Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Townhead
Rating 4 V
Maggie50
post 30th Jul 2012, 04:28am
Post #61

Settling In
Member No.: 6,020
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 19th Jun 2012, 02:27pm) *
Hi Jim, your right it was Sadie and Jimmy. I thought there was a daughter but wasnt to sure, sorry to hear about Bobby and Pat I wonder if my brother knows he still lives in the Toonheid.
Cant remember who Maisie was now but she must have been one of the group of mothers who stood at the closes talking.

[size="3"][/size] Hi guys!!! I've been on before so I hope I'm doing this properly and I'm here at this time coz I work constant nightshift in Glasgow Royal. Anyhoo!! auld toonheid still means loads to me sometimes of course I wish it didn't because it can make me a bit maudlin about it and I too get pissed off thinking they could have saved some of it but heyho!! The family you guys are talking about from 3 Black St were THE MOIRS and if they are the same ones who helped to manage THE GAY GORDON then I've just been to the funeral of the last of the men and it only leaves a Mgt Chugg if you remember her. Now they are much older than me, Iwas born 1951 and remained in 50 Mc Aslin St until chucked out in 1967 BOOHOO!! Family name Mc Manus, 2 brothers Michael and James aka Mick and a sister Eileen. All went to St Mungo's boys played footie and running about the place were the Burns, Byrnes Donnellys. My auntie Jessie Broon worked in the Grafton wi BIG ANNIE ROY who also came from Mc Aslin St. Johnny Blair and Fanny Blair 2 great shops furr sweeties, 3d drinks( my kids & grandkids have the horrors at just the thought of drinking out of other people's scabby chipped cups) and swapping yurr comics oan a Saturday. Noo!! ye see wit happens when ah start tae wander back ah start in wi the vernacular and ah sound like ahm a hunner year auld, och bugger it!! it's good eh??

--------------------
mc manus34
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 30th Jul 2012, 08:26am
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Maggie50 @ 30th Jul 2012, 06:43am) *
[size="3"][/size] Hi guys!!! I've been on before so I hope I'm doing this properly and I'm here at this time coz I work constant nightshift in Glasgow Royal. Anyhoo!! auld toonheid still means loads to me sometimes of course I wish it didn't because it can make me a bit maudlin about it and I too get pissed off thinking they could have saved some of it but heyho!! The family you guys are talking about from 3 Black St were THE MOIRS and if they are the same ones who helped to manage THE GAY GORDON then I've just been to the funeral of the last of the men and it only leaves a Mgt Chugg if you remember her. Now they are much older than me, Iwas born 1951 and remained in 50 Mc Aslin St until chucked out in 1967 BOOHOO!! Family name Mc Manus, 2 brothers Michael and James aka Mick and a sister Eileen. All went to St Mungo's boys played footie and running about the place were the Burns, Byrnes Donnellys. My auntie Jessie Broon worked in the Grafton wi BIG ANNIE ROY who also came from Mc Aslin St. Johnny Blair and Fanny Blair 2 great shops furr sweeties, 3d drinks( my kids & grandkids have the horrors at just the thought of drinking out of other people's scabby chipped cups) and swapping yurr comics oan a Saturday. Noo!! ye see wit happens when ah start tae wander back ah start in wi the vernacular and ah sound like ahm a hunner year auld, och bugger it!! it's good eh??

I remember a Margaret from the GAY GORDON and also a Betty if memory seves me right in the mid 60's they would have been late 20's early 30's but its so long ago, the Burns's from Kyle st had cousins living in Ronald st as far as I can remember.
My favourite shop for sweeties going to school was the wee newsagents next to the pawn shop in Mc aslin st started at St Mungoes Infants in 1951 on to the primary before finishing up at the Roch.
Living in Black st when we decided to come to SA

+Quote Post
weelew
post 30th Jul 2012, 06:14pm
Post #63

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
Johnny Blair ,used to make his own ice lollies from strong blackcurrant and strawberry juice .They were a penny each and were great .

+Quote Post
weelew
post 30th Jul 2012, 06:27pm
Post #64

City Key Holder
I remember my mother sending me to Johnny Blairs one night with a shilling to get some sweets for me and my brother and half way up Glebe street this big boy took the money from me ,i was about eight at the time .My mother run up the road and caught him ,in the Parley road and got the money back and slapped his ear .The boy was just about to go up his close when his mother looked out the window and seen my mother hitting her son .She came running down the stair and the two women got into a real ruck .The police came and separated them and asked what the problem was ,when my mother told him the boys mother grabbed him and slapped him about the head two or three times ,then the polis booted his erse up the close .

+Quote Post
Maggie50
post 30th Jul 2012, 10:48pm
Post #65

Settling In
Another great wee sweetie shop was ' Molly's ' on St Mungo St next to Gilliland's pub or Doyle's who had the mammy wi the red hair and the daughter Ella with the platinum blond hair,' a couple a warmers ' I might add. If you then went to St Mungo's boy's primary in Glebe St, then right next door was Grant's she had unlike Blair's sweeties in boxes she had them in BIG JARS and latterly when I was about 12 I didn't have the patience for her coz it took about 5 mins tae shoogle oot 2oz of 1jap desserts and that's a lifetime tae a 12yr old Aye them wiz the days eh??

--------------------
mc manus34

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 31st Jul 2012, 09:10am
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
Spoke to my brother on Skype Sunday night he still lives in Toonheid basically on the old Parly road although he says its just a footpath now starting at Glebe st down to Sauchiehall st.

He was telling me there are only 2 or 3 shops there now, when you think back to the time Parly rd was a major shopping area its sad what happened

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 31st Jul 2012, 12:01pm
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
My granny lived at 2 Black street and a walk along the Parly road was a daily outing.She knew all the local shop keepers, and the knew her.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
weelew
post 31st Jul 2012, 12:50pm
Post #68

City Key Holder
We lived in Stirling road and we would go shopping up the Parley road also with my Mother ,Granny and aunties who all stayed in the Townhead ,it was great .We stayed right next to the Salvation Army hall ,which was later used as the Townhead tenants associationand was still there for years after the houses were pulled down around about it ,don't know if it is still there .My granny was the caretaker when it was the Salvation Army and we would go in and play underneath in the cellar ,The hall had long wooden benches which we would slide along and one time i got a skelf about four inches right up my bahookie .It was just around the corner from the Royal so my granny whisked me there and they removed it amid plenty of screaming .

+Quote Post
Maggie50
post 31st Jul 2012, 10:14pm
Post #69

Settling In
yes.gif [size="2"][/size] If you stayed up the ' Sally-Ann ' close in the 50/60's then you might remember The Hamiltons Thomas, Patsie Sadie and a couple more I think they were rough as a brush eh?? The Byrnes round in Glebe St Big Francie,James,Pat and 3 or 4 more. A family called Wilson he was red hot orange and an uncle of Mary Roseman who lived up the srairs from us. The Wilsons you might not remember they were very much 'up their own a.... 'and not very well liked by the locals. Dalziel's bakery hmmm!!! my pal's granny used to feed us aw the broken biscuits, jammy eiffel towers, rock buns wi coconut and FAB fairy cakes wi loads of icing Och here!! I'll need to call a halt, ma mooth is starting to watter. As I said family name Mc Manus from Mc Aslin St. behind the chapel. dye think this gaun back does us any good guys coz ahm getting a 'tad sad' christ oan a bike!!! can ye imagine coming oot wi that in the Toonheid. Aw just remembered!!!The Dixons or Dicksons fae up that close noo wis that the close next tae the pub?? anyhoo!! hairy merry ( Mary ) wis giving it pelters wi 'Auld Lang Syne' or some such crap when Dickson snr bawled oot the windae " haw merry that singing's bringing tears tae the arse o' ma working troosers. Man!! memories eh?? yes.gif

--------------------
mc manus34

+Quote Post
weelew
post 18th May 2013, 09:06pm
Post #70

City Key Holder
QUOTE (Maggie50 @ 31st Jul 2012, 11:31pm) *
yes.gif [size="2"][/size] If you stayed up the ' Sally-Ann ' close in the 50/60's then you might remember The Hamiltons Thomas, Patsie Sadie and a couple more I think they were rough as a brush eh?? The Byrnes round in Glebe St Big Francie,James,Pat and 3 or 4 more. A family called Wilson he was red hot orange and an uncle of Mary Roseman who lived up the srairs from us. The Wilsons you might not remember they were very much 'up their own a.... 'and not very well liked by the locals. Dalziel's bakery hmmm!!! my pal's granny used to feed us aw the broken biscuits, jammy eiffel towers, rock buns wi coconut and FAB fairy cakes wi loads of icing Och here!! I'll need to call a halt, ma mooth is starting to watter. As I said family name Mc Manus from Mc Aslin St. behind the chapel. dye think this gaun back does us any good guys coz ahm getting a 'tad sad' christ oan a bike!!! can ye imagine coming oot wi that in the Toonheid. Aw just remembered!!!The Dixons or Dicksons fae up that close noo wis that the close next tae the pub?? anyhoo!! hairy merry ( Mary ) wis giving it pelters wi 'Auld Lang Syne' or some such crap when Dickson snr bawled oot the windae " haw merry that singing's bringing tears tae the arse o' ma working troosers. Man!! memories eh?? yes.gif

Posts like this is a perfect example as to why people should not talk about others on sites like these, as there is always someone who will take offence. The Wilsons you refer to up the same close was my granny .My mother was a Wilson and yes indeed the he you also refer to ,my uncle John as all his brothers were all Orange men ,My grandfather had passed away before then . The Hamilton's on the top story and the Dickson's second story straight across the landing from us and My Mother delivered most of the Dickson Children one of whom stays where I now am, in Rothesay . Mary Roseman is indeed my cousin and the Wilsons were never up their own ar** as no one was up that close in those days and they were well liked and known in the Townhead. Others up the close were Mrs Lower and Dougie Atkins who was a porter in the Royal Infirmary

+Quote Post
Onyir
post 3rd Jul 2014, 10:26pm
Post #71

Visitor
Member No.: 8,800
Hi, I have put together a collection of photographs from the Townhead during the 1960s relating to a book I have recently published called Parly Road.

To see the photos that relate to the story, check out

https://www.facebook.com/theglasgowchronicles

If you're interested in the book, there's a link on the Facebook page that will take you to the book on Amazon where you can read the first few chapters without having to download the book.

Thanks, Ian Todd.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 27th Feb 2018, 09:49am
Post #72

Mega City Key Holder
Photo taken from what we called 'Wurdies. as a wean showing in the foreground the railway sleeper wall that was supposed to keep us out of the marshalling yard (nae chance)
A steam train coming out of the 'mile long tunnel.
At the top of the photo is the Cuddies Park showing the Cup and Saucer

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 27th Feb 2018, 09:57am
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
Photo showing Dundas st marshalling yard during the destruction sorry modernisation of the Toonhied. Mile long tunnel entrance at far end.
Cuddies Park at top.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 27th Feb 2018, 10:08am
Post #74

Mega City Key Holder
Monklands Canal next to where the old Flemings steel works used to be.
Other bank is Fasers sawmill with Baird st the main entrance to the sawmill
The old Garngadhill or Roystonhill steeple in the background

Attached Image

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.