083

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
librarian15,

I was born in 1950 and, at the time, my parents lived at 47 Nethan Street, the address on my Birth Certificate. Somewhere along the line, we moved to Fruin Street in Possilpark, followed by a move to Airgold Drive in theDrum, in either late 55 or early 56. Emigrated to Australia at the end of 1960 and have lived here ever since. Now living in a tiny country town in Central Western New South Wales, population around 200, and loving it. Love my Govan roots, my experiences in theDrum as I grew up and my experiences in my new country. Still keep in touch with Glasgow through GG and the other two major forums. Will never forget my early Glasgow upbringing ! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 20th Dec 2016, 09:10pm
Post #1084

QUOTE (librarian15 @ 12th Nov 2016, 05:37pm) *
I was born in Southern General and weighed almost 2lbs. Iwent down to 1.1/2lbs. was given Last Rites. I would probably have been put in an incubater. Was in Hospital for almost 6 months. We went to our new attic flat in Nethan Street, Govan. Had a ball living there, playing all the usual games like, Postman's Knock, whipping peerie, chases, we got crepe paper from the shops and made skirts, waistcoats and giant bows for our hair. All our family came with biscuits and orange juice for afterwards, I went to St. Anthony's RC. Primary School. Had to leave when I was 11 as we had been given the keys to a brand new house. Loved it, my Dad told me we had running hot water whenever we needed it. Unknown to me, he had put the immerser switch on, I'm still as gullible today. Lived there till 1970, when I got married in the local Church. I heard that the Council demolished them and built private houses.

We now live in a village called Crosshouse, just outside of Kilmarnock. Been here for 40yrs. now.
This house was small when we bought, so we built a dormer ext. 4 bedrooms. All my Family are up and married now, so my Husband are rattling around in here. However, the Grandweans have arrived, so the house is busy once more.

My favorite place was Govan and I go back when I can. I'm sure a lot of your readers have come from Govan. I've just rejoined this site, so you'll probably be hearing from me again.

I was born in the Southern General, went to St. Anthony's, know Nethan st. well as I used to go to St. Anthony's boys club there. I was 13 before we got a house with toilet and running hot water. (moved to Johnstone.) I also lived some time on and of in Kilmarnock. My favourite place is certainly not Govan and I only ever went back once after leaning for Australia, worked there in Fairfield's and lived for most years of my young life outside the back door of said "YAIRD".

The last time I went back there I went to Govan and could not bring myself to get of the bus. Although I live near the New South Wales, Queensland border, I still think of Melbourne as being home but would not trade where I live for any place else in the world.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 20th Dec 2016, 09:10pm
Post #1085

QUOTE (librarian15 @ 12th Nov 2016, 05:37pm) *

I was at the St. Anthony academy of a world knowledge from 1950 to 1956/7 I then went to St. Gerard's, Glasgow's foremost academy of advanced knowledge (least it wis then).

+Quote Post
Megrose
post 28th Dec 2016, 01:27pm
Post #1086

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,335
I was born in Lennox Castle Hospital, although we lived on Forrestfield Street in Royston - Garngad as was. I started school at St Roch's primary, but we moved to England in 1953. I still think of Glasgow as home, though.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 28th Dec 2016, 01:36pm
Post #1087

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (Megrose @ 29th Dec 2016, 12:27am) *
I was born in Lennox Castle Hospital, although we lived on Forrestfield Street in Royston - Garngad as was. I started school at St Roch's primary, but we moved to England in 1953. I still think of Glasgow as home, thou
gh.

Our first single end was in 11 Forrestfield St,that was in 1958. The whole street red buildings and ALL single ends,"lovers lane " they called it,loads of weans up every close,and I added 2,before coming to Australia in 1961.We were on the top storey,that was really a 4 storey building,and we could see Bothwell on a clear day. It was like fairyland at night. I loved the hot summer nights,we`d open the window and watch the lights in the distance all twinkling.

+Quote Post
Megrose
post 28th Dec 2016, 01:45pm
Post #1088

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,335
QUOTE (taurus @ 28th Dec 2016, 01:36pm) *
Our first single end was in 11 Forrestfield St,that was in 1958. The whole street red buildings and ALL single ends,"lovers lane " they called it,loads of weans up every close,and I added 2,before coming to Australia in 1961.We were on the top storey,that was really a 4 storey building,and we could see Bothwell on a clear day. It was like fairyland at night. I loved the hot summer nights,we`d open the window and watch the lights in the distance all twinkling.

We lived on the other side of the street in the 'Steel Houses'. Later, we moved down the road to Kintyre Street and my grandma continued to live there until the 1960s. Talking of seeing the lights, reminded me of when we lived on Kintyre Street and, at night, I used to watch the bright light from the furnace at the Blochairn Steel Works across the spare ground.

+Quote Post
zoro
post 9th Jan 2017, 07:21am
Post #1089

Settling In

Member No.: 32,688
Attached Image I was left at the front door in 8 lenzie street. Springburn in a Cabbage.....So I was told...Left Springburn for Balornock East when 8 years old..And loved it..Plenty open spaces..Got married in 63..Left for Australia 1970..And have had a charmed life ..I feel so sad at the younger generation Having to struggle with job opertunities...When we had Jobs galore....Hope it changes for the better... :-)

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
taurus
post 10th Jan 2017, 04:54am
Post #1090

Super Lord Provost
Oh Megrose, I used to look across at the steel houses and wish I lived in one and not up that horrible tenement building. We were in the first close,I think Kilberry St was the street round the corner. One day we went out pushing our pram and a wee drain on the pavement outside our close was spewing out sewerage,and we had to veer the pram around it. My husband said we`re getting out of here,and we came to Australia. Well it wasn`t all a bed of roses here at first,but it was good to get away from that lot of stairs with my pram and 2 babies. We looked across at the gas works and the steel works,and fell asleep every night to the clanging and banging. Didn`t bother us in the least.When you`re young you can sleep through the blitz.

+Quote Post
Kassy
post 1st Sep 2017, 12:31am
Post #1091

Visitor
Member No.: 13,510
Hi, Kassy here can't believe I have been a Member for 5 years.

I was born at home 124 Bluevale Street Glasgow and finally ended up living in Yorkhill Street until I was 18 then I moved met an American and the rest is history I live in the States now only been back for my mams funeral. Starting making contact with someone who knew some of my family but that came to a stop. I enjoyed my school days at Kelvinhaugh School then Finnieston School.
I have a school photo from Kelvinhaugh School must get it put up incase anyone remembers themself. I miss Glasgow and hope my family will trace my steps someday.

+Quote Post

73 Pages V  « < 71 72 73
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.