Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

187 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 1 V
JAGZ1876
post 13th Jun 2015, 11:39am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 13th Jun 2015, 11:36am) *
all Scots should be entitled to vote in the referendum.

All Scots who are eligible to vote will be entitled to vote in an EU referendum Betsy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 13th Jun 2015, 12:28pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
...but if the RUK vote out and we vote in aren't we back to where we started?

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 13th Jun 2015, 11:01pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 13th Jun 2015, 09:13am) *
IRT Kem

What they've got to lose is their credibility, campaign on one thing and do a complete U turn within weeks is best left to other parties.

I never said anything about the people in Scotland being against a EU referendum or not.

I meant (as you well know) what have they got to lose by engaging in the referendum? Why have the policy in the first place?

By constantly reminding me of the policy's place in the election manifesto, aren't you implying that the Party is giving its voters what they want? If not - it would be awfully presumptuous of you, not to mention daft* - then quit avoiding the above question with a non-answer.

* I can think of only one policy that could safely be said to command the widespread support of SNP voters

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 14th Jun 2015, 08:39am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701

"Britain’s farmers often complain bitterly about the bureaucratic nightmare that is the common agricultural policy. But up and down the country it is the possibility that the UK might leave the EU – the source of their hefty subsidies and abundant seasonal labour from eastern Europe – that is keeping many of them awake at night.

“It is terrifying,” says David Long, who farms near Rochester in Kent. “Terrifying in several different ways.”

Long, a leading light in the National Farmers’ Union (NFU), tends 1,500 acres, many of which are given over to strawberries and pears. He uses the latest technology to boost production where he can, but he needs human hands to pick and pack his fruit, and the only place he can find them is in eastern Europe. Now, as the strawberries ripen, he is employing 65 eastern Europeans, mainly from Romania and Bulgaria.

“It is not easy to find British people to do it,” he says. “The eastern Europeans are brilliant workers. If we were not able to employ them because the rules were tightened, or because we left the EU, it is difficult to see how we could operate.”

That is just part of the worry. The other fear that farmers such as Long have is the loss of their subsidies if the UK was no longer part of the CAP.

Gone, suddenly, would be the cheques from Brussels that make up most of their income. In 2012 CAP money accounted for 68% of this country’s total farming income. “Without the CAP, British farmers would be bust,” he says. In a recent submission to the government , the NFU said: “For many farmers CAP support remains incredibly significant"

Please note:
"It is no cheaper to employ eastern Europeans than British workers. It is just that they are there and are willing. They are crucial to the rural economy. His strawberry pickers, like Flori Balace, 26, from Romania, who is working on the farm with her husband and sister and says she can earn £500 a week in peak season, are content in their work. “I enjoy it here,” she says. “The life is good and the money is good. I want to use the money to buy a big house back home.”"

If the costs to the farmer to up then you'll probably be paying £10 for a punnet of stawberries!

Interesting comment from Glasgow lady, Sandra Forrester.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 14th Jun 2015, 08:41am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 13th Jun 2015, 11:09pm) *
I meant (as you well know) what have they got to lose by engaging in the referendum? Why have the policy in the first place?

Kem i have absolutely no idea what you mean half the time as you flip flop through your posts.
Who said they wont be engaging, they are a pro EU party who will argue that the UK should remeain in the EU.
Why have the policy in the first place?....Wow i feel like i'm talking to an 8 year old about politics, if you truly dont get democratic parties then i feel the tax payers hard work was wasted putting you through your 'free' higher education.

By constantly reminding me of the policy's place in the election manifesto, aren't you implying that the Party is giving its voters what they want? If not - it would be awfully presumptuous of you, not to mention daft* - then quit avoiding the above question with a non-answer.

* I can think of only one policy that could safely be said to command the widespread support of SNP voters

Kem there is no 'implying' at all in my post, you are just reading what you want to see because yet again you really dont have a point other that trying to discredit the SNP.
You dont support the SNP, you are not a member of the SNP but you seem to have this chip on your shoulder when they do what they said they would do. Around 50% of voters backed the SNP at the election(twice as many as it's nearest 'rival') yet here we have a LibDem voter annoyed with how the party voted in Westminster, weren't the LibDems against an In-out referendum, how did they vote in Westminster?

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 14th Jun 2015, 08:39pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 14th Jun 2015, 09:49am) *
Who said they wont be engaging, they are a pro EU party who will argue that the UK should remeain in the EU.

Why have the policy in the first place?....Wow i feel like i'm talking to an 8 year old about politics, if you truly dont get democratic parties then i feel the tax payers hard work was wasted putting you through your 'free' higher education.

... weren't the LibDems against an In-out referendum, how did they vote in Westminster?

They will have to engage, but against their will.

Another complete non-answer.

The SNP stood alone, like rebels without a cause.

...Why won't you debate this point, since, to disagree with the policy yourself, you must have given it some thought?? You have strangely contributed nothing to this debate so far, other than to robotically repeat your manifesto point and to deride me for having such a nerve as to pose the question, which you are refusing to discuss. eyebrow.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 14th Jun 2015, 08:43pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder

Discuss what exactly, we are having a referendum because the Tories promised one in their manifesto, the SNP had it in their manifesto they would vote against it but they were outnumbered. What on earth is to discuss?

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 14th Jun 2015, 08:56pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
What's to discuss, you ask???

Just the prospect of the UK leaving the EU!!!

(Oh, and the policy of our MPs to vote against having a referendum. ohmy.gif)

Your only response seems to say that if it's in the manifesto, it's not up for debate.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 14th Jun 2015, 09:19pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder

Then discuss the prospect of the UK leaving. Do you see anyone else bothered that a party whose manifesto stated they were against a EU referendum did what they said they would do ? I'm more concerned that parties who were against it about turned and voted for it, they effectively lied to the people who voted for them.
It's a free forum so feel free to discuss with yourself that a party you're neither a member of or voted for did what they said they would do. We're getting a referendum but you're still not happy because the SNP dont agree with your views.
Will you be on here bitching when they vote against further cuts to public spending or against trident renewal?

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 14th Jun 2015, 10:07pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 14th Jun 2015, 10:27pm) *
Then discuss the prospect of the UK leaving.

'But don't dare discuss the SNP policy!', you say.

All in good time. The SNP are still in the process of opposing the Bill, as it inevitably becomes law.

Heroic act, or futile gesture? A matter of principle, or game of tactics?

I'm not asking why carry out their manifesto pledge, I'm really, really not.

I'm asking: Why rebel? Because... huh.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 14th Jun 2015, 10:15pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 14th Jun 2015, 10:51pm) *
Discuss what exactly, we are having a referendum because the Tories promised one in their manifesto, the SNP had it in their manifesto they would vote against it but they were outnumbered. What on earth is to discuss?

John, You must know by now, as most of us do, that Kemedian has the logic of an over-fried tottie scone.

I have set my preference to ignore his gibberish, but unfortunately I still have to suffer, when you quote him.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 14th Jun 2015, 10:17pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 14th Jun 2015, 11:23pm) *
John, You must know by now, as most of us do, that Kemedian has the logic of an over-fried tottie scone.

Or perhaps, just a differing point of view. ohmy.gif

What's yours?

+Quote Post
wombat
post 14th Jun 2015, 10:42pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 14th Jun 2015, 10:23pm) *
I have set my preference to ignore his gibberish, but unfortunately I still have to suffer, when you quote him.

tongue.gif me no sayin nuttin tongue.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 15th Jun 2015, 07:43pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Alex Salmond, SNP foreign affairs spokesman @ 1st June, 2015)
It is essential we have a distinctly strong Scottish voice in the EU referendum – and that is exactly what the SNP will bring – a campaign that focuses on a positive agenda about Scotland’s role and place in the EU.

Then why vote against it, 10 days later?

Can anyone help John explain that pointless policy decision?

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 15th Jun 2015, 09:04pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 14th Jun 2015, 10:23pm) *

I'll do my best to try to limit your exposure to his incoherent ramblings by not quoting anymore posts, starting right here in this thread. I think i made my point quite clear so i'll leave him to argue with himself, at least that way he's arguing with someone of similar intellect wink.gif

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post

187 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.