Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stores In Sauchiehall Street, Large stores on Sauchiehall St in the 60s
ashfield
post 26th Mar 2016, 08:43am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (ashfield @ 25th Mar 2016, 09:08am) *
The shop in Sauchiehall St is in, what was, a new building. No idea what was on that bit of land before, bordered by Sauchiehall St, Renfield St, Bath St and Hope St.

I had a look at the area on Virtualmitchell, couple of images of the previous building on Sauchiehall St (I don't remember them huh.gif ) and a few of Renfield St which did stir some memories. The main part of the BHS site was occupied by a large church. The corner of Renfield St and Bath St had a chippie called The Pacific, now, I must have been in there laugh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 25th Apr 2016, 09:29am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (ashfield @ 25th Mar 2016, 10:00am) *
Talking of missing.......BHS might not be about for much longer. Philip Green sold it for a penny to a venture group and market analysts reckon it no longer fits the high street. It's bound to either change radically or close.

Looks like it could be the end for BHS with the owners placing in into administration today. A serious worry for the estimated 11000 employees, I hope something can get sorted for them.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Rab
post 26th Apr 2016, 05:48pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
My mother worked as a dressmaker doing alterations in Trerons and C&A in Sauchiehall St. for years before the war and during it.

I am not surprised to hear the news of BHS going under! I have complained many times over some years now to staff that their clothes (which I used to buy a lot) were rubbish, hardly any sizes in stock and boring colours, and all-round lack of interest in customers. Once again, poor management and leadership fails the employees, leaving them to worry about their futures.

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Apr 2016, 11:26pm
Post #34

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Rab @ 26th Apr 2016, 06:48pm) *
Once again, poor management and leadership fails the employees, leaving them to worry about their futures.

Well said, Rab. The management and owners have heftily lined their own pockets for years while the store went downhill. Anyone could see that it was completely failing to respond to the changing needs and expectations of high street shoppers. Unfortunately, the owners were far too obsessed by stuffing as much money into their bank accounts that they did not give a jot for the employees or the customers.

Here's the Sauchiehall Street branch last week. When this goes – and it will – then, just like Mothercare up the road, the store will probably be empty for years, unless the council manage to give it away rent free. Loads of other retail premises in the street have been lying empty for years.

A once-proud Sauchiehall Street is now a tacky hovel.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
thingmytherr
post 30th May 2016, 07:37pm
Post #35

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,272
My aunt, Lilly McRae, worked as a waitress in the restaurant at Pettigrew & Stephens on Sauchiehall St. On my 11th birthday, in July 1963, I awaited her arrival off the bus at about 7pm but she never showed. She did not show on any bus in the next hour.
At 9.15pm, another aunt appeared at my mum's door with a policeman.....There had been a fire in the store and the smoke had caused panic. Lily was the only death and was found in a toilet by firemen.

Very sad.

+Quote Post
GG
post 2nd Jun 2016, 10:09pm
Post #36

Administrator
Group Icon
Looks like the end for BHS in Sauchiehall Street after stores nationwide are to be wound down with the loss of up to 11,000 jobs across the UK. One again it is absolutely disgusting that the thieving, robbing corporate barons walk away with millions in wholly undeserved dividend payments, while ordinary workers and pensioner ex-workers face lives filled with misery.

BHS to be wound down as rescue attempt fails
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36437445

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Jun 2016, 09:40pm
Post #37

Administrator
Group Icon
The store in Sauchiehall Street was still open today, continuing with what looks like an 'everything must go' sale. This is a typical prelude to closure, as the administrators try to get rid of all stock both to pay creditors and to lower stock-related closure costs. Shame.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 8th Jun 2016, 08:52am
Post #38

QUOTE (GG @ 3rd Jun 2016, 09:40pm) *
The store in Sauchiehall Street was still open today, continuing with what looks like an 'everything must go' sale. This is a typical prelude to closure, as the administrators try to get rid of all stock, both to pay creditors and to lower stock-related closure costs. Shame.

GG.

It has been my experience here in Australia, when there is an "Everything must go" sale it means that everything of value and quality has been unloaded to alternative retail elements and the remainder, usually Bangala De' Desh brands are marked up with deceitful sales tags indicating markdowns that are really mark ups on remainder rubbish.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.