Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lambhill Cemetery, Looking for grandparents grave
sss65
post 21st Dec 2015, 05:58pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 1,333
Hi all- I am hoping to find my grandparents grave when we come up to Glasgow for a few days at Hogmanay.
I have the lair number but finding it hard to decipher the info on the deeds for the lair-
The number is 1306
Then it says compartment J I think and then class C?

Does anyone have any idea how I can find them as I don't really want to have to look at every grave in the cemetery?

Hope fully attached is a picture of the lair details. I have a photo of the gravestone too but it's not possible to determine the location from the photo.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 21st Dec 2015, 07:41pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Is this any help?

http://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/Exp...etery%20Map.pdf

+Quote Post
flam
post 21st Dec 2015, 08:03pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
If you go up on a week day, there is an office as you go through the gates at the Western Necropolis (Cadder) , and they will tell you how to get the lair..The number of the lair is usually on the bottom of the headstone on the grave..Hope you find it

+Quote Post
sss65
post 21st Dec 2015, 08:57pm
Post #4

Settling In
Member No.: 1,333
Hi Betsy - thanks for the map- I got hold of one but the lair information I have didn't seem to match to the letters on that map. Its hard to read what the compartment is on the deeds we have.

Thanks flam- someone told me that there isn't anyone on duty there now?? Not sure if this still happens? Looks like we will just have to split up and look!!

+Quote Post
flam
post 21st Dec 2015, 10:29pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
The main gate to Lambhill Cemetery ,is closed to traffic at Balmore Road if you are driving

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 22nd Dec 2015, 09:04am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Hi sss65. What you are missing is the section number. If you have time when you visit, go to the family history in the Mitchell Library ( 5th floor) and some one there will help. Mary

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 22nd Dec 2015, 11:01pm
Post #7

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
Land Services, Glasgow City Council - information available online (use the High Street or Bell Street address) give them a call if you can't get access at the cemetery. Do not be tempted to approach the staff at the crematoria at Glasgow Crematorium as this is not part of the cemeteries enclosed in 'Lambhill Park' but run by the Scottish Cremation Society.

If you go to into the cemetery be aware that there are actually three cemeteries; Lambhill, Western Necropolis and St Kentigerns with the additional Tresta Road extension. The map posted by Betsy is very helpful indeed but beware there has been an extensive amount of vandalism in the cemetery and don't assume that a headstone (if any) is still standing or indeed, still present!

Good luck with your search.

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.