Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Townhead 1940's To 1960's , Do you remember me?
Rating 3 V
ronniewilliams
post Y'day, 11:28am
Post #91

Unpacking
Member No.: 33,948
QUOTE (*johnkerr52* @ 10th Aug 2016, 10:38am) *
i was born in townhead in 1952 along with my 3 brothers and sister we stayed at 68 rottenrow in a flat with one bedroom /kitchen ,the house situated across from the auld mans home we called it was a former shop the room was massive and an outside toilet shared by all in the close the families helped each other out in those days, my mum made a huge pot cabbage and ham rib soup and the welshes next door would get theirs too,we went to toonheid primary then onto city public secondary before moving to dennistoun in the early sixties , but i always loved the townhead where all our friends and other relations stayed at morrin square- weaver street- taylor street -collins street -cathedral street-george street ,tarbert street,balmano brae ,i can remember the families called - welshes -careys- stuarts- samsons-mclagans-coyles-baxsters-mckays-campbells-to name a few we went to the boy scouts and boys brigade at the barony church i always remembered CAPTAIN TAYLOR a really fine man but sadly the townhead i knew is no more although my mum still stays at cathedral street all the rest has been demolished to make way for mostly foreign students in the residential halls and universities now there ,how sad is that our way of life in glasgow and old traditions are dying by the second to people who will leave as soon as they get their education completed.

Hi John , my name is Ron Williams I was born at 68 rottenrow in 1947 and lived directly above you until 1962 when we moved to Australia. You used to play with my younger brother Gordon. I also was in the bb's and i remember Captain Taylor well. I've been back many a time but the only
person I ever caught up with was Margaret Mcneil who's dad had the newsagent shop in catheral square
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.