Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cold Case Files, "Bible John"
carmella
post 19th Oct 2005, 10:02am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I was interested recently to read that the Unresolved Cases Unit of Strathclyde Police which includes the city of Glasgow, will be using modern techniques, including that of DNA to try to solve cold cases. Their specific responsibility goes back to 1975, but they can also re-open older cases.

Many will remember the notorious “Bible John” murders for which no-one was ever arrested, when in the period between 1968 and ’69 three women who were picked up in the Barrowland Ballroom were brutally murdered, it was reported at the time, he got his nickname because the women were last seen talking to a man who quoted verses from the bible.

I have often been curious about this particular case, since the murders suddenly stopped. What became of him?

I think it will be extremely interesting to see if the police can at last put a name to this man, but only time will tell.

As we all know, with the advent of DNA techniques, many murderers have been brought to book, many years after they committed their crimes.

DNA, it should be added, can also prove innocence and has many advantages. I think this is one of the best 'discoveries' in crime detection of the modern era!

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jimmy Lee
post 19th Oct 2005, 11:26am
Post #2

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,353
Carmella

No one really knows about the Bible John mystery.

If he was a seriel killer it is strange behaviour to suddenly stop. So he may have died.

A few years ago Police exhumed a body in Lanarkshire I believe to check the DNA...but I dont think it was conclusive.

I remember the true story about a guy who went into a barbers just off Dumbarton Rd in Partick Glasgow in the late sixties/early seventies and asked for a short back and sides.

The barber cut his hair as he requested ...then as all barbers do held a mirror up to his head seeking his customers approval...

The customer was upset at what he saw and commented "Christ..I look like Bible John!" (a photofit had been printed on all the front pages of the press)

The barber remained calm and went into the backshop - within minutes the police had arrived.

I suppose it was nearly a case of Hair today...Gone tomorrow...

JJ

+Quote Post
carmella
post 19th Oct 2005, 01:59pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
A good story Jimmy.

I remember when that body was exhumed and proved not to be the man in question.

You are quite correct to mention that if he was a serial killer it is strange that he stopped.

It could be he didn't stop, we don't know who he was, therefore it is safe to assume several things could have happened. It could be that he was working in what may have been termed a mobile occupation, i.e. the forces, the civil service etc. It may also be that he left the country to live abroad as so many people did then.

It could also be that he simply stopped because he died. There has always been specualtion about him, even that he may still be alive and has been protected by family since then - but I do feel that if this was the case, that situation would have surfaced by now.

I have been very interested in this case for many years.

It would be terrific to know the true identity of Bible John, but we may never know.

I wish the police good luck in their efforts, and it is also good for the victims' families that they have not been forgotten.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 19th Oct 2005, 03:48pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
I bet sombody murdered him he probable got fed to the lions at caulder park zoo with a wee bit of luck mad.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
glasgowguerilla
post 15th Jan 2006, 06:18am
Post #5

Resident
Member No.: 2,837
ah often wondered about bible john ..i grew up in the that time in glasgow ..but i alwaqys thought it was a mytrh no one ever was caughjt were they ?.......i tried to research it in glasgow but i remeber the whole thing about the barrowland ..anyways it is good to hear that other pepple thought that it was amyth too although i am not sure ....

+Quote Post
AndyR1
post 22nd Oct 2006, 02:15pm
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 3,402
The Bible John killings were used by some parents to get their kids to behave and they told us if we didn't behave then Bible john would come and get us . years later I got interested in the case and have read a lot about it and others. the police at the time thought that there where two killers but kept it quiet. the case is still an active file today and as has been said the advance of DNA will help the case as there was DNA left behind by the killer. The chances are that he was arrested for someother crime and was jailed for it and maybe found to be of unsound mind and detained under the insane act as it is true the serial killers don't just stop but there are instances of them having a long period between murders so who knows. wink.gif

+Quote Post
marina
post 22nd Oct 2006, 06:27pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
lets just hope he doesnt strike again then, i got shivers doon my spine there, did they not recently dig up the grave of a man named innes or mcinnes? maybe im wrong and thinking of something else, but im sure there was an artists impression of him as well

--------------------
Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 22nd Oct 2006, 07:35pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
they reconed he might have been in the army oh he used to quote things and wrote bits doon on a fag paket if a remember am sure a was always a bit nervous if a was out and coming hame at 11pm when 18 my da would be waiting at the bus stop as a would say what bus a was catching but he did exist forsure mad.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 23rd Oct 2006, 03:25am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
I Believe Bible john did exist,wasnt one of his murders done in springburn?ma mammy used tae say she thouht it was 1 of ma dads mates,she told us of a man named Alistair that would get oan the booze wi dad & she was always terrafied wen dad brought him home as he was always quoting scriptures and talking of the biblical woman of proverbs.Mammy said he was a suspect who had been taken in tae cops shop fur questioning???spooky in too many ways that is.A wis only wee at the time but yes oor older sibblings were often telt watch & mind Bible Johns no caught yit! wink.gif huh.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
*Someone*
post 30th Mar 2007, 04:43pm
Post #10

Maybe he just decided to stop. Is it that unbelievable to think that he possibly changed his mind, i mean to have the mind set to kill people in the way he did and the possibility that he did start out of the blue, maybe he stopped. Maybe he found something or someone else that diverted he homicidal tendencies. I mean it would be interesting to get a fresh psychological profile done for the case. I would be interested to find out if someone capable of killing without a second thought for consequences, could also decide to not kill?

Hope someone gives a view on this.

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 15th May 2007, 12:02pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
Dunkey might be interested in seeing this auld cold case topic eh cheers Dunkey. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
iancameron
post 15th May 2007, 12:11pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 463
There was a police artist impression of him Marina.

+Quote Post
Mahegradon
post 24th Jul 2007, 04:11am
Post #13

Visitor
Member No.: 4,827
The most obvious thing about Bible John's appearance was the short, neat hairstyle. Pretty unusual in the late sixties. Only the polis and servicemen had short hair.
A few people at the time thought that he might have been in the navy, stationed on the Clyde.
Then, if he was posted overseas he would seemingly have vanished suddenly from the scene.

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 27th Jul 2007, 09:22pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Just read on the BBC on line site, that Peter Tobin is now in the hospital, due to having a Heart Attack,
So now does that mean he'll finish his time in comfort?

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
J.McInally
post 27th Jul 2007, 11:18pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,198
QUOTE (Lennox @ 27th Jul 2007, 10:39 PM) *
Just read on the BBC on line site, that Peter Tobin is now in the hospital, due to having a Heart Attack,
So now does that mean he'll finish his time in comfort?

Hopefully in a coffin and then we will have the comfort of knowing that he won't be around to do any more damage.

Hi ! wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.