Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Job
celtic-chic67
post 7th Nov 2007, 02:19pm
Post #16

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,040
My first job was a yts in shieldhall industrial estate as a machinist
we made boiler suits for the m.o.d I remember when we started
making shrouds ,I didnae know wit they were, but nearly died when
I found out laugh.gif use tae give me the creeps
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 7th Nov 2007, 05:54pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
From the age of 13yrs I worked 2 jobs one was a waitress at the wimpy burger joint in union st beside central station 3 nights a week the other was doon the Barras every sat & sun where I was the wann that biled yer mussells whelks etc then pit thum intae jars & broon bags was sick as a dog every weekend withoot fail hated the smell never got a break nor to the toilet in a 8hr day EEK! used tae earn 4 pounds in the wimpy & 8 pounds in the Barras.Thereafter leaving school my first adult job was to become a shopping assistant for The central remnant warehouse in Jamaica street for 15 quid a week. rolleyes.gif hated it passionately but it got me tae the dancing 4 nights a week.had a part time voluntary job at stobhill where it ended up me getting offered a job so ended up becoming an nurses aid earning a salary of over 120 quid a month was spilte efter that. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 7th Nov 2007, 11:06pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Started work at 15 in 1958 as office junior in Duncan Low Ltd an Engineering Firm iwho made immersion heaters in Trossachs Street, Maryhill. Wages 2.17/6d a week. Gave it tae ma ma and got 10/- pocket money, off of which ah hid tae pay ma fares tae work. It was 3d on the tram so ah used tae walk to save the 3d so as I could get into the lunchtime sessions at the Locarno on a Saturday [only cost 6d].

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 8th Nov 2007, 11:23pm
Post #19

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
Hi Lindamac , was Cornell Furs still open when u worked in Wimpey's ? I worked there for about the last year and a half that it was in business ,i was 19/20 at the time . We were right across from the stairs of Central station .The company that owned Cornell's had shops in France and some in England . They opened a shop in Argyle street that didn't last long , it sold leather jkts and lots of denim items .
We sold furs and leather jkts and coats . If they were still open , it is possible we knew or seen each other , wouldn't that be weird? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 8th Nov 2007, 11:24pm
Post #20

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
Name of Argyle shop was Jumpin Jack Flash laugh.gif

+Quote Post
No. 10 Girl
post 9th Nov 2007, 07:06pm
Post #21

Lord Provost
Member No.: 4,950
I got myself a Saturday job while still at school in What Every Woman Wants. At the time I could'nt understand why my Nana and Aunties laughed when my Mum said "Tell your Nana where your wee job is!" I can't remember the names of the couple who owned it, but they had a wee dog called Pepper who used to sneeze when you said " Chocolate " to him. See that's just typical of me forget people's names but no wee dugs names biggrin.gif

--------------------
Wisnae me!

+Quote Post
murn
post 10th Nov 2007, 04:42am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
My first job was in an accountants office on Union Street, did not last long, They told me in a polite way that accounting was not for me, yup they were right. But I did meet a great friend there.
Remember one morning at the copy machine our boss was trying to fill it up with paper and was getting frustrated, he said "it won't fit in" out of the blue my friend says' "that's no whit yee said last night. Don't know who hud the biggest reddy her or the boss, that's where I learned tae put foot in mouth tongue.gif tongue.gif
Canny remember much I earned never wis good way money or numbers, still no.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 2nd Jan 2008, 06:55am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
My first job was tailors cutter apprentice.West of Scotland Weatherproofs,on the Colston end of Springburn Road,I was 15 at the time,I thought I died and went to Heaven.There were 200 women machinists,or seamstresses,and only 3 men.I used to walk around singing Bill Haley and the Comets song.Thirteen Women and only one man in Town.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 2nd Jan 2008, 07:34am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
My first job was J.P. Gilmour Chemists in Cathcart Rd. 1.2.6p. per week. Had to gige my Dad 1 for my keep. Half crown, was on my own can, fortunately was close to home so no tram fares, rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 2nd Jan 2008, 09:20pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,442
Left school whilst still (officially) 14 cos my birthday was in July (fair fortnight).
Had a milk boy round for a while and got about 4 - 5 quid a week from the milkman depending on the weather! The worse it was, the more I got paid - up at 5 o/clock though.

Then joined the Army at 15 and had 10/- one week 1 the next and the rest (compulsory) saved for me until holiday (leave) breaks, when we got a lump sum ... was helluva rich with loadsa dosh to take home and treated my folks & mates big time (in my then opinion) ... (wish I'd bought a hoose though).

The first (ish) wage slip, I have still, shows 78 per month (after all stoppages) ... dry.gif Probably what the milk boy gets (weekly) now I guess? cool.gif

--------------------
If u canny fix it wi a hammer - It's an electrical problem!

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 1st Dec 2008, 04:54pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
First job was a butchers apprentice with the Renfrew Co-op Society Ltd. Wages were 2.2 shillings a 51 hour week. Plus free use of a big bike with a basket on the front! I loved the job.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.