Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

71 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maryhill
Rating 5 V
Cameron
post 4th Aug 2003, 07:47pm
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
Hi Tom I think Maryhill cross was at Maryhill rd and the Butnay Brae. There is a story about the Butnay and the canal .That back in the REAL old days ,they would bring the prisoners who were getting shiped to Australia/Botenay Bay to the canal and then take them down to the big ships down Dumbarton area and the story goes that over time Botenay got shorted down to Butnay,now i was told this by a reliable source but who knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
big al
post 8th Aug 2003, 04:38am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 42
Living in Maryhill at the top end - Park end - was wonderful when you were a kid - you had the Park and then Dawsholm Park and Bellcraig and the River and the Canal - then behind the park you had the marshes out to the Acre Road - fabulous place for a kid to grow up in - I lived in Duncruin Street so had easy access to all of this. At the Tram car depot end was the two pubs that got called the First and Last - going out of Maryhill was the Last - so called because it was exactly that - it became the Nag's Head at some point - the first one on the other side was at the corner of Duart Street and Maryhill road just facing the exit from the depot. The next road down heading into Maryhill was called Kilmun Street which led up to the Maryhill Harps ground at the end of it. There was a tremendous ice cream shop called, I think, The Falcon Cafe at one corner and French's the newsagent on the other - then came the Chapel - then Duncruin Street which had to be one of the steepest hills in Glasgow. On the corner of Duncruin Street was Garven's Pub - at the time it was owned by the McDaids - the son and I went to school together and I spent a lot of time in Garvens at an early age - as Catherine would day - That explains a lot then..... great days - ggod memories - St Mary's School was in Cumlodden Drive - the bottom end of it. I also remember very fondly Mazzoli's chip shop on Maryhill road - the Library which was how you imagine a libraray should always be and the Punchbowl - I spent many an afternoon in there in the early 60's when working up at Dawsholm Railway Depot and probably many a night too.....great pub

This post has been edited by big al: 8th Aug 2003, 04:41am

--------------------
That'll be the day........

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 8th Aug 2003, 08:45pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I went to St Marys school and my granny would stand at her window and wave to me as I headed home,some times she would raise the wndae a shout come on hen av got a wee hot bowl of soup here ,then off I would go cut through wan of the buildings head for the canal bridge, past the pre fab houses tae Guthrie Street .

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 9th Aug 2003, 01:43am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
An whodathunk aw these great people an their stories wid huv came oot a wee Maryhill ....Great readin guys wink.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Melody
post 9th Aug 2003, 12:39pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Hey Mags I was passing through Maryhill yesterday and was thinking about you at the time, did ye hear me shoutin' tae ye?
Actually passed Guthrie Street and the barracks, still there Mags. not much different.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 9th Aug 2003, 06:26pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Pass home that way many nights-the barracks are long gone in fact I don't ever remember them.There are some high rise flats they call the barracks so I suppose thats where they stood.Was it the HLI that was stationed there cos I think i remember an Uncle telling me about them.

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 9th Aug 2003, 07:32pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
A big love of ma life years ago lived in" the barracks" the housing estate you mention there Iain.
After three weeks of hearin him say to my family, aye, ah live in the barracks ah took him aside and said dae ye think wuv never lived in a boat hoose or somethin?.....Ah thoat he wis sayin BARRATT'S as in the Barrett housin builders laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 9th Aug 2003, 08:15pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
first Malody if you had stopped at 26 nd went to the first apt on left and said I know Margaert Rolland they wid have shut the door in yir face [only kiddin] but the girl who lives in it now,s Granny lived across the street ,then Scotslad it was the H.L.Ithat were stationed in the barraks,Princess Margaret was their leader? or whit ever ,one time she came to inspect them
maybe she wanted to make sure the had their drawers on as I heard cannae say it true that the soldiers berfore they left the barraks had to walk over a mirror to make sure they had them on .and it now is known as the Wynford Estates ,still the barraks to all who lived near them ,and you Mrs Canada when did you evr get things right ? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by GG: 4th Sep 2003, 06:33pm

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Melody
post 9th Aug 2003, 08:38pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Mags it was just of those times when I think that someone on the boards would love to be in a certain place just for a minute. Do you know what I mean, I looked up just at Guthrie Street and immediately thought Mags would love this. Just walking down your Memory Lane. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 9th Aug 2003, 08:59pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
thanks melody it was nice of you to have such nice thoughts ,I meant to add I have a print of the H.L.I it has place of honor in ma living room biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 10th Aug 2003, 12:19am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
hey there tom I landed here in the states in 1958,came to take care of kids ,Nanny as they are called these days met mike in a club where they played country and western music me and a couple of girls used to follow a band they were good,is that awright if so let me know biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by wee mags: 10th Aug 2003, 12:20am

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Tom
post 20th Aug 2003, 03:17pm
Post #27

Super Resident
Member No.: 65
Hi Wee Mags yiu havn't been very active on the board for a few days,has the blackout or is it the worm virus that has got you,anyway You may have seen my posting about the Maryhill road tenements have you any info on this if so let me kno
Tomw

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 21st Aug 2003, 03:00am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Tom I have been helping my church get set for a tag sale we have in Sept,right now we are getting donations of all sorts of things some go right into the dumpster,I get a kick out of the junk people bring ,and we are having some awful hot weather here ,and my daughter bought a house so wee mags wis there painting,HaHa noo theres a scene I am sorry I have not spoken to anyone about the Maryhill Rd yet when I do I will let you know,when I talk to my pal in Glasgow I will ask her to take some photos for me no making any promises but I will try okay Tom?

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
coocaddens lassi...
post 27th Aug 2003, 02:09pm
Post #29

Unpacking
Member No.: 178
Hello to valleyboy 3thanks for the message -was just talking to my sister in Glasgow Monday and were talking about the rerr time they hud in Mc Connells oan Sat. nite.Wee Brigette the migette was doin her thing wae the karioke.---------where are ye livin these days? I have been in the U.S. for 39 yrs. and am thinkin o, coming home for good .Canny wait. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 27th Aug 2003, 08:36pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Mags I missed out on this thread-yet again.there is so much info getting posted on here its hard to keep up with it.I thought I remembered correctly about the HLI and I defo remember my uncle telling me about the mirror inspection ohmy.gif but He was with the KOSB........Is that no degrading or what!!!!!!
I was out today along the Kelvin walkway on my bike took it along to the brand new Halfpenny bridge-do you have any ideas where that might be?I have some old pictures from a brilliant book by a Scots/American guy called Gordon Urquhart,he published a book here bout 3 years ago called the Great Western Road has some awsome pictures showing the barracks area years ago.......I just don't recognise any of it at all...

+Quote Post

71 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.