Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

39 Pages V  « < 37 38 39  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did You Get The Belt At School?, How many, what for and did it work?
bilbo.s
post 8th May 2017, 10:17pm
Post #571

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Yes, I got the belt at school. It was sore. I didnae deserve it, honest! That's life!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wombat
post 8th May 2017, 10:29pm
Post #572

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 8th May 2017, 10:17pm) *
Yes, I got the belt at school. It was sore. I didnae deserve it, honest! That's life!

tongue.gif I got 12 wan day.fae the maths teacher,nice guy Da's pal fae the bools,

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 8th May 2017, 10:33pm
Post #573

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (GG @ 8th May 2017, 06:38pm) *
Back on topic here please.

GG.

tongue.gif urr whit? yiell gie us the belt? laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 4th Oct 2020, 03:37pm
Post #574

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
It has taken me ages to read through this post. It attracted me as someone who got the belt and someone who gave the belt.

I was a very good wee girl in school. I was clever and did everything that was asked of me. I think the teachers liked me but, one day in P4, the teacher told me to go out to the front of the class. I knew I was going to get the belt because the teacher had told us we would get the belt if our mental arithmetic exercise didn’t please her. Why was I going out to the front? I had put the book title “Functional Arithmetic” at the top, the exercise number, and I got full marks. There was a line of us being belted in turn. I dared ask the teacher why I was being belted (very brave of wee timid me!). She just said, “Look at your spelling.” Sure enough, I had missed out the first “n” in Functional. When I told my mum when I got home, she gave me a row for not checking my work.

In P7, we had written and learned the Table of Volume the previous week. Now, we were writing out the Table of Weight. The teacher was coming round and tapping you on the shoulder to go out to be belted if you had done something wrong. I was shocked to be tapped on the shoulder. Again, there was a line of us. When my turn came, I pulled my hands away on the first stroke, so terrified was I, so I got another. Going back to my seat crying, I looked and saw that I had written out the Table of Weight perfectly, but the title I had written was the Table of Volume. And again I was told off at home when I complained- “I told you. Check your work.”

As a P7 teacher, I had to learn how to belt children (I have never seen the guidelines posted at the beginning of this thread). I hated the idea of the belt but, teaching in Carbrain Primary in the 70s, the belt was the form of discipline favoured. I used to take my belt home at night and practise on the back of the settee. Whenever I had to use it in class, it was a handful of times and I was almost physically sick. I hated it. I left in 1981 to have my family and, by the time I got back in 1989, it had been banned. Thank goodness!

I thought the children would be unruly without a deterrent, but I must say I never missed the belt.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
taurus
post 4th Oct 2020, 08:33pm
Post #575

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
laughing at you belting the settee for practice. I got a lovely desk and chair for Christmas when I was about 7,so my only game from then on was sitting in the room at my desk,and BEING THE TEACHER !. Oh how I longed to be in charge. There was one girl in my class,a wee inoffensive girl,but I just didn`t like her,and we had an old leather strop,(my mum used it a bit on us ),and i nearly wrecked the paint on the desk,bashing it,and picturing the girl I detested. At that young age too,was a I a problem child,needing all sorts of psycho help ?,looking back I wonder. Where did that rage come from,from the bad example set by the teachers who were strap happy,and bullies ,that`s where.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 5th Oct 2020, 10:35am
Post #576

Super City Key Holder
The thing was, we didn’t think of the belt as abuse. It was just what happened. And when we were playing schools, we just did what we saw happening. Most children wanted to be our teacher and whatever the teacher did, we did. One parents’ night, one of the mums pretended to give me a row. She said she and Scott were in town and they had to cross the road. They stood at the pelican crossing. Scott pressed the button but there was a break in the traffic and Mum stepped on to the road to cross. Scott yelled, “No, Mum! My teacher said you have to wait for the Green Man.” Mum told me that she couldn’t do anything right. The teacher knew everything! 😆 She was laughing but I knew from my own 2 how really annoying that was!

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 5th Oct 2020, 07:42pm
Post #577

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
of course the teachers knew everything,they were on a higher plane than us from day one at school, and when we lined up in the playground after playtime,Miss Mc Intee,my teacher,held her CHINA cup in her hand,I took notice of that from a very early age,thinking of her in the staff room drinking tea (I loved tea from birth I think ),and this cup holding looked so special. And no,Sister Mary Clare didn`t wear knickers or go to the toilet,no matter how much my mum tried to convine me that she was ordinary like us. And she was a tryrant,as were all the teachers,the nuns ,don`t remembert the belt,but a nun could do more damage with her razor sharp tongue.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 13th Oct 2020, 10:08pm
Post #578

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
The ‘punishment’ I received most was not the belt. It was anything the teacher could lay their hands on to hit the back of my left hand. Yes, I was and still am left handed, but I write with my right hand.
At the age of five, I didn’t have too much to worry about, but after that it became stressful.

I still well remember the actions of the teacher when I first had a pencil in my hand. THUMP across the back of my left hand with any object she was holding. I honestly don’t remember how long it took for me to get the message, but I got it. Years later, believe it or not, I had a feeling of gratitude towards that teacher. In the days before digital technology it was a ‘right handed’ world.

On one occasion when I was in London many years later, I came across a shop which sold many items, which were for left handed people.

During my working career I was a draughtsman for a number of years. They don’t make Tee squares for left handed draughtsmen. I was okay because I used my right hand for working on the drawing board. The natural left handers had much difficulty producing drawings.

However, National Service brought back the reality of being left handed. I was in the Royal Engineers
trained in mine and explosives warfare. However every soldier, even if they are a clerk, is given training in firing a rifle. That rifle stays with him.

So for a left handed person, all the moving mechanisms of the rifle are on the wrong side of the face.
I would have hated to be a left handed rifleman in the infantry at the frontline. It must be horrible.

Sorry, I have drifted off topic, AGAIN, but I am trying to justify the reason why I got thumped on the left hand at school. The teachers weren’t doing it because they were sadistic, I hope!

+Quote Post
sumac
post 14th Oct 2020, 12:30pm
Post #579

Super City Key Holder
I mentioned earlier in a post about my older sister who was belted in P1 for being left-handed. She became ambidextrous much later and even tried for the Guinness Book of Records for the quickest writing in both hands. She failed by 1 second. My son is now ambidextrous but not because of any punishments. He found writing with a fountain pen, as an accountant, very messy!

--------------------

+Quote Post

39 Pages V  « < 37 38 39
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd Dec 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.