Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Picking Up Pennies, Why do you do it?
jakka13
post 20th Sep 2005, 07:18pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,815
I have always picked up pennies because of the old saying "see a penny pick it up and all that day you'll have good luck" As the years have gone by sometimes these old bones don't want to bend down anymore so I leave them .A few weeks ago I read an article in a magazine about two sisters who had lost their Dad some years earlier and now lived on a long way apart from each other .Their Mother had a stroke and each sister was rushing to be by her side .On the way to the airport they were both thinking and praying to their Dad to be with her .Each of them found a penny and their belief was a penny in the street was a sign from an angel letting you know they were near . They met at the hospital and related the story of finding the pennies When they got in to see their Mother they found her resting and doing very well . Now no matter how tired my old bones get or how sore my back is I'll never pass a penny in the street again. wub.gif

--------------------
Auld but Still Game.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 21st Sep 2005, 03:24pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
jakka, interesting post. I remember when I was a child in Glasgow that a penny had value. Try to think what you could have bought with a penny in those days. I start off with 12 spearmint bouncers, six jaw breaking toffee balls, especially the kind with coconut. Maybe the best value was a penny ride on the tramcars. I always pick up an American penny.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 21st Sep 2005, 04:52pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
How about the big penny caramel

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Riddrieperson
post 22nd Sep 2005, 05:05pm
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 799
Me? ,I pick them up because I need them to help pay my bills. tongue.gif

--------------------
Kenny :)

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 23rd Sep 2005, 02:54am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
Good one Jakka. Your article was interesting.

I use the same saying too, I even use it when I find pins as I never remember what one its for, pennie or pins.

Dont you just love it when you find money,...well let me tell you a story,...

One night I was in a bar and it was my shout and I thought to my self,...this is getting exspensive,....next thing Im looking at the floor and I see this peice of paper down there,.. I looked then looked again and questioned my friends is that money,!!! we all looked at each other and they said doubt it,... so me being me doesnt care groveling a wee bit on the floor for that reason,..I picks it up and low and behold its a $50 folded up.......bargain!!!! Did I no hand it in,....never a was in a real posh bar for the rich,....cheeky (oh well).

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 23rd Sep 2005, 03:01pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
a found a half a crown in chapel and a spent it god did a feel guilty a thought i would be struck by lightning or even worse sent tae rosies home or hell laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 26th Sep 2005, 05:43pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
Stuarty
What do you know about Rosie's Home ?

Never been in it

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 27th Sep 2005, 09:32am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
QUOTE (big tommy @ 26th Sep 2005, 07:00 PM)
Stuarty
What do you know about Rosie's Home ?

Never been in it

Tommy

if i did anything bad big tommy ma mammy ire daddy said They wouls send me to rosies home why did you know rosies home then? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
leeninaus
post 27th Sep 2005, 11:52am
Post #9

City Key Holder
Member No.: 191
I had been taught... see a silver sixpence pick it up etc.. But, when I lived in Iraq in the late 60's an old lady I happened to befriend told me ( after me picking up a silver coin 1 day & reciting to her my Father's superstition ) that it works for any coin! and you should place that coin in a secret little place as your treasure chest.. frequently add to this little trove, and look on it often with admiration & your wealth will grow! For years I did this. I also used to empty my purse of coins every night, which surprisingly used to mount up. One year when I thought I had better cash them all in I actually needed to take them in one of those pull-along shopping trolleys! The teller was not impressed! BUT, out of that I can tell you I had a great holiday! So, as the saying also goes... Look after the pennies & the pounds will look after themselves!
If you so happen to find a coin! hang onto it & make it work for you!! Make it GROW!

+Quote Post
Heather
post 5th Jun 2009, 12:40am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember the best time to pick up pennies was when someone was getting married, there would be a 'scramble'. The groom or the bride's dad would throw a handful of money out the car.

When we were out playing the shout would go up,' a wedding, a wedding', then dozens of children would appear out of nowhere and stand by the car until it was leaving, the money would be thrown out then the scramble would start, with everyone pushing and shoving to get some money.
After the scramble we would all check with each other to see who got the most, and sometimes some lucky one would brag about getting a brass thrupenny. Then we would all go to the nearest sweet shop and spend our lucky money. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 5th Jun 2009, 01:22am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
QUOTE (Isobel @ 22nd Sep 2005, 03:21am) *
How about the big penny caramel

Emmm! what was is called again? rolleyes.gif

Nice post Jakka, just seen this topic.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 26th Aug 2012, 01:48pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Penny Dainty! A big lump of toffee wrapped in a greentartan waxed paper, seems to last for hours. In my memory they were avout 1/4 inch thick, an inch wide and two inches long.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 26th Aug 2012, 02:12pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I heard a story years ago that nasty people would heat up a few pennies on the fire then toss them out the tenement window for the backcourt singers.
Anyone heard this?

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 26th Aug 2012, 04:59pm
Post #14

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 26th Aug 2012, 03:27pm) *
I heard a story years ago that nasty people would heat up a few pennies on the fire then toss them out the tenement window for the backcourt singers.
Anyone heard this?

Yes, back in the day when all backyard "singers" were not the best, one way of getting rid of them was to heat up a couple of halfpennies & throw them out the window to (at) them. laugh.gif
Not that me or any of my pals would do such a thing. wub.gif

+Quote Post
angel
post 26th Aug 2012, 05:06pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

Hi Joops , I have heard of this , but that'a about it , " sicko's ":

however , should you find a penny and put it in your shoe
that brings good luck . unsure.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.