Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Location, Help
**Brian**
post 23rd Oct 2009, 03:03am
Post #31

QUOTE (hudggy @ 2nd Feb 2007, 11:46am) *
Hi glenafton,

Wigton Street was off Possil Road across from the old Oakbank Hospital and the Astoria Picture House I believe the other street next to it was Rodney Street. Infact my great granmother lived at 59 Wigton St when she was married in 1883 . I believe the street is still there but all the buildings were demolished in the late 1960s. It is just up from the Round Toll at Garscube Road on the right hand side as you walk up Possil Rd from the Toll. I have put a Google View of the area Wigton St was where the cars are parked in Rodney St name ends with canal runnig above.

Regards Huggy

My great grandfather, Robert Carrick, was born at 59 Wigton St in 1864. Seems to have been a hopping place. Seems my great grandfather would have been close to the age of your great grandmother!

tvlingthru@yahoo.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**Brian**
post 23rd Oct 2009, 03:06am
Post #32

QUOTE (Guest @ 8th May 2007, 11:28pm) *
I have interesting information regarding family members from Wigton Street. I have record of a great uncle who was born at 55 Wigton Street in 1917 and also his grandparents who lived aat 59 Wigton Street in 1927 - any connection to glenafton or hudggy?

From the states..... my great grandfather, Robert Carrick, was born at 59 Wigton St in 1864

+Quote Post
Mclaren328
post 17th Mar 2011, 03:26pm
Post #33

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,664
Hey, Glenafton..
My name is James Mclaren and have found on my great grandfathers birth certificate, that he was born at 55 Wigton Street,.... in 1864...They left for the states in 1873 and arrived in New York...I am a 4th Generation Scot...living here in New Jersey,....any chance we might be related......?

+Quote Post
*john morrison*
post 5th Apr 2011, 11:21pm
Post #34

hi,

my name is john morrison. i was born in wigton street in 1947. i have three sisters and two brother all born in wigton street.i had many aunts, uncles and cousins all in wigton street and rodney street. we left in 1957 but it was for me a fantastic place for a young adventurer to live. places i remember like the "jumps" (old flat roofed air raid shelters) the dunnys, granny cunningham, sanny purdon with his horses, dennises the sweet shop in rodney street and mcartneys shop in wigton street.

i could go on forever and only hope that the memories of a small boy are as accurate as i remember.

+Quote Post
Milocat
post 7th Sep 2011, 08:45am
Post #35

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,593
QUOTE (glenafton @ 2nd Feb 2007, 10:34am) *
I have discovered that my great great grandparents lived at 55,Wigton Street in Glasgow. I have tried to find this place on the maps of Glasgow available to me but with no success. Can someone tell me the location of Wigton Street and whether it still exists? This is to help me build a family tree for my grandchildren so any pictures of the area would be an added bonus.

Hello,

I have recently discovered this board via a Google search of the address 55 Wigton Street, Glasgow. My paternal grandfather was born at this address and I wondered if you could possibly provide any details regarding your relatives. I am also doing familly tree research. My grandfather was John Hugh McLeod Barclay.

+Quote Post
Milocat
post 7th Sep 2011, 08:51am
Post #36

Unpacking
QUOTE (Guest @ 8th May 2007, 11:15pm) *
I have interesting information regarding family members from Wigton Street. I have record of a great uncle who was born at 55 Wigton Street in 1917 and also his grandparents who lived aat 59 Wigton Street in 1927 - any connection to glenafton or hudggy?

Hello

Could you please provide any further info regarding the great uncle born at 55 Wigton Street? My paternal grandfather was born at this address in 1903. His name was John Hugh McLeod Barclay. I am doing family tree research and would really appreciate any information.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 7th Sep 2011, 09:11am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Welcome to the boards Milocat. You will see that the posts you have quoted were made over four years ago, it is possible neither of these people are still tuning in here. You may be fortunate and get a response from someone else though, here's hoping. Good luck with your search biggrin.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Milocat
post 7th Sep 2011, 04:21pm
Post #38

Unpacking
QUOTE (ashfield @ 7th Sep 2011, 09:57am) *
Welcome to the boards Milocat. You will see that the posts you have quoted were made over four years ago, it is possible neither of these people are still tuning in here. You may be fortunate and get a response from someone else though, here's hoping. Good luck with your search biggrin.gif

Hello and thank you for your reply and for the welcome. Much appreciated
I saw that they were quite old but was hoping that those who posted will check the board from time to time and I can be quite sporadic myself with the family tree research. As you say, someone else might take pity LOL

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 17th Sep 2011, 12:31am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (Milocat @ 7th Sep 2011, 06:07pm) *
Hello and thank you for your reply and for the welcome. Much appreciated
I saw that they were quite old but was hoping that those who posted will check the board from time to time and I can be quite sporadic myself with the family tree research. As you say, someone else might take pity LOL

You may find this web site interesting :

http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch/index.html

It may be a little too old (the area I grew up in in the '50s near Paisley Road Toll, Kinning Park, doesn't even seem to have been built yet), but these old maps are curiously fascinating.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
alba101
post 28th Oct 2012, 12:18am
Post #40

Unpacking
Member No.: 14,746
Hello,

My name is Anna Fraser and I am currently researching my ancestors. I have come across relatives from my maternal grandmother's family - namely James Muldoon and Ann McQuade.

I noticed that their address on the Scottish 1871 census was given as 55 Wigton Street, Glasgow and wondered if this has any connection to any of the families previously mentioned or possibly they were neighbours.

James and Ann had four children Patrick who married a Catherine Kane - Elizabeth married Martin Morrisey and emigrated to America, Sarah Ann married James McGowan and James married Martha Donelly.

Would be grateful to hear from anyone with any additional information or who has a connection.

+Quote Post
*Jeanette*
post 25th May 2017, 06:54pm
Post #41

Hello Geneafton, McLaren328, John Morrison, Milocat et al
I have recently found ancestors residing at 55 Wigton St in 1891 as well as some in Possil Road by the surname of WEIR. I am trying to track the family of my Grandfather known as Ross Stuart-Sutherland here in Australia, but DNA results appear to attach him to a Mary Weir family. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Jeanette

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.